The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Flames @ Canucks | Flames lead series 1-0

-Vintage Canuck-

Hopefully next game Canucks get a couple goals in the first. Likely not because they never start well or if they do they fade.

I am in the Baetschi camp. He is healthy motivated and his skill is close to Vrbata level.

Would upgrade on Higgins and add some scoring punch. Allowing Higgins to add to bottom six depth.

But who do you sit? Kenins played well last night

Canucks barely hit in the 3rd (well most of the game, really) and this led to Calgary feeling confident that they could make plays in our zone with impunity. This was evident near the end when they basically played the last 10 minutes of the game entirely in Vancouver's zone.

Has this core ever came back from a 0-1 series? Anyone know?

Dallas series - we lead

Anahiem series - we didn't lead but tied the series on a cowan goal and lost

La - series we never lead and lost

Sanjose - we never lead and lost/ swept

chicago 2011 run we lead all the series by winning game 1.

Yikes.

The relevance of that data to our current situation is zero

At this point, Baerstchi is the only player I see actaully being a threat to the Flames' defence because of his speed and hockey iq. Tonight they passed up so many plays it was hard to watch. They need to learn from Horvat, just shoot the puck when their is traffic and stop trying to be Harlem globetrotters.. Do I feel Higgins or Mathias deserve a 2nd chance? Nope I know what they do in the playoffs this is normal for me. Also, Mathias has been invisible all year after the deadline, I hope we let him walk. Griener > Mathias, Jensen > Mathias, Baerstchi > Mathias.

We barely know anything of what Baertschi is capable of at the NHL level. Labeling him our savior is ridiculous.

The Calgary defense isn't really the problem, we had plenty of chances we simply just didnt convert them. Thats a problem on our part, and it didnt help that Hiller stood on his head.

How do you know what Matthias can do in the playoffs when we have only seen him in one game in the playofs with this team? Furthermore why do you expect people to value your opinion on players when you can't even spell their names correctly?

The Canucks may have 'deserved' a better result - had the puck possession advantage, and probably the bulk of the premier scoring opportunities, but that's hockey - sometimes the opposing goaltender just has a great night, and you don't get that extra bounce.

I thought it was a hell of a hockey game - great tempo - and well played all around. Looking forward to more of that. You can't really ask for better hockey to watch. Two teams with the pedal to the floor for 60.

I thought the Jones goal was a mile offside, The Canucks cleared the puck and Ferland was about 7 or 8 feet from the blueline inside the ozone when the Flames D slid the puck back over the blueline....I thought the whislte should have gone right there given how close Weber was to the blueline when he attempted to clear it again, but the linesman let it go, Ferland cleared the zone / tagged up and then received a tape to tape from Weber, who was pressured by Jones. Shat happens. That turned momentum for Calgary, otherwise the team played a great game and there's every reason to think they have a great shot of winning the series.

Another positive from this game that I havent seen people talk about is how good the Sedins were. I mean, obviously they didnt score but they dominated possession and seemed to be really feeling it. Henrik won the very vast majority of his FOs etc. Thats a really good sign imo.

A lot of players stepped up for the flames last night. Canucks fell flat. Sedins were invisible, only players I even saw make a difference were the Horvat line. Vrbata got a few good shots but the Nucks aren't gonna win if only 1 line shows up.

The relevance of that data to our current situation is zero

We barely know anything of what Baertschi is capable of at the NHL level. Labeling him our savior is ridiculous.

The Calgary defense isn't really the problem, we had plenty of chances we simply just didnt convert them. Thats a problem on our part, and it didnt help that Hiller stood on his head.

How do you know what Matthias can do in the playoffs when we have only seen him in one game in the playofs with this team? Furthermore why do you expect people to value your opinion on players when you can't even spell their names correctly?

I agree.

Watching chance after chance go by the boards when we were up by a goal, I was thinking that it was going to come back and bite us.

The two chances that Daniel had in particular...

Everyone a bit calmer now? The Canucks have successfully secured road ice advantage.

Last time the Canucks dropped the series opener (on home ice no less) and still won the series:

2003 vs. St. Louis.

Otherwise as far back as I could remember we are 1-6 when losing the first game of a series.

But to be fair, we're a not so great 5-7 when we do win the first game of the series lately, anyways.

It's all adding up to the Flames, and more importantly their fans, just being devastated by letting this one get away.

We played a great first 40 mins. We fell apart in the 3rd. We need to re-group and be ready for game 2

Is that how you saw it?

From what I could see, the Canucks were outplayed in the second, (a 10 - 4 shots advantage for the Flames would seem to bear this out) but outplayed Calgary for most of the third. They were killed by two shifts where the Canucks blew a chance to get the puck out of the defensive zone (Weber on the first goal and Kenins, I believe, on the second)

That, coupled with an inability to bury their chances, (of which they had several) did them in, IMHO.

I thought the Canucks came out with good energy and played physical...they hit Wideman and Russel, then in the second and third, they stopped.

If you want to beat the Flames you hit their defencemen every chance you get and lean on them...Wideman and Russel play huge minutes...Canucks need to tire them out in order to make them make mistakes; however, the physical play has to occur for 60 minutes, NOT for 30 minutes.

Overall, I thought the Canucks had the better chances. Hillier won the game for the Flames.

Eddie was caught deep in his net on the first goal...I could have scored that goal...Flames had half the net wide open.

This is what we've become accustomed too ever since 2011.

Benning, get your ass back in town and see it with your own eyes what needs to change if we are ever going to compete in the playoffs. Making heroes out of the Flames should never be on the agenda

No, I am not calling it a series but even if we make it past Calgary we are not getting much farther with that weak effort.

Thats okay they are a good team. We will let the kids win!!! Hockey gods were out in full last night...

I thought the Canucks came out with good energy and played physical...they hit Wideman and Russel, then in the second and third, they stopped.

If you want to beat the Flames you hit their defencemen every chance you get and lean on them...Wideman and Russel play huge minutes...Canucks need to tire them out in order to make them make mistakes; however, the physical play has to occur for 60 minutes, NOT for 30 minutes.

Overall, I thought the Canucks had the better chances. Hillier won the game for the Flames.

Eddie was caught deep in his net on the first goal...I could have scored that goal...Flames had half the net wide open.

He lost his angle on the Russell goal as well. If you watch the replay, about half the net is available for that shot.

That being said, Lack certainly isn't to blame for either goal. Both were the result of an inability to get the puck out of the defensive zone, despite clear opportunities to do so.

Another positive from this game that I havent seen people talk about is how good the Sedins were. I mean, obviously they didnt score but they dominated possession and seemed to be really feeling it. Henrik won the very vast majority of his FOs etc. Thats a really good sign imo.

Yes butI dont care if you have the puck all night if you dont shoot and score you might as well give it to the Flames. Let the kids beat you by default...

We had great possession play for most of the game. Calgary had so many blocked shots. .. and they kept collapsing in front of Hiller. It's not like previous playoffs against sj and LA where we were clearly outclassed and out muscled. Maybe I'm being a Homer but I still am not worries. I knew the flames wouldn't roll over easy. We need Kassian back for even more physical play... that's another thing. It seemed like we had way more hits to.

could be worse

Note: DO NOT DRINK A BOTTLE OF SCOTCH AND WATCH HOCKEY. Holy hell.

Apparently I'm a negative drunk.

Side note....a bottle of scotch does NOT taste good coming back.

Had to amend my first post. The Canucks need more hitting, more driving the net and a much better net presence to win this series. Hiller was too comfortable all night.

Archived