The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Empty Net Offence and Radim Vrbata

hellosinki

In the last 3 games, the Canucks have scored a mind boggling 5 empty net goals. That is 5/12 of their offence. I don't know whether I should be scared of that for little offence during the game, or happy for that with the Canucks really being able to seal it. What is your take on it?

Or you could say, the Canucks have scored 7 non-empty net goals in the last three games. Sounds better doesn't it? That they're sealing the deal on those wins with empty netters is just extra gravy and cheese curds on my poutine.

Better to keep Vrbata on the second line.

1) It make the team more balanced in scoring threats

2) Vrbata is getting Bonino and Higgins out of their slump.

Pretty much this ^

I prefer Kassian with the Sedins to protect them from douches around the league, and like another guy said on this thread, Kassian will work the boards, while sedins do their thing, instead of Sedins crashing the boards for Vrbatman.

Spreads the offense too.

Empty net goals are a good thing. You can only get them when you're beating the other team, so they're an indication that you're winning games. Also, as others have mentioned, score them with enough regularity and other teams will be reluctant to pull their goalie against us.

You will see the Sedins and Vrbata together in the playoffs.

Willie realized early on that this line was gold. If there is little to no video on them going into the playoffs, then they will be a force that will be a bit harder to handle when he throws them together.

I am a conspiracy guy. I am sure that the Canucks have been sluffing off on the Power play all year. Just like in the last few playoff years the league wouldn't give us a chance because they knew it would be in the net. The Canucks used the PP just enough here and there. Come playoffs I bet they will have the #1 Power play. Goals are a lot harder to get in the playoffs, they will make PP's count.

Wasn't that long ago that when presented with an empty net, we'd goalpost it or miss it entirely - or the guys would be too courteous and try to feed their linemates, who would then get checked by the opposing D. I'm actually relieved that they're finally sinking those empty netters.

EDIT: To be honest, though, I'd much rather see the team be so dominant that we'd run ahead with such a huge lead that the empty net scenario doesn't even come up.

Actually if you recall last season, we got scored on a bunch of times when the other team pulled their goalie. We couldn't even get the puck out of our zone, let alone seal an empty netter

EN goals mean we're leading late. They ice games and are critical. I can remember the Sedins hitting posts on EN last year only to have the other team tie it up 30 sec later. This year they're going in.

As for Vrbata, great signing and he improves the team in many ways. Very smart player. He's good with both Sedins or Bones/Higgy, but to create a balanced attack, better on the 2nd line and 1st PP unit.

Vrbata and matthias are developing good chemistry I say keep it as is. If it ain't broke don't fix it, right?

That saying irks me. Sailing ships weren't broken, why did we put engines in them?

If it's not broken, it can probably be optimized.

The EN goals are making the stats look better than they are. The d-zone coverage is still brutal and no where close to CUP contention standards.

Lack: Continues to play lights out. Great glove save before the EN goals which would have brought the Jets back into the game. Lack continues to prove that he is a #1 and that Miller can be traded for a draft pick in June.

It's only worrying if you disregard everything else that leads up to that point. I take great comfort in the fact that they can battle back from being behind and aren't quitting on games. Empty nets mean the other team is desperately trying to stay in the game...no shame in that if you're the team that's put them in that position.

And I like that they can pocket those ones...seals the deal. If they don't, the other team very much has a chance to do so (get back in the game). So it's important that they do hit the net, and they are.

Nothing negative to take away from EN goals...unless you're reaching for something.

Wins...that's what I'm concerned with. Points. I don't care how they come about, as long as they get them. They then will gather some confidence and momentum, so it's all good in my mind.

It's only worrying if you disregard everything else that leads up to that point. I take great comfort in the fact that they can battle back from being behind and aren't quitting on games. Empty nets mean the other team is desperately trying to stay in the game...no shame in that if you're the team that's put them in that position.

And I like that they can pocket those ones...seals the deal. If they don't, the other team very much has a chance to do so (get back in the game). So it's important that they do hit the net, and they are.

Nothing negative to take away from EN goals...unless you're reaching for something.

Wins...that's what I'm concerned with. Points. I don't care how they come about, as long as they get them. They then will gather some confidence and momentum, so it's all good in my mind.

Wait, are you saying that some fans here are negative? haha jk, some find fault in absolutely anything because their souls are empty.

The d-zone coverage is still brutal and no where close to CUP contention standards.

Lack: Continues to play lights out. Great glove save before the EN goals which would have brought the Jets back into the game. Lack continues to prove that he is a #1 and that Miller can be traded for a draft pick in June.

But these are the same teams involved....if we're beating them now (before playoffs) nothing changes. It'll be the same groups of guys and it doesn't have to be pretty. Cup contention is the team that manages to somehow beat the other teams. If we do it pre playoffs, there's no reason why we won't during....they're (teams we're battling with) having their own issues at times...we just have to be better than they are, that's all.

Sometimes the d falters...and a goaltender comes up big. Other times, scoring dries up. That's why it's a team game...you work to cover up the others' mistakes and shortfalls until they turn it around.

Often the hottest goaltender is a HUGE factor in playoff success...we're seeing some of that now with Eddie. He's been solid when he's had to be...has come up with saves that help provide the win.

It's all about: health, luck, timing (hot-cold stuff), officiating.

Anyhow....the team potting EN's are already ahead so there's clearly been offense to get them to that point. EN's are simply the icing on the cake and nothing is taken away from a lead that results in a 6-5 situation.

Empty net goals are important for two reasons: the first is that it provides the team scoring them a positive goal differential number (as long as the team pulling the goalie isn't on a PK) which is one of the tie-breakers in the standings (third on the list of things that are looked at, so who wouldn't want all the advantage you can muster up in the event of a tie in the standings?); and the second is that it seals a victory (had Hansen scored on the open net freebie vs. the Sharks in Game 2 of 2013 playoffs, it would have tied the series at 1-1 and who knows how the series would have played out?).

To quote Gretzky, "at the end of the season, they ask you how many...not how you got 'em".

Vrbata has been the biggest surprise of this season. Like I knew he was good, but didn't know he was THIS good.

Yeah same here. I thought solid signing, but he's just insane. His skill level and hockey iq is probably up there with the best in the nhl. His skating is much better than I thought too. Andddd a underrated 2 way game

Archived