The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The "Chicken Wing"

goblix

Just now I was watching the QMJHL hockey game of Shawinigan Cataractes vs Halifax Mooseheads where Ehlers (Halifax) got an unsportsmanlike penalty at 11:30 into the 2nd period.

The reason he got the penalty was because a player had is stick waist high as they were skating back for the puck, Ehlers then chicken winged the stick into his body and preceded to fall down on the ice like he was hooked the refs called the penalty on Ehlers.

I was first irate at the refs because I thought it was a hook but after looking at the replay it was pretty clear that Ehlers was 100% in the fault. I was amazed that the refs actually called it and good on them.

Is it just me that this "Chicken Wing" thing happens a lot in the NHL and usually ends up drawing the hooking penalty. I understand it'd be hard for the refs to actually call and spot but I'd be happy to see them call it the way they did in the QMJHL game.

I'll try to find a replay of it and will add it in here, and will try to find an NHL example.

What do you think?

would this be too hard for the refs to call consistently or should the players have own up and avoid the situation?

It definitely happens in the NHL, a lot more than many people realize too.

This is one I can understand the refs missing though, you need to be in the right place to catch the "chicken wing".

This is where having a coaches challenge so the refs could review it would come in handy. But until that happens (likely never) the league should give embellishment fines to those who are caught.

Ha Kes... Who knows if he was getting hooked by Weber all night. Refs don't call little things in the playoffs. They call blatant penalties for the most part.

Fans want these guys to do whatever it takes to get to a cup, but get irritated if players like Kes lean in on sticks to make sure the ref sees the infraction. Not like it's the dirtiest play in hockey.

I'm not saying it's a good idea. (ref's keep books on players) But again, it was the playoffs.

Trying to get the refs to make calls, was basically what burnt us in the finals. Usually best to stick to the game.

Ha Kes... Who knows if he was getting hooked by Weber all night. Refs don't call little things in the playoffs. They call blatant penalties for the most part.

Fans want these guys to do whatever it takes to get to a cup, but get irritated if players like Kes lean in on sticks to make sure the ref sees the infraction. Not like it's the dirtiest play in hockey.

I'm not saying it's a good idea. (ref's keep books on players) But again, it was the playoffs.

Trying to get the refs to make calls, was basically what burnt us in the finals. Usually best to stick to the game.

I think this trend of calling penalties(or non ones) in the playoffs differently has to stop.

Complete consistency (or an attempt at such) is what I would like to see.

I think this trend of calling penalties(or non ones) in the playoffs differently has to stop.

Complete consistency (or an attempt at such) is what I would like to see.

I agree. What sucks about it is this: Where a skill team might be protected from calls during regular season, they get utterly beaten down in the playoffs by teams with more grit and brawn because there's all of the sudden more acceptance of heavily destructive hits. The whistle somehow gets put away for minor infractions in the name of keeping pace and excitement up.

I guess it's why they say, if you can make it to the playoffs, it's a whole new game. It pretty much is.

(Canucks/Bruins *cough *cough... still got that cold dangit...*sniff*)

Archived