The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Del Zotto, Cole could be coming to Vancouver

DelZotto is RFA at the end of the year, not UFA BTW.

Considering we need help with Edler out its not a bad play. Just depends on cost.

Personally I think Philly would much prefer to unload some of their old guard on D. Timonen is due back this week in Philly, prob next week back in Nashville? LOL They should trade, if they can, at least one of Grossman, Schultz or Coburn. Plus any taker on Luke Schenn.

Result is either an even older player for a year or Higgins gone for nothing.

Not getting older, no rentals coming in, and no picks going out.

Proposed - Erik Cole for Chris Higgins + conditional pick (late-round pick if VAN re-signs Cole)

1. No pick goes out if we don't re-sign Cole - which we definitely won't
  2. We add a 20+goal scorer (on pace) for a 10+ goal scorer (on pace)
  3. Not only that, we make room for next season - with Higgins traded and Cole walking in the summer, all the young prospects have a chance to walk into a middle 6 role

This move basically improves our chances at the playoffs (Cole > Higgins this year) without compromising the future (draft picks/prospects for rentals) AND makes room in the middle 6 position for prospects next season

Win, win AND win

The only problem: Does DAL want Higgins?

If DAL decides that their team isn't going to make the playoffs, then DAL would want draft picks/prospects. If no team offers something decent enough in that regard, only then do I see DAL considering a trade for a veteran with term that they can possibly flip in the future or keep (like Higgins)

If DAL is undecided and still wants to make a push for the playoffs, I would imagine that they keep Cole over trading for Higgins for the very reason I laid out for VAN to trade for him - it creates room for prospects next season and Cole is still contributing 20+ goals this year

Cole...ya no. There's less than no reason to have him here. Bigger contract complaints about living/playing in canada injury history.

MDZ, intriguing but again almost redundant right now as he'd be a mere rental type player in a sense that by the time Bieksa Tanev and Edler are better he isn't truly better than any of our current 5-6 players and I'd like to avoid taking time away from Clendenning/Stanton and soon to be Bo-Sang by some accounts

I don't see anything in this rumour that helps this team

Then it's Higgins for a rental, instead of a pick or part of a package, then left with nothing. Waste of an asset.

Benning has been clear -- no picks out and no rentals in.

No, he won't overpay for rentals - he didn't say no rentals period

Zotto in a heart beat. Look what Tanev did for Edler. Del Zotto has more offensive potential than Edler too. Only 24. I'd take a stab on him for the right price.

Please.. Tanev didn't do anything for Edler

Please... Tanev babysits Edler...

LOL Edler is our #1 defenseman and Tanev is lucky to play Robin due to our lack of depth on the right side

Archived