The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Flames @ Canucks | Flames lead series 1-0

-Vintage Canuck-

And if I had it to do over, knowing the results of last night's game, I'd still want Calgary over LA.

The Canucks were right in that game, they just didn't bury their chances. If Hiller can keep up this goaltending, the Canucks are probably in trouble. However, if he reverts to regular season form, I'm not overly worried.

I don't think it was much Hiller as it was the Calgary's D. Their defence is very smothering and besides blocking shots they also take space away from any players wanting to get anywhere near Hiller. Hiller is looking like Marty Brodeur out there because of the D.

The only reason why I wanted LA is because I'm absolutely positive the Canucks would've beaten them just as I was absolutely positive LA would beat us in 2012. With Calgary, I can't shake this feeling we're going to lose in 7. Especially with our post season track record of 2/6 against them. One of those was '94 and it took 3 OT games to decide it where it could've easily been 1/6. I just feel experience isn't going to trump youth, speed and outright enthusiasm. I also feel we're going to screw up our goaltending situation at some point in this series which will cost us huge.

Hope the Canucks prove me wrong. Go Canucks Go!

I don't think it was much Hiller as it was the Calgary's D. Their defence is very smothering and besides blocking shots they also take space away from any players wanting to get anywhere near Hiller. Hiller is looking like Marty Brodeur out there because of the D.

The only reason why I wanted LA is because I'm absolutely positive the Canucks would've beaten them just as I was absolutely positive LA would beat us in 2012. With Calgary, I can't shake this feeling we're going to lose in 7. Especially with our post season track record of 2/6 against them. One of those was '94 and it took 3 OT games to decide it where it could've easily been 1/6. I just feel experience isn't going to trump youth, speed and outright enthusiasm. I also feel we're going to screw up our goaltending situation at some point in this series which will cost us huge.

Hope the Canucks prove me wrong. Go Canucks Go!

I missed the first half of the game, but I saw Hiller rob Daniel on two chances that I fully expect him to score on all things being equal.

Another positive from this game that I havent seen people talk about is how good the Sedins were. I mean, obviously they didnt score but they dominated possession and seemed to be really feeling it. Henrik won the very vast majority of his FOs etc. Thats a really good sign imo.

Yes. I've read a lot of complaints about the Sedins and have to shake my head. So many blind fans around here.

Daniel was on the ice for 18 shot attempts for last night, and 5 against. Corsi of +13, 2nd best among all NHL skaters last night.

Hank was 8th with a +11 (18 and 7).

Anyone oblivious to how thoroughly they dominated possession did not watch the game. If that continues, Calgary will be on a wing and a prayer trying to take this series.

I think some adjustments need to be made, but all in all I thought the Canucks played a strong game for 2/3 of it. The reason we lost was Jonas Hiller plain and simple. He stole the game. I agree with you guys that say we gotta get in his kitchen more and get ugly, greasy goals. The chances were there, just no finish. The game stayed tight and Calgary capitalized on two bad shifts (although they did have a couple odd-man rushes as well in the last few minutes and that needs to be addressed). That was the difference. I'd be much more concerned if we weren't getting scoring chances but we had quite a few of them, just didn't capitalize. I think you'll see a resilient Canucks squad in game 2. Go Canucks!!!!!

Just checked the enhanced stats at the NHL.com (lhttp://www.nhl.com/stats/advancedstats?fetchKey=20153VANSAASALL&ord=desc&sort=shotAttempts&viewName=advancedStatsSkaterShooting).

Vrbata, Higgins, and Bonino were -10, -13, -15 in shots attempts for - shots attempts against respectively. Backing up the claim by some of the posters that they were severely outplayed.

Vrbata has too much offence to offer to be spending that much time in the defensive zone. We need to either move Vrbata up to play with the Sedins or use Richardson or Horvat line against Bennet's line.

They're also playing the role of the shutdown line. Shea Weber was -10 last night too - Bieksa and Sbisa were also outshot considerably while on the ice - but with Weber paired with Hamhuis, that pairing is being used as a scoring pairing and had exceptionally strong corsi last night - however they didn't necessarily outplay their teammates dramatically.. I'm not saying the second line had a strong game, but at the same time, taking their corsi alone without considering how they were used situationally sheds a worse light on their performance. Bonino's line has had the lowest ozone starts and faced the strongest quality of competition all year. Vrbata was used in a similar way quite frequently in Phoenix because he is such a responsible two way player. I think they're matching strength against strength in doing so. I'd expect that too continue.

Hudler was -6 (corsi), while Monahan and Gaudreau were -3. The Canucks top line was dominant on the other hand. If the team can sustain that, I think the odds are in their favour of taking the series.

this is an epic pgt

It was a great game folks, both teams hit, both teams skated, both teams had great chances, both teams had great goaltending and momentum went back and forth all night. Sucks that they couldn't hang on for another 29 seconds, but they could have easily won the game as much as the Flames.

I would have liked to have seen a dman release off his check and help Bo with Colborne on that last goal........he was clearly outmatched on that play and needed help. Colborne was in the corner with his back to the play and it would have been a low percentage play to get a scoring chance from there.

Just my own opinion of why we lost:

-Matchups. Horvat should not be matched up against the Gaudreau line; they generated more opportunities vs Horvat line than when they were matched against the Sedins in the first. If Sedins were shutting down + having opportunities, why change it up? WD took their top line too lightly and it cost us. It was a total momentum killer.

-Higgins needs to contribute offensively if he isn't contributing on the scoresheet. Create space for Vrbata and Bonino.

-3rd line needs more physical presence.

-Horvat line should be matched against their 3rd line.

-Limit Weber & Sbisa's minutes and find them better matchups.

-2nd & 3rd line needs to crash the net

& on that last play there, why didn't Weber just ice the puck? I was yelling at the TV for him to ice it. There was 50 seconds left in the period and we haven't even used a timeout yet. Oh well, solid effort. If we can keep generating this many opportunities per game, I have faith in our team.

EDITED FOR CLARITY

I think some adjustments need to be made, but all in all I thought the Canucks played a strong game for 2/3 of it. The reason we lost was Jonas Hiller plain and simple. He stole the game. I agree with you guys that say we gotta get in his kitchen more and get ugly, greasy goals. The chances were there, just no finish. The game stayed tight and Calgary capitalized on two bad shifts (although they did have a couple odd-man rushes as well in the last few minutes and that needs to be addressed). That was the difference. I'd be much more concerned if we weren't getting scoring chances but we had quite a few of them, just didn't capitalize. I think you'll see a resilient Canucks squad in game 2. Go Canucks!!!!!

Totally agree.

Hiller was pretty damn good last night!

And over all our boys played a pretty good game with the exception of the few turn overs in the 3rd.

I think the only way Calgary takes this series is if we give it to them

I think the net presence plus some more cross ice passing to make Hiller have to move laterally is what the doctor needs to order. Plus some top shelf shots might help.

I was impressed with WDs strategy to start game 1. WD is not gonna roll over and neither will our boys. No one wins the Stanley Cup without having to overcome some adversity. The fact that our boys weren't crying over game 1 tells a lot about the determination this year.

There have been a lot of series in the NHL playoffs that have gone 1-4.

Its not over till its over. It takes 4 wins to win a series not two lucky bounces in game 1. High stick and fluky screen!

Our boys will come back twice as hard. By the time this series is over Our boys game will be so elevated that we will find our way back to the finals.

Next game is gonna be a good one!

He's going all the way back to the WCE era. St. Louis was up 1-0 and 3-1 in the series and lost in 7.

Now that was an awesome series. Looking at this video I can't help but remember how much tougher the players used to be. Half of those hits would be suspendable now a days and those elbows, wow. haha Trent Klatt getting a headbutt from the goalie.

Sucks we lost last night, but I think the absolutely BEST part about the game last night was the fact the refs did a very good job in my opinion, and the game lacked dirty plays. Such a breath of fresh air to see QUALITY hockey and none of the antics from teams like LA and Boston.

Sucks we lost last night, but I think the absolutely BEST part about the game last night was the fact the refs did a very good job in my opinion, and the game lacked dirty plays. Such a breath of fresh air to see QUALITY hockey and none of the antics from teams like LA and Boston.

How do you explain the first goal then ?

I must admit I never noticed until it was pointed out. But once pointed out its hard to explain the non call.

I hate this waiting for game 2. I want the game to start now. If they lose tomorrow I'll be watching Seinfeld right away to feel better

Yup I know what u mean... As soon as we lost I had to switch off the sports channels. Had we won I'd watch the post game stuff for hours.

Archived