The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[TRADE] Vermette to Chicago for Dahlbeck, 1st

If anything they did the right thing by trading their prospects cause they would have lost them at the end of the season.

Us on the other hand traded away Forsling for Clendenning and might not even be able to sign him considering we our logjam at D.

Why would they have lost their prospects? Oduya, Rozsval, and Timmonen are all UFAs at the end of the year and will not likely be re-signed. They're gonna need young D-men to step up.

As for not signing Clendening, of course we will. Weber and Stanton will likely be gone. Hamhuis and Bieksa only have 1 more year after this too.

Chicago has no choice, their time is now. Kane and Toews' salaries are going to severely cripple their team in the next couple years, you can't stay a contender with cap hits like that in this salary world.

You can if you have a crop of young players on ELC's that are ready to step in and fill the gaps. The argument I'm making right now.

Does anyone really think the Hawks have a better shot at the cup than they have in previous years with their best scorer out for pretty much the rest of the season?

Chicago winning the cup this year. easy

Vermette definitely makes up for losing Kane...

Chicago was in tough even with Kane in the lineup with Nashville, St.Louis and LA looking as good as they do. Take out their best scorer and their odds go way down.

With so much money tied to Kane and Toews, Bowman knows the hawks will be mediocre for years. This is their last chance go ice an incredibly deep roster. They know what the consequences are, and I don't think they really care. I wouldn't be surprised if they win the cup this year. They'll survive a couple rounds without Kane

You can if you have a crop of young players on ELC's that are ready to step in and fill the gaps. The argument I'm making right now.

Does anyone really think the Hawks have a better shot at the cup than they have in previous years with their best scorer out for pretty much the rest of the season?

They have some good prospects coming, but not nearly enough to cover the depth they are going to lose in the next couple years.

They have some good prospects coming, but not nearly enough to cover the depth they are going to lose in the next couple years.

Which is why they shouldn't be giving them away.

If you look at what they were able to do after their first cup win, it was pretty impressive. They were able to restock with young players and go for it again.

If they have Kane, sure go all in. I just don't see how it makes sense at this point. Taking Kane out is like when we lost Daniel going into the 2012 playoffs. They won't be nearly the same team.

Chicago's center core looks better than it did in 2013, Toews/Richards/Vermette/Kruger. Their D looks just as good if Oduya's back by the playoffs (maybe even better depending on how Timonen does and if Rundblad can do better than Leddy). The only thing is how will they do without Kane? Sharp's not doing as well this year, but Saad's doing better. Versteeg has done pretty well, but being on the powerplay with Kane probably helps. Teravinen is still getting use to the NHL. Hard to say, they'll definitely be leaning more on their defensive game this time around.

Forsling has potential, but lets be realistic, he's a long shot to make the NHL.

Clendening is in the NHL and playing quite solidly.

Oduya is 32, Rozsival is 35, and Timmonen is 39. They just dumped 3 NHL ready D-men under the age of 25 in the last two weeks. Not to mention their first 2 picks in a very deep draft.

It's gonna come back to bite them, just wait and see.

I personally think their D will be fine. They're good at developing in Chicago and even without the 3 you mentioned they'll have Keith, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson, Rundblad, and whoever they'll use for the 3rd pairing. It's not like LA has/had a spectacular D core.

Hawks easily win this deal. Dahlbeck isn't that great and a late 1st rounder.

Canes got a 1st and a prospect for Sekera.

Hawks didn't give up much for Vermette.

Steal for Chicago.

Haha. Yea real steal there.

Saying "it's just a late first" completely ignores how deep this draft is supposed to be.

Sekera is 28 and a top 4 defenseman that LA will probably re-sign. Vermette is a 32 year old pending UFA that Chicago probably won't re-sign. Huge difference.

Steal? :picard:

I personally think their D will be fine. They're good at developing in Chicago and even without the 3 you mentioned they'll have Keith, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson, Rundblad, and whoever they'll use for the 3rd pairing. It's not like LA has/had a spectacular D core.

Even if that's true, young D-men are assets that can be used to acquire other young assets.

Archived