The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who do you want back next season?

Outsiders

Who do/dont want back next season   

135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Trade Richardson at the deadline, see which one of Higgins/Hansen have the most value and deal one of them. If Matthias wants more then 2.5 million, deal him at the deadline to a contender. Bold move IMO, would be dangle Bonino. See if a team would be willing to part an emerging top 4 d-man for him. Deal one of Stanton/Sbisa for a pick/prospect. Trade Weber for w/e you can get, and keep Kassian for one more year and hope to god he can find consistency.

I'd rather be discussing what people thought that Benning was actually going to do in the offseason.

What kind of a team is Benning building?

• speed, size, skill, character, sandpaper, balance (not all players can possess all of these attributes but as a collective, yes)

Who fits on the present roster?

• Sedins, Burrows, Vrbata, Bieksa, Richardson, Dorsett, Hansen, Edler, Matthias, Tanev, Horvat, Kenins

Who is tradeable?

• Hamhuis, Higgins, Bonino, Lack

I like Hamhuis a lot but wonder if he can/should be moved at his age (32) while he would still fetch a good price. The right time would be by this years deadline but considering Bieksa's injury and now Edler, he probably stays.

Higgins is getting long in the tooth (31), is strong defensively but offers very little offensively any more. I think he could be moved while he still has value.

Bonino I think is an odd man out going forward. At 26, will he develop into a true 2C. I think that he's demonstrating that he is better as a 3C and the Canucks have several of those already. Richardson I think holds more value to the Canucks from a leadership and defensive standpoint, offensively Bonino holds an edge 25 points to Richardsons 19. There are arguments either way. You could say that Horvat will take Richardsons role in the future and Benning may go there because Richardson is 29.

I don't think that we are going to see a lot of trades from Benning although there may be some surprises. Real growth is going to come through drafting and development as he has said. Goals for trading will be that 2C and depth on D. Failing that, draft picks.

I'd agree with much of your summary. I would add that Matthius has looked better at centre than either Bonino or Richardson. How ever here's the asertix you have to put besides Bonino who brought him here...yup !! So Bonino, who I think you could get some thing for in a trade, will remain. I like Richardson and I don't think he will cost much, he is an in your face player and we know the Canucks are short of that commodity, and the PK hasn't looked the same since he was injured.

Higgins I believe has a NTC so he's going to be difficult to get any value, but he's not a 2nd line player .... and frankly he should with that salary.

IMO Sbisa ( but see Boninos comments...JB boy ) should be moved and save a couple of million on the Cap

Keep in mind players that are FA's include (Tanev, Dorsett, Matthius and Richardson ) Tanev wants a 4-5 million deal and the Cap may stay as is or some say maybe decrease with the low Cdn $. Some how Vcr MUST get some players on ELC in to the roster and bring down their cap hit.

While GM's in general show loyalty to players that they bring in themselves. We don't know this about Benning for sure yet.

I look at Bonino and think, how many of the key attributes that Benning wants does he possess? And as compared to some of the other centres competing for 3C.

Matthias may be the 3C that they want given his more physical play. He showed well v Chicago and esp Boston but laid an egg last night v Calgary. But I think we could have expected a let down in play by everybody after 2 big wins. Small sample size on Matthias at C recently.

Ok Ill play.

Sedins Vrbatta 19m

Bones _____ Burr 6.4+

Virt Matthias Kass 6m

Dorsett BoHo Vey 4.5m

--------------------

Kenins Gaunce Jensen

Edler Tanev? 8.5ish

Ham Juice 9.1m

Sbisa Corrado 3.5m

--------------

Stanton Clendenning

Miller 6m?

Lack/Markstrom?

Out Richardson, Higgins, Hansen one of our goalies

The way I see it between now and next year our main priority should be to acquire a top 6 Center for the 2nd line in the 5m range to give us the leeway to bring our youth up into the fold without over exposing them if they falter. If we managed to unload Miller for a second we could also afford another top 4d and displace Bieksa down to bottom pairing into a mentoring role. We would then also have one of the better D cores in the NHL to put infront of our Markstrom/Lack duo and further support our youth movement.

Targets:

P Sharp (would be great to have in the room chi is in cap trouble we might get a good deal)

Vermette (ufa great on faceoffs and speedy with good size)

ROR (Can log a ton of mins and line up against anyone)

Bozak (RHC were low on those he's solid on special teams and might come at a discount. Playing on the 2nd might be good for him)

Hanzal (he's big good on the dot decent #s for 2nd liner can shut down won't be hurting our players anymore)

Coutourier (young responsible)

B Sutter ( RHC shut down guy Never a bad thing to have a Sutter)

I think Horvat will be ready to take Richardson's role. He might already be actually but they are bringing him along slowly which is fine.

If Matthias is able to be re-signed for a reasonable contract (based on him being a solid 3rd liner NOT top 6 money and term) then he could also be a good option on either the wing or center on the 3rd line. If he wants to much money or term then it would be best to trade him at the deadline rather than lose him for nothing. Same thing with Dorsett. A good fit on the 4th line but only if the money and term make sense.

One of the issues Gillis had was overpaying and giving NTC to bottom 6 players. Benning needs to buck that trend. We need those guys on affordable contracts so we can somehow find some top 6 and top 3 D talent with the cap space to get them. With Kenins, Vey, Horvat, etc. and possibly a couple of guys from the farm on cheap contracts I think all 3 of our UFA's could be expendable if they can bring back assets at the deadline.

Kassian and Vey might be ready for top 6 time next season. Let's hope so.

Higgins needs to go and possibly Hansen too. Both are still valuable players and could help contenders this year. It also could clear spots and cap for a few more young guys.

Tanev is another one who is great but who should only be kept if the contract makes sense. I don't see him bringing enough to be paid the huge money and term of a top pairing type two way dman.

Our young guys - Horvat, Kassian, Vey, and Kenins along with Clendening, Stanton, and Sbisa on D - are more exciting to me to watch grow than watching our aging vets try to recapture past glory but that is just me.

We can only hold on to so many veterans in order to get kids up in the lineup. I want to see this to start next season:

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Vbrata - Bonino - Vey

Jensen - Matthias - Burrows

Shinkaruk - Horvat - Hansen

Gaunce

Obviously Burrows/Sedins/Bonino/Vbrata are going to be hard to get rid off and don't deserve to leave. Matthias has been superb, is still young and deserves that 3C role and will be fighting Horvat for more minutes all season long. Richardson is therefore dispensable. Higgins has been pathetic and despite his low cap, his minutes are better served to Vey who is improving every single game, Jensen or Shinkaruk who after this year in Utica deserve a shot in the NHL. While Dorsett has looked great this season too, he too is expendable.

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Clendening

Sbisa - Bieksa

Corrado

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

After three years, I'm fairly confident that this will never be a permanent thing like Sedins and Burr, or even Vrbata

First reason is defense - Sedins and Kass are just not a good unit to have in our own zone

Second reason is that Kass is another distributor, not a shooter - the Sedins need a trigger man

I would rather put Matthias there than Kass because at least he shoots and drives the net consistently

Hoping we could turn some of Higgins, Hansen, Richardson and maybe Lack into some good quality hockey trades. They all seem to be replaceable by younger guys coming in this year and the next. All of them could get us a reasonable return. Same goes with Matthias, even if he is doing pretty well right now and looks for the moment to be a keeper.

Archived