The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Marc Methot re-signs in Ottawa

Outsiders

Ottawa Senators@Senators 17m

BREAKING: #Sens sign defenceman Marc Methot to a four-year contract extension.

Ottawa Senators@Senators 15m

#Sens Methot’s contract has an AAV of $4.9 million. ($4.9M in each of the four seasons).

Ottawa Senators@Senators 18m

#Sens Methot’s contract includes a modified 10-team no trade clause.

It's pretty simple. Karlsson gets what he wants in OTT. If you have a Norris winning defenceman on your team and he says "x player makes him the player he is, and without x player, his performance would drop"... you do what he says lol.

Straight off the playground, "dawg"

:picard:

:shrugs: You did open yourself up for that one, and on a family friendly board to boot, so...

But Methot and Tanev have some similarities. TOI/60, points/game, fairly low PIMs are comparables but Methot hits more and Tanev blocks more (a lot more). Methot also has less giveaways per game though (albeit with less takaways as well). Hard to say how negotiations will go on that front and what money will be available to Tanev to see if he takes shorter term or longer term.

Are you saying it's all Methot? Is he? Because that's ridiculous.

I'm only saying what I remember hearing that Karlsson wanted Methot to stay.

http://www.tsn.ca/trade-talk-will-methot-stay-or-go-1.208055

Capital Loss?

With Marc Methot's future with the Ottawa Senators to be decided one way or the other prior to the March 2 Trade Deadline, the defenceman's teammates are in no hurry to see him go, says The Ottawa Sun's Don Brennan.

While Methot's agent, Mike Luit, and assistant general manager Pierre Dorion are in contact over an extension for the defenceman, the distinct possibility remains that the 29-year-old will be dealt if no deal is reached.

That doesn't sit well with captain Erik Karlsson.

"He's a big part of our team," said Karlsson. "Guys like him, even though he doesn't put up tons of points every year ... he's important to have. He's a veteran and he plays hard every night. Obviously, he's a major key to my success as well. We've been playing together for a while, and been playing really good with him. Obviously, if he goes for whatever reason, it's going to hurt not only the team. but me, as well."

As negotiations continue, chances are they're going to be secretive. Brennan reports that Luit and Senators management have agreed to refrain from public comment until they conclude.

I'm only saying what I remember hearing that Karlsson wanted Methot to stay.

http://www.tsn.ca/trade-talk-will-methot-stay-or-go-1.208055

Capital Loss?

With Marc Methot's future with the Ottawa Senators to be decided one way or the other prior to the March 2 Trade Deadline, the defenceman's teammates are in no hurry to see him go, says The Ottawa Sun's Don Brennan.

While Methot's agent, Mike Luit, and assistant general manager Pierre Dorion are in contact over an extension for the defenceman, the distinct possibility remains that the 29-year-old will be dealt if no deal is reached.

That doesn't sit well with captain Erik Karlsson.

"He's a big part of our team," said Karlsson. "Guys like him, even though he doesn't put up tons of points every year ... he's important to have. He's a veteran and he plays hard every night. Obviously, he's a major key to my success as well. We've been playing together for a while, and been playing really good with him. Obviously, if he goes for whatever reason, it's going to hurt not only the team. but me, as well."

As negotiations continue, chances are they're going to be secretive. Brennan reports that Luit and Senators management have agreed to refrain from public comment until they conclude.

Too bad Karlsson couldn't talk him into taking a more cap-friendly deal then.

Damn it.. we need a guy like him and I was hoping we give him a call on July 1st

4.9 million is pretty steep though

Tanev is going to want at least 4

Yeah but is he going to get what he wants?

We'll see. I hope Benning doesn't see Tanev as being a 4+ million dollar man

4 years 4.9 mil for Methot is a bit high for sure. But it is not really a comparable for Tanev. He was a pending UFA for one and he brings a physical game to their top pairing too which Ottawa sorely needs. Plus they have tons of cap space to spend unlike the Canucks.

As an RFA this should set Tanev up for somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 - 3.5 million imo which is very fair value for what he brings and what he doesn't.

Archived