The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning on TSN1040 tonight

Outsiders

Wonder if he's going to sit pat at the trade deadline with so many injured guys coming back to boost the team, or whether he'll be really aggressive and make a trade (with say Miller on LTIR, so his cap off the books), then come playoff time have everyone on the payroll not counting towards the cap. Teams that do this often have a lot of success, but issues in the off-season and with so many RFA's, we could play around a bit.

Put Miller on LTIR, make a play for a star like Kessel or Yandle.

Glue guy eh? I thought Higgins had become expendable but I guess GM knows more than me for sure. Can't deny that Higgins is a great third liner and makes our team better. I wonder if Higgins-Matthias-Burrows can play against LA's Carter line and contain them.

Wonder if he's going to sit pat at the trade deadline with so many injured guys coming back to boost the team, or whether he'll be really aggressive and make a trade (with say Miller on LTIR, so his cap off the books), then come playoff time have everyone on the payroll not counting towards the cap. Teams that do this often have a lot of success, but issues in the off-season and with so many RFA's, we could play around a bit.

Put Miller on LTIR, make a play for a star like Kessel or Yandle.

I think Benning will be an observer at the deadline...Who knows.,something interesting might fall into his lap...

Higgins doing glue in the locker room again. Not good. I guess what JB is saying is with all these injuries there's no time for rehab until summer.

OR

He's been fielding some offers and saying "Y'know, I'm just not sure, he really ties the team together..."

hard to say, really

I hope Jim Benning has made up his mind what he doesn't want moving forward and trades them away.

I am looking forward to him playing his hand and I hope he makes lots of moves because I've liked all his trades (and picks).

Since we are (probably) in the playoffs, roster players must be replaced either in trades or moving up from the minors.

We have had a pretty good look at a lot of our borderline roster players and while we have to keep some for depth/injuries, others could go.

Prospects that management has made up their mind are not going to make the team could go.

Keep the draft picks unless higher picks are coming back. e.g. Our "18th" + Archibald for Boston's "11th".

Lots of players coming back from injury = lots of cards to play too, c'mon Diamond Jim, deal those cards.

Y'know, I think part of it was laziness on Zack's part. Part of what made him so frustrating was his lack of effort and drive on plays. Completely unmotivated. I think he changed his attitude fast when he realized his spot on the team was replaceable, IE getting scratched.

Lazy is too strong a word for me. Even though effort comes in to play.

Last year Torts played 1 forward up, 2 sitting back in a zone on the press. Kass was one of the guys sitting back in a strategic position. And collapsing to the net in our end.

This year WD, like AV 2 years ago and prior, has all the forwards attacking the puck.

Kass was still sitting back. He was doing what got him ahead last year with a different coach and system. He probably thought an effort as good as last year was sufficient?

Then you start attacking as asked. Trying to pressure the puck you do get winded faster. And you do not press as hard as asked because you cannot yet. If you are slow to adopt the press, you are also slow to have your fitness get to the level you can keep up to it.

So I heard several interviews with Kass where he was putting in extra work bag skating. I suspect it might not have been voluntary? While he was injured and when he was sitting out. But once you get going, train hasrd enough and find that wind it suddenly allows you to break through a certain threshold.

I think he has finally broken through that this year?

Archived