The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Sven Baertschi to Canucks

I was delighted when this was announced. What an absolute steal of a trade for us.

Sven is going to be in the best possible place for him to reignite his development with Travis Green in Utica. It feels like we have traded a 2nd round pick for a 1st round pick in this draft. I think he will surprise a lot of people in next years camp and might even make the team. Him and Vrbata on a line would be deadly if Sven plays to his abilities!

Being a player in Utica right now must be a lot of fun. A lot of good players and people down there now.

I was delighted when this was announced. What an absolute steal of a trade for us.

Sven is going to be in the best possible place for him to reignite his development with Travis Green in Utica. It feels like we have traded a 2nd round pick for a 1st round pick in this draft. I think he will surprise a lot of people in next years camp and might even make the team. Him and Vrbata on a line would be deadly if Sven plays to his abilities!

Being a player in Utica right now must be a lot of fun. A lot of good players and people down there now.

He has to make the team. He is waiver eligible next year.

(1. Horvat - graduated, but included in some lists)

1. Virtanen

2. McCann

3. Baertschi

4. Clendening

5. Corrado

6. Gaunce

7. Jensen

8. Kenins (graduated?)

9. Shinkaruk

10. Cassels

HM: Demko

More viewing pleasure (he has some brilliant plays in the back half of this video):

He's like a Daniel MK2.

How the hell could Calgary pass up a combination of Sven and Johnny Hockey. He is a natural finisher and Johnny is a playmaker. It would have been their version of the Twins.

Now we have him and all we need now is our Henrik MK2

STFU about the 2nd... it's a 48th for 13th, a 2nd for a 1st. We win. We get an actual player, Flames get a player which is at best 4 years behind Baertschi in development. We fleeced them.

Start watching the tape:

By your logic we should trade a 2nd for Scott Glennie, former 1st rounder...

Sure SB has skill however he couldn't crack Calgarys roster and he is waiver eligible next season. That's the scary part.

Sure SB has skill however he couldn't crack Calgarys roster and he is waiver eligible next season. That's the scary part.

I'm sure management has some sort of plan regarding his waiver eligibility. I wouldn't worry about it. He will be in the lineup next year I'm almost sure of it.

I'm sure management has some sort of plan regarding his waiver eligibility. I wouldn't worry about it. He will be in the lineup next year I'm almost sure of it.

He has to be..

And I'm hoping he becomes a legitimate top 6 player for us however those saying it was a fleecing and it was like trading a 2nd in this draft for a 1st in this draft are a little mis-informed, he was drafted 4 years ago and most said how Feaster went off the board at that time. Now again that being said, the kid has very good skills and lots of speed and let's hope he puts it all together but for some to not understand the gamble this move was is kinda lacking hockey knowledge.

Treliving said Vancouver's offer was by far the best and one has to believe him considering he traded him to Vancouver, a division rival. I believe the last trade between the 2 was 1991.

don't know if this was posted already and I'm not looking through 33pgs to find out - I tracked down flames nation's off season prospect profile (june 24 2014) of him; listed #3

http://flamesnation.ca/2014/6/24/the-2014-flames-fifteen-3-sven-baertschi

thanks for posting or reposting this ,This is a gift one from JB hopefully we get alot more over the next few yrs are now so very exciting to look forward to again faith restored prospects being reloaded at very fast rate .

Is there a coincidance between this trade and conacher?

Conacher is a center? Jeffrey was a left wing? baertschi is a left wing.

This allows Baertschi to slot into a top 6 role down in utica right away?

Maybe thats just me overthinking it, or is there a silver lining into both of these moves, to allow him more ice down in the ahl?

I disagree I think McCann and Jensen are better prospects. I don't mind the trade though.

this is semantics the real great thing is he is a LW who can an may be a game breaker we have not really had in system for some time all three have spots to fill in the future now its on them to get there.

I see a lot of hostility over this.

Would people be happier if we would have traded say Jensen?

Is it the unknown that captivates everyone?

Who would we draft at say #40ish that would have more upside and a better chance to be in the top 6 next season and beyond?

Like, I really must be missing something.

Nic Jensen was drafted the same year, 2011, Baertschi was #13 and Jensen #29

One player has almost .5 ppg in the NHL in 66 games played, and the other has played 1 game in the NHL with 0 points. Not sure how you see these players as 'logically' comparable in any trade scenario.

Baertschi has shown a more offensive game in his NHL stints than Vey did when we traded for him and wasnt waiver exempt this year either, hence why they moved him. This is basically the exact same move Benning made back at the draft. Hopefully Sven gets new life under his former WHL coach and brings a consistant effort every game. Tts a risky move sure, I was happy when I heard the trade, was hoping the 2nd would have been in 2016 or maybe a prospect like grenier and a small plus but maybe benning is going to make a move at the draft for a pick in the 2nd round like he did last summer.

He has to be..

And I'm hoping he becomes a legitimate top 6 player for us however those saying it was a fleecing and it was like trading a 2nd in this draft for a 1st in this draft are a little mis-informed, he was drafted 4 years ago and most said how Feaster went off the board at that time. Now again that being said, the kid has very good skills and lots of speed and let's hope he puts it all together but for some to not understand the gamble this move was is kinda lacking hockey knowledge.

Treliving said Vancouver's offer was by far the best and one has to believe him considering he traded him to Vancouver, a division rival. I believe the last trade between the 2 was 1991.

that was a long time ago!

Archived