The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) 2015-2016 Pacific Division

Scorvat

Next year could be a very hard year for us to make the playoffs for us Canucks. Here is why:

Its a tough race for Last place for the gaurenteed of either McDavid or Eichel. Lets assume worst case senerio, Oilers finish last just behind the Sabers, with Coyotes 3rd (cant see Sabers finishing ahead of the Coyotes). Oilers would be GAURENTEED one of Eichel/McDavid. So lets assume the Oilers win the draft, and Coyotes win the 2nd picks. The Oilers would most likely pick McDavid, and Coyotes would most likely take Eichel. If that happens, we are in for a very hard next few seasons. That is if McDavid and Eichel are as impactful as most players are, when there is this much hype on prospects. Names like Crosby, Stamkos, Ovechkin were hyped like these guys are.

If that happens we have in our division:

California powerhouse:

Sharks

Ducks

Kings

Calgary- great team in the making

Coyotes- Eichel

Oilers- Mcdavid-Hall-RNH--Eberle-Yakupov?

This is going to be a pretty brutal division. Best case scenario only one of them gets Eichel, still a very good player you dont want to have in your division. Unless of course its for your team.

I don't care who the oilers get on their forward group, they still can't keep the puck out of their net. Coyotes still need a few years to rebuild even if they got Mcdavid/eichel. Sanjose also seems to imploding

If this were to happen. The Sharks may finish last

Next year could be a very hard year for us to make the playoffs for us Canucks. Here is why:

Its a tough race for Last place for the gaurenteed of either McDavid or Eichel. Lets assume worst case senerio, Oilers finish last just behind the Sabers, with Coyotes 3rd (cant see Sabers finishing ahead of the Coyotes). Oilers would be GAURENTEED one of Eichel/McDavid. So lets assume the Oilers win the draft, and Coyotes win the 2nd picks. The Oilers would most likely pick McDavid, and Coyotes would most likely take Eichel. If that happens, we are in for a very hard next few seasons. That is if McDavid and Eichel are as impactful as most players are, when there is this much hype on prospects. Names like Crosby, Stamkos, Ovechkin were hyped like these guys are.

California powerhouse:

Sharks

Ducks

Kings

Coyotes- Eichel

This is going to be a pretty brutal division. Best case scenario only one of them gets Eichel, still a very good player you dont want to have in your division. Unless of course its for your team.

No.

The Canucks will only get better as their young guys improve and the old core is phased out.

Hockey is a team game and the Oilers and Arizona still suck. Getting McDavid or Eichel doesn't instantly put them in the playoffs.

Also, as it is now Buffalo is last in the league. If it stays this way and they don't get the first overall they are guaranteed the 2nd over all pick.

San Jose is 100% done. They will miss the playoffs this year, Thornton will be traded in the off season, and the team will stumble.

LA Kings are in the same boat as us, sort of. They aren't the same team as they were a few years ago and unless they make some changes I could also see them tumbling down.

Anaheim is set for many years. Getzlaf, Perry, Kesler etc. will carry the team for years to come. I expect Anaheim to be the new LA kings for the next 3 years.

Calgary hasn't proven itself yet. They have missed the playoffs 5 years in a row, and very well could miss these playoffs too. Their goaltending is shaky and they have some work to do yet. Gudreau needs to prove himself (just like Horvat needs to prove himself) for more than 1 season.

Phoenix is a total mess. Eichel, McDavid, Gretszky, Lemieux... who cares. No player is going to make the Coyotes a good team. Buffalo on the other hand has good players in the shadows waiting. They picked up Sam Reinhart, and they also have Evander Kane. I would say Phoenix is in position to be the worst team in the NHL for years to come.

Edmonton is due. This will be their 9th year missed. If they do get Eichel or McDavid, I see Edmonton becoming a powerhouse team. Can't deny it, they have potential. Once these 1st round guys make the playoffs and get in a wnning environment it will be a huge difference.

--------

So in summary, I expect the next 5 years to look something like:

1) Anaheim (by a long shot, dominating everyone in the division)

2) Edmonton

3) Vancouver / Los Angeles (both kind of in the same boat... fringe teams trying to rebuild without selling the farm)

5) Calgary (not convinced yet)

6) San Jose

7) Phoenix

All of this is irrelevant to your 'Here is why:'

California powerhouse:

Sharks

Ducks

Kings

We have them now. What, you don't think the Canucks will improve?

Coyotes- Eichel

Calgary might be improving, but they still SUCK!

Oilers prove 1st. pick doesn't guarantee anything.

Every year can be a hard year. Go Canucks Go!

LA, Anaheim, Vancouver, and Calgary will be competitive. SJ is trending downwards and until Wilson/Mclelland or Thornton/Marleau go they will nosedive into mediocrity. Edmonton is still 3 years away from playoff contention and AZ is garbage although with a top 3 pick, Domi, Duclair, and a wealth of other prospects and picks they could do well with Dave Tippet behind the bench.

Who know what wonders JB will work between now and next season.

I think we may surprise a few people next season. We have one or two gems waiting in Utica plus the possibility of JB acquiring some more.

The players who may make the jump are Gaunce, Pedan, Shink, Virtanen, Corrado, Baertschi, Bo Sang (if we keep him.)

San Jose is 100% done. They will miss the playoffs this year, Thornton will be traded in the off season, and the team will stumble.

LA Kings are in the same boat as us, sort of. They aren't the same team as they were a few years ago and unless they make some changes I could also see them tumbling down.

Anaheim is set for many years. Getzlaf, Perry, Kesler etc. will carry the team for years to come. I expect Anaheim to be the new LA kings for the next 3 years.

Calgary hasn't proven itself yet. They have missed the playoffs 5 years in a row, and very well could miss these playoffs too. Their goaltending is shaky and they have some work to do yet. Gudreau needs to prove himself (just like Horvat needs to prove himself) for more than 1 season.

Phoenix is a total mess. Eichel, McDavid, Gretszky, Lemieux... who cares. No player is going to make the Coyotes a good team. Buffalo on the other hand has good players in the shadows waiting. They picked up Sam Reinhart, and they also have Evander Kane. I would say Phoenix is in position to be the worst team in the NHL for years to come.

Edmonton is due. This will be their 9th year missed. If they do get Eichel or McDavid, I see Edmonton becoming a powerhouse team. Can't deny it, they have potential. Once these 1st round guys make the playoffs and get in a wnning environment it will be a huge difference.

--------

So in summary, I expect the next 5 years to look something like:

1) Anaheim (by a long shot, dominating everyone in the division)

2) Edmonton

3) Vancouver / Los Angeles (both kind of in the same boat... fringe teams trying to rebuild without selling the farm)

5) Calgary (not convinced yet)

6) San Jose

7) Phoenix

Edmonton isn't going anywhere unless they replace the management. Remember Dubnyk? The guy used to play for Edmonton and actually put up well over .900 in save percentage. At the time, I thought he was just an OK goalie and I guess the Oilers management thought the same.... well, turns out, putting up over .900 in save percentage in Edmonton is same as putting up .930 save percentage else where. Oilers gave up on a guy that they drafted too soon, too impatient. They have wrong philosophy when it comes to developing players as we saw from RNH and Leon Draisaitl. Sometimes, no matter how talented the player is, they need to develop one or two more years to be fully ready for NHL. Oilers management doesn't understand this and they will continue to sell their players short.

I like how many of you are counting the sharks out, losing Joe would only make them better. If they get a solid goalie and a decent fa pickup they will be a playoff team.

I don't know about that, I think they really could be taking a step back. Of course they have guys like Couture and Pavelski to guide the ship for the next few years but like DonaldBrasher said I think they'll be taking a step back, starting with this year as there's a pretty good chance they won't make playoffs.

How many 1st rounders from 2014 are playing in the NHL right now?

1. Ekblad (1st)
  2. Pasternak (25th)

My point is that it is very unusual for a player drafted to play at 18 yrs of age. It is even more unusual if they have an impact.

Will McDavid and Eichel play? Probably because for starters, they will both be on horrible teams which also increases their probability of being one of the better players on that team. But there is a big difference in a players development between the age of 18 and 23. So, we should be more concerned where the Canucks will be in 5 years.

I'd look more to who is managing the various teams in the Pacific Division to try to predict long term success. I think that the Canucks are looking just fine.

I don't know about that, I think really could be taking a step back. Of course they have guys like Couture and Pavelski to guide the ship for the next few years but like DonaldBrasher said I think they'll be taking a step back, starting with this year as there's a pretty good chance they won't make playoffs.

I've always felt Thornton slowed down the sharks attack, he's great on the pp with his passing but 5on5 he tends to slow it down. I'm sure he sharks will have something up their sleeves.

Archived