The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Among 19 yr old rookies, Bo is #3 in scoring

*Buzzsaw*

Bo horvat has looked real good lately. Can you guys imagine if we still had torts? Would he still make the team? Or if he did, how would his development look as torts doesn't play the 4th line much. Willie has done a great job with Bo.

Horvat reminds me a lot of toews. His demeanour, strong on the puck, always around the net, skates similar and plays with heart..just sayin

Yup. He did say he wanted to model his game after toews if I remember correctly. The difference is horbat seems to be more mature already.

Hard to really compare as they are different players in different roles.

Would Forsberg being a potential 40g - 100pts player be more valuable than the Norris-potential Ekblad who will put up 50+ points? And how does that compare to Bo Horvat whose trajectory will make him a 60-70pts shutdown Selke-level centre?

Forsberg will not be a 100 point player. Hell, even Sidney Crosby has troubling surpassing the 100 point mark in today's NHL.

Bo's a great prospect, you can't really compare him to Forsberg or Gaudreu as they fill different roles, Bo is more of a 2 way forward, Forsberg and Gaudreu are straight play making guys. Bo is destined to be a 2/3 C with a strong upside on the PK, and provide good secondary scoring. Forsberg and Gaudreu don't have that defensive ability that Bo has potential for, and Bo doesnt have the speed and creativity that Forsberg and Gaudrue posses, and, comparing him to a D (Ekblad) is useless. Bo's great and will fill his destinted role perfect, on top of his playing ability, from what Ive seen, he also posseses leadership qualities making him a good potential future C or A.

This is a misconception that I would really like to see die. Just because a guy has a very good defensive game does not mean he can't be a first liner.

If your first line can score moderately while really keeping top opposing players in check, the goal differential (and thus wins over a season) will be the same as if the team had a superstar points producing first line that plays crap defense. 2 way play does not mean a lack of potential.

The question is: can Horvat be so good at defense while still generating, say 2nd line offense? If so, that's a first liner.

Yup. He did say he wanted to model his game after toews if I remember correctly. The difference is horbat seems to be more mature already.

???

LOL

To me, Bo Horvat's excellent play is like a "make good" or payback for all the overhyping of Cody Hodgson. Horvat is a hard working, skilled, future captain type of player Hodgson was supposed to be. Horvat is also much stronger so I'd say he's better built to play in this league and especially this conference.

Can't wait to see this guy mature and get even more comfortable with his abilities at this level. He's making that trade look better every game he plays.

Where are all the idiots that say that you should develop in the chl and Ahl?????

Idiots is a strong word. A player of Bo's caliber is an exception, not the rule. He's also being developed with a very specific role in restrained minutes and is only slowly being given more responsibility. He wasn't thrown into the thick of things immediately. They've done an excellent job at preparing him for his role. He is already quickly becoming a fully dependable member on the team who has a shot at 2nd line centre before the year ends in December.

Most prospects aren't that quick and it is beneficial to slowly develop them through the leagues. As a rule, as Willie and Benning have both said, players should not be brought up early unless they can handle it. Bo can because he is a special player. Most prospects require more time and will be better for playing junior and AHL minutes before getting crunched in the big leagues.

So don't look at people who don't want to go the Edmonton route or get a Brule situation and call them idiots because of one exception to the general rule.

To me, Bo Horvat's excellent play is like a "make good" or payback for all the overhyping of Cody Hodgson. Horvat is a hard working, skilled, future captain type of player Hodgson was supposed to be. Horvat is also much stronger so I'd say he's better built to play in this league and especially this conference.

Can't wait to see this guy mature and get even more comfortable with his abilities at this level. He's making that trade look better every game he plays.

He basically is doing everything we wanted from Hodgson and more, minus Hodgson's accurate shot while also years younger. He's bigger, faster, stronger, better defensively, more aware, more patient, and a host of other things. Horvat's the best prospect I've seen since Kesler was drafted. Now I don't want to get ahead of myself hear as he is only 19, but he has franchise player potential in him. Whether he reaches that or not remains to be seen, but the potential is there.

He basically is doing everything we wanted from Hodgson and more, minus Hodgson's accurate shot while also years younger. He's bigger, faster, stronger, better defensively, more aware, more patient, and a host of other things. Horvat's the best prospect I've seen since Kesler was drafted. Now I don't want to get ahead of myself hear as he is only 19, but he has franchise player potential in him. Whether he reaches that or not remains to be seen, but the potential is there.

Horvat at 19 is outperforming Kesler at 21. He's a much better prospect at this stage of the game.

Ryan ended up developing more than anyone expected... but maybe Bo can too? Excited at the thought of it!

I knew Bo reminded me of someone and I couldnt put my finger on it..it finally hit me lastnight watching the game..he has a game very similar to the late Peter Zezel...even same build and weight as him..takes faceoffs and hits like him as well.....Zezel was a hell of a player in his prime..Bo is starting out the same.

Pretty good call there Garth!

This is a misconception that I would really like to see die. Just because a guy has a very good defensive game does not mean he can't be a first liner.

If your first line can score moderately while really keeping top opposing players in check, the goal differential (and thus wins over a season) will be the same as if the team had a superstar points producing first line that plays crap defense. 2 way play does not mean a lack of potential.

The question is: can Horvat be so good at defense while still generating, say 2nd line offense? If so, that's a first liner.

Correct > See David Backes (less the bad attitude I hope).

Horvat at 19 is outperforming Kesler at 21. He's a much better prospect at this stage of the game.

Ryan ended up developing more than anyone expected... but maybe Bo can too? Excited at the thought of it!

Agreed. That's what makes him so exciting. And before Kesler was the Sedins. Nazzy wasn't drafted by us and was a surprise how far he came after he came from Pits. So it's arguable Horvat is in the top 5-10 most exciting draft picks we've ever had. I really hope that actually translates to the NHL past potential to actual play, but the prospect is just too appealing.

I have to admit, when the Schneider trade first happened I truly assumed Gillis was floundering/got flustered and made a split-second decision to make the deal. I thought, great... another 2-way forward with size and leadership... the same player we've been drafting for the entire Gillis era. But Bo is exactly the kind of young player you trade a Schneider for - someone who understands the game at a very base level and what it means to be a hockey player. He's not flashy, he's not cocky, he just shows up and plays the game the right way. I do think we still need an offensive dynamo (maybe Hunter, Virtanen, or McCann will emerge), but Horvat is the kind of the player you build around and Gillis saw that. As has been said in this thread multiple times, one of the best prospects we've ever had, and even if his offensive ceiling isn't crazy high, he's an example for every other young player in our organization going forward. He's almost a lock to be our next captain.

Archived