The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What style of play do you see Benning taking the team in the future

Ronalds.Kenins41

Style of Play  

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As we all know we are currently in a retooling state for the team and we will draft and build up for the future while at the same time trying to remain competitive. However, what style of play do you think Benning is leaning towards to make the future canucks?

I think he is trying to make us like Boston, New Jersey(1996-2003) and LA. Considering how successful these teams have been having 6 stanley cups and 8 finals appearances between them. Considering the pieces we currently have (Edler, Tanev, Horvat, Kassian, Miathas, McCann and Virtanen) I can see us potentially forming our own version of a good defensive specialized teams. And if this it will be good for the playoffs.

I mean look at the last ten years, only two teams have broken the 310 goal mark in the regular season (the Wasington Capitals in 09/10 winning the presidents trophy that year and the Ottawa Senators in 05/06 coming in second place in the league that year). The caps of course had Ovi, Backstrom and Fleichesman in their prime. The Sens had Alfredson, Spezza and Heatly in their primes. These were both great offensive lines.

The caps however ran into the great defensive of play of the habs and Halak and lost the series despite being the highest scoring team in regular season in the last 19 years (dating back to 1995/1996 season). The Sens had much of the same story as after first game against Buffolo in which they lost 6-7 in OT they scored 7 goals for the remainder of the series as the the Sabres played well defensively afterwards and took the series 4-1. The same thing happened to us in 2012 when we had the 4th highest scoring team in the league and lost to the kings who played well the entire playoffs despite being 29th in scoring. We also can't forget what the Bruins did to the Penguins when they swept them and held Malkin and Crosby without a goal. There are some exceptions to this like the flyers beating Montreal, and the hawks beating the Bruins but for the most part good defensive play beats good offensive play in the playoffs.

Thoughts?

It also looks like we are shying away from the solely two-way D approach and are trying to build a more well rounded d-core.

Big physical defensive defenseman and skilled small offensive defenseman are being added to our propsect pool. With that being said we still will probably have some two-way defenders moving forward like Corrado, Tanev, etc.

I'd like to see fast 2-way centers that I can trust in all situations (Horvat/McCann).

Preferably they have a good mix of defensive and offensive awareness, speed, tenacity, good F/O%.

On the wings I'd like to see a mix of at least 3+ attributes on this list:

Speed

Size

Vision / playmaking ability

Shooting skill (hard shot, quick release, accurate)

Durable (not prone to injury, physically strong enough for long seasons)

Tenacious/Sandpaper - Ability to scrap, play hard every shift, go to the hard areas, win board battles, sparks our team

Top-6 - Virtanen, Kassian (when he plays well),

Bottom-6 - Gaunce, Cassels, Kenins

He's trying to build a team similar to the mindset of how Boston is playing. Of course you can always out hit the other team, but if you have fewer goals , you will lose. He's trying to build a team with sheer toughness and physical play with emphasis to offence, the more intimating the team can be, it can actually cause an effect to the other teams players to be intimated and not play to it's full potential when faced with that type of adversity of facing such a tough team. Jake Virtannen is pretty much an example of that. He goes around hitting people non stop, add to the mix, he has some game offensive, and a deadly sniper, a mix of a deadly combonation that is rare to find. Jared McCann, also not afraid when the game gets physical. Andrey Pedan is also a prelude of what he wants his team to play like.

not only that, playing on a tough team can also give your star players a mental edge, lets not over think it, if there are elite offensive players available i'm sure he will consider it.

Look to see him assemble a team more towards the Boston Bruins.

Meat and Potatoes.

Lot's of skill, (Virtanen, McCann, Horvat, Shinkaruk, Jensen, (2015 draft pick)

Lot's of speed, (Virtanen, McCann, Jensen, etc)

Lot's of size, (Virtanen, Horvat, Gaunce, Jensen, Kassian)

And this is why, Virtanen was a great pick for us. Mix of everything, especially size, skill, and speed.

i think he'll build a team with size speed and skill

you cannot get one type of player to fulfill all the needs of a team

even though the best players were put on the canadian olympic team

some were asked to play different roles than they normally played

it is the right combination of talent and chemistry that elevates a team to be elite

what i do wish to see however is that we obtain stronger characters

players who will give an honest effort no matter what the score

with a minimal sense of entitlement

the economic structure of the game will ensure all players are extremely well paid

if they are good enough to make the nhl they should get their fair share

they are entertainers after all, not unlike hollywood starts

but what they put on display is athletic talent and passion

the passion and compete level is so often missing these days i find

one of the attributes of the calgary flames is they seem to play with greater passion night in and night out than pretty much any other team in the nhl

they are not an elite team yet

but they have the lowest payroll in the league (i think) yet work hard every game

I'd say the Boston-model, but not the Boston-model you're thinking of OP.

If you're comparing Boston to New Jersey, you're probably thinking that Boston plays a trap style (which they don't), when they play a heavy fore-checking game with speed that comes at you in waves. This takes mobile, big d-men who can move the puck quickly, and a nice mix of heavy forwards with strong board presence and speedy forwards.

This is the sort of team that I think JB is assembling.

That poll is way to complicated for me.

I woulda voted Winning style, or champion style.

Sorry for interrupting your discussion.

i kind of agree

the canucks brass, recently hired, have made it clear that they intend to have a team

that plays an entertaining brand of hockey

i think they were referring to the style exemplified by the 2010/2011 team

exciting offensive hockey with a solid defence

certainly not a trapping style of hockey

Benning addressed this in his first presser:

“We need to get back to what we’re good at. This organization needs to play an uptempo, fast, skating, skilled game.

Before last season, this team had almost an attitude, a relentless attitude where they were going to skate, wear teams down and score.

Vancouver plays in what may be the toughest division in the league. To win our division, we’re going to have to go through the Anaheims, the San Joses, and the LAs.

They’re big, heavy teams.

So, when we talk to our scouting staff, one of our mandates is let’s try to get bigger. Let’s get more rugged. So we can play both styles. So we can play a skilled, skating style when we need. But when it’s a rugged physical game, we can play that style, too.”

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/05/23/jim-bennings-first-day-what-we-learned/

“We need to get back to what we’re good at. This organization needs to play an uptempo, fast, skating, skilled game.

Before last season, this team had almost an attitude, a relentless attitude where they were going to skate, wear teams down and score.”

this

and we can thank AV for implementing that style

Before last season, this team had almost an attitude, a relentless attitude where they were going to skate, wear teams down and score.

Vancouver plays in what may be the toughest division in the league. To win our division, we’re going to have to go through the Anaheims, the San Joses, and the LAs.

They’re big, heavy teams.

So, when we talk to our scouting staff, one of our mandates is let’s try to get bigger. Let’s get more rugged. So we can play both styles. So we can play a skilled, skating style when we need. But when it’s a rugged physical game, we can play that style, too.”

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/05/23/jim-bennings-first-day-what-we-learned/

We don't however the pieces to have the speed in the line up. In the minny game we were clearly outskated by them leading to many turnovers, and grade A scoring chances. Kenins, Maithas and Hansen are our only fast skaters up to this point.

I'd say the Boston-model, but not the Boston-model you're thinking of OP.

If you're comparing Boston to New Jersey, you're probably thinking that Boston plays a trap style (which they don't), when they play a heavy fore-checking game with speed that comes at you in waves. This takes mobile, big d-men who can move the puck quickly, and a nice mix of heavy forwards with strong board presence and speedy forwards.

This is the sort of team that I think JB is assembling.

I meant as in the end result is the same, it was tough to score goals on them.

Archived