The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Flames @ Canucks | Flames lead series 1-0

-Vintage Canuck-

Just checked the enhanced stats at the NHL.com (lhttp://www.nhl.com/stats/advancedstats?fetchKey=20153VANSAASALL&ord=desc&sort=shotAttempts&viewName=advancedStatsSkaterShooting).

Vrbata, Higgins, and Bonino were -10, -13, -15 in shots attempts for - shots attempts against respectively. Backing up the claim by some of the posters that they were severely outplayed.

Vrbata has too much offence to offer to be spending that much time in the defensive zone. We need to either move Vrbata up to play with the Sedins or use Richardson or Horvat line against Bennet's line.

Such a bunch of whiners. How many people complaining on here have followed the Canucks for more than 4 years? How many of you actually like watching hockey?

For anyone making generalizations about the Flames being better than the Canucks, maybe trying a bit more specific about your comments.

I thought the Canucks played differently depending on if they had the lead or not.

- when they had the lead they stopping pressing and pushing for the 2nd goal.

- after Calgary tied it up they started getting nervous and defensive

- they panicked in the last few minutes and should have just iced the puck a few times until time ran out. Instead of playing smart, they ran around and then were tired and out of position for the Flames winning goal.

The Coach has to get the players to play harder when they have the lead without taking too many risks. They needed that 2nd goal but they played too safe.

Once again there's no one in front of the net on the Canucks PP. WHY? How did the Flames goal get scored? - there were guys in front of the goalie.

And most of you wanted Calgary over LA, lol! Calgary showed why I was worried we might lose this series. Their D were blocking shots and prevented our offensive players from getting near Hiller, so quit blaming the Sedins, Vrbata and company as ineffective players. Hiller was good but didn't have to be spectacular as a result. Their transition game was quick which was what I warned as well which means the Canucks, being the slower team, are going to get much more exhausted skating a marathon than a younger Calgary team.

However, I was impressed with how fast the Canucks transition game was as well. Just a question of whether they can sustain it. Also, I was really impressed with how much more physical the Canucks were than the Flames. I really expected it the other way. I hope Edler wakes up and starts throwing out some hits because he can be a force. Lack was excellent as well, however I'm worried the option to go with Miller can hurt our chances as well if WD feels a change is in order. Horvat scoring is huge for his confidence and should definitely impact future games this series as well.

I still can't shake the feeling the Flames will win in 7 but I have liked what I've seen from the Canucks. Hopefully they'll prove me wrong.

Get them in Game 2! Go Canucks Go!

THIS! I like when the Canucks were starting get scoring on the PP by Weber shooting from the point.

You have to use screens to score on the PP - there's no way around it especially in the playoffs.

Why can't the Canucks screen goalies like this? Especially on the PP. they just stand there waiting for a damn pass. They really need to score more greasy goals than pretty goals.

And most of you wanted Calgary over LA, lol!

And if I had it to do over, knowing the results of last night's game, I'd still want Calgary over LA.

The Canucks were right in that game, they just didn't bury their chances. If Hiller can keep up this goaltending, the Canucks are probably in trouble. However, if he reverts to regular season form, I'm not overly worried.

The first goal of Flames was from the turn-over. We must not play sloppy even 1 minute against this young Flames or else this will be a short playoff run. We need to score and create traffic infront of the net. We got good chances last night but did not convert. Hiller got good looks on the puck.

Dominant first period, but as usual in the playoffs scoring was an issue. Really wasn't happy with the decision to not use Weber's shot on the first 2 powerplays. In general I didn't like the way WD coached his team last night after the first goal. It's not the regular season, you can't just throw out anyone and try and sit on a 1-0 lead and let the other team dictate play.

2nd line really got crushed too. Burrows was the best player on the ice most of the night, much better than the twins were.

Canucks need more guys hitting consistently crashing the net playing with an edge stirring the pot. Can't play Calgary straight up speed and skill. Have to try to intimidate them to mess up their focus on their transition game.

They were matching them on speed and skill, what are you talking about.

I'm not sure all the hitting was called for though, it seemed to tire our team out by the 3rd as we are not used to it. It also made little sense/difference because we are not big enough to do any real damage.

We played well and the only thing I would change would be to cut out the hitting, it affected us more than them.

The first goal of Flames was from the turn-over. We must not play sloppy even 1 minute against this young Flames or else this will be a short playoff run. We need to score and create traffic infront of the net. We got good chances last night but did not convert. Hiller got good looks on the puck.

It wasn't even a real turnover, it seemed to get deflected.

I didn't think we gave them much over there 60 mins and I thought Hiller kept us out (with a bit of luck)

It wasn't even a real turnover, it seemed to get deflected.

I didn't think we gave them much over there 60 mins and I thought Hiller kept us out (with a bit of luck)

I agree. The real problem on both goals was that the players got caught out on the ice for too long and the Flames were able to take advantage of a fatigued Canucks' team.

Weber was a bit unfortunate that the Flames' player got a stick on his clearing attempt, but I think he would have been able to make that clear, if he hadn't been gassed.

Archived