The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning on TSN1040 tonight

Outsiders

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/benning-miller-will-not-be-rushed-back-1.216359

Benning: Miller will not be rushed back

Canucks GM Jim Benning joins Jeff Paterson for an update on the Canucks injury situation. Benning confirms Ryan Miller will miss 4-6 weeks and the club will not bring him back until the goaltender is 100 percent healthy. Benning goes on to say he is happy with how the team has battled through adversity.

Quick summary:

- been on Kassian all year regarding consistency

- Kass has stepped up and played well despite some frustrations early on

- MRI shows a sprained knee, 4-6 weeks

- Tanev won't go to Buffalo, still skating and he's close to practicing with the team

- Edler has been skating, feeling better as the days go by, hope is that he'll be ready to practice at the end of the road trip

- Burrows not likely to play tomorrow as there may be a risk of agrivating a slight injury, hope to be practicing with the team when they return from the road trip

- Richardson skating, slow healing regarding his foot injury, day to day, might play next stretch of home games

- Bergenheim trade was not something Benning was willing to pay for, cost too high in draft picks and top prospects

- Benning likes the depth that has been called up and stepped up, mentioned Kenins chemistry with Bo and Biega's physicality specifically

- Benning likes how Bo has been eased into the NHL, his comfort level in the league, physicality, good at seperating Dmen from pucks, praised his ability to work hard

- Kenins stood out at training camp as a hard working forechecker who makes good plays with the puck, staff wanted him to get adjusted to North American ice in Utica, played the same way there as he has in Vancouver, has skill, makes good plays, for some reason scoring more here that in the AHL

- scouting Matt O'Connor, just talk at this point regarding any contract as many teams are doing

- Eddie Lack playing great, Benning wants good goalies coming up through the system

- Higgins is a glue guy in the dressing room, hard worker, good on PK, snake bitten of late but doing lots to contribute to the team play

- working hard on Tanev contract

- more time on RFA contracts after trade deadline

- confident that Jordan Subban will be signed

The worst thing in there is that he considers Higgins a "core" guy. Guess we can look forward to no upgrade to the top 6 winger spot anytime soon..... :(

I consider Higgins just out of the "core". He is a player every single team in the NHL wants, it is noticeable when he is out of the line-up (still better suited as a 3rd liner IMO)

The worst thing in there is that he considers Higgins a "core" guy. Guess we can look forward to no upgrade to the top 6 winger spot anytime soon..... :(

Although he praised Higgins' work ethic and contributions to the team I never heard him use the word "core" once in the whole interview, let alone for Higgins.

Maybe I missed that part...

edit: he called Higgins a "glue" guy so I guess it's up for debate whether or not glue = core, in my opinion they aren't the same but you need glue guys to support the core

What else will he say to a vet? "He's not a part of the team and he's going to be traded for sure"... What are we? Toronto?

Although he praised Higgins' work ethic and contributions to the team I never heard him use the word "core" once in the whole interview, let alone for Higgins.

Maybe I missed that part...

edit: he called Higgins a "glue" guy so I guess it's up for debate whether or not glue = core, in my opinion they aren't the same but you need glue guys to support the core

Did he call him "really good" or just "good"?

Being a glue guy is an important intangible and Higgins is good defensively and along the boards etc. There is value in that. But....

When the season ends and the cap for next year is known, Benning will have some tough decisions to make.

There is the Tanev contract and the 3 UFA's. There is also the possibility of trading for a top 6 scoring forward or defense and the likelihood of moving a goalie. All these things considered, JB will have to squeeze everything under the cap and he'll have to weigh the pro's and con's of a lot of players in question.

Players like Horvat, Matthias, Kenins, Biega, and Clendening have developed better than expected so this may cause Benning to make adjustments to his overall plan. I think that Benning will be quite busy and he may have to let some players go. I think that Higgins could be on the list and maybe others.

I can't wait to see how it all plays out.

1. Since when does glue mean core?

2. Why would Higgins being a core guy diminish the possibility of a top 6 forward being added? Last I checked, they aren't all that deep at RW, either. Not to mention that a core guy could play bottom 6 minutes a la Patrick Sharp in Chicago this year.

Well, you know... We've been on him all season long about his work ethic... About his consistency...

And I know he was getting frustrated and all...

But he's getting his confidence back.

And he's starting to get some results!

Y'know, I think part of it was laziness on Zack's part. Part of what made him so frustrating was his lack of effort and drive on plays. Completely unmotivated. I think he changed his attitude fast when he realized his spot on the team was replaceable, IE getting scratched.

I consider Higgins just out of the "core". He is a player every single team in the NHL wants, it is noticeable when he is out of the line-up (still better suited as a 3rd liner IMO)

You can be a glue guy as a third line winger. In fact this Canucks team is pretty good when Higgins is legit on the third line (not just as a shuffle)... No PP time no leaning on his scoring ... I feel the same way about Matthias but he's less likely to try and find a hole through the goalies crest when he shoots at least.

I'm saying we need another guy who can score to play ahead of higgs. Guess that could be kassian, if he'd seize it. But more likely we either a) will trade for such a guy or B) and more likely...won't. And stay not quite good enough this year.

Y'know, I think part of it was laziness on Zack's part. Part of what made him so frustrating was his lack of effort and drive on plays. Completely unmotivated. I think he changed his attitude fast when he realized his spot on the team was replaceable, IE getting scratched.

I agree with everything you said, except that I would exchange laziness for complacency. Like he was playing as though he deserved a spot and didn't necessarily have to play to keep it.

Could be splitting hairs though if they both result in a lazy looking approach to the game.

Being a glue guy is an important intangible and Higgins is good defensively and along the boards etc. There is value in that. But....

When the season ends and the cap for next year is known, Benning will have some tough decisions to make.

There is the Tanev contract and the 3 UFA's. There is also the possibility of trading for a top 6 scoring forward or defense and the likelihood of moving a goalie. All these things considered, JB will have to squeeze everything under the cap and he'll have to weigh the pro's and con's of a lot of players in question.

Players like Horvat, Matthias, Kenins, Biega, and Clendening have developed better than expected so this may cause Benning to make adjustments to his overall plan. I think that Benning will be quite busy and he may have to let some players go. I think that Higgins could be on the list and maybe others.

I can't wait to see how it all plays out.

You know what's nice about all the young guys contributing night in and night out is that their cheap contracts makes more $ available for other players. I know that seems like an obvious point but I figured it was worth pointing out.

No to Kessel and his 8 million dollar contract for the next forever though.

'Glue" guy means he ties the rest of the forwards together. He solidifies a group. He doesn't do anything spectacularly but he's good in all facets. He helps make the whole better than the parts. He helps the make up of the line-up better by chipping in all over and thats a necessity to winning teams. Good with their teammates.

It's not the same as being 'core.'

A glue guy on D does the same thing. They won't make All Star teams, and likely never in a prominent role, but they are solid guys that can be counted on when they play the minutes. Think of like a Chris Phillips or Trevor Daley.

Character players. Glue guys.

Archived