The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Flames @ Canucks | Flames lead series 1-0

-Vintage Canuck-

He's going all the way back to the WCE era. St. Louis was up 1-0 and 3-1 in the series and lost in 7.

Seriously I never figured that one out. The blues can have Gretzky, Lemuix and Crosby all on one line and somehow they would still find a way to lose against us. Although when your watching the games it always feels like " O this might be the one, they might finally start beating us for 10 years after winning this game", then they somehow lose and the trend continues.

Didn't realize what a slump Higgy is in - from Jeff Paterson:

*It’s a team game and no one player should take any more heat than any other, but I have been charting Chris Higgins’ playoff production and his individual numbers defy explanation. Higgins has now gone 15 playoff games without a point, has 0+1 in his last 20 games and has scored one goal in his last 25 post-season contests dating back to the only power play goal of his career scored in Round 3 against San Jose in 2011. Most of Higgins’ ice-time in that span has come in a top six capacity and, as noted above, has included regular shifts on the power play

*Its a team game and no one player should take any more heat than any other, but I have been charting Chris Higgins playoff production and his individual numbers defy explanation. Higgins has now gone 15 playoff games without a point, has 0+1 in his last 20 games and has scored one goal in his last 25 post-season contests dating back to the only power play goal of his career scored in Round 3 against San Jose in 2011. Most of Higgins ice-time in that span has come in a top six capacity and, as noted above, has included regular shifts on the power play

It's been the main reason I've wanted him gone for 2+ years now. Has never been a playoff performer.

*It’s a team game and no one player should take any more heat than any other, but I have been charting Chris Higgins’ playoff production and his individual numbers defy explanation. Higgins has now gone 15 playoff games without a point, has 0+1 in his last 20 games and has scored one goal in his last 25 post-season contests dating back to the only power play goal of his career scored in Round 3 against San Jose in 2011. Most of Higgins’ ice-time in that span has come in a top six capacity and, as noted above, has included regular shifts on the power play

It's not really a slump - he's just not fitted to play in a top 6 capacity.

He was an effective bottom 6 defensive winger in our 2011 cup run but has slowed down tremendously since then. The only reason why he's still in the lineup is because he's a "glue guy" that's liked in the dressing room.

I hate canucks fans... so god damn negative. Team played well, and extremely hard for 45 minutes, when the flames scored the momentum shifted and we started playing sloppily. Hiller won that game for them, and we took it to the Flames for the majority of the game. All we need is more finish, I agree maybe slotting Baertschi in would be good for some more offense, but need to adjust after the second game. It's one game and Calgary is a strong team... but this is a seven game series, have some faith in this team. The majority of you guys are so god damn negative, and thats why rogers arena is so damn quiet, and we chase away our best players. People are too critical and don't give praise when needed, god makes me so angry.

Enjoy the game in your own way and ignore the posts that you don't like. You're taking it a tad too personally IMO.

It's not really a slump - he's just not fitted to play in a top 6 capacity.

He was an effective bottom 6 defensive winger in our 2011 cup run but has slowed down tremendously since then. The only reason why he's still in the lineup is because he's a "glue guy" that's liked in the dressing room.

It's hard to know when the lack of production should trump the intangibles. Obviously for management who know better than I, but even if not really a top 6 guy, they need him to pot one once in a while at least.

Wow, interesting. Didn't realize it was this bad. Higgins goes relatively unscathed on CDC because he does bring a moderate amount for how much he gets paid. He's good defensively, and was our 5th highest scorer this regular season. Can't ask much more than that for a guy being paid $2.5M. HOWEVER, to do well in the playoffs, your Top 6 need to be your Top 6 offensive weapons. Based on the above, I'd argue he's not 1 of those 6 (at least in the playoffs). I'd say if we lose tomorrow night, it might just be worth giving Baertschi a shot against his old club. Worst case scenario, Baertschi pots 0 goals and 0 assists just like what Higgins would have produced, but best case scenario, Baertschi excels and we've just added even more depth to the lineup.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Baertschi-Bonino-Vrbata

Matthias-Richardson-Dorsett

Higgins-Horvat-Hansen

That's the lineup I would go with if we lose tomorrow night. Nothing against Kenins, but he's the odd man out in this situation.

Wow, interesting. Didn't realize it was this bad. Higgins goes relatively unscathed on CDC because he does bring a moderate amount for how much he gets paid. He's good defensively, and was our 5th highest scorer this regular season. Can't ask much more than that for a guy being paid $2.5M. HOWEVER, to do well in the playoffs, your Top 6 need to be your Top 6 offensive weapons. Based on the above, I'd argue he's not 1 of those 6 (at least in the playoffs). I'd say if we lose tomorrow night, it might just be worth giving Baertschi a shot against his old club. Worst case scenario, Baertschi pots 0 goals and 0 assists just like what Higgins would have produced, but best case scenario, Baertschi excels and we've just added even more depth to the lineup.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Baertschi-Bonino-Vrbata

Matthias-Richardson-Dorsett

Higgins-Horvat-Hansen

That's the lineup I would go with if we lose tomorrow night. Nothing against Kenins, but he's the odd man out in this situation.

My bottom 6 would be.

Higgins richardson hansen

kennins horvat dorsett

Horvat/dorsett>horvat/hansen

horvat/kennins>>>>>horvat/higgins

Higgins>matthias

What has happened to matthias? He was our best player for quite some time. But ever since trade deadline he has barely been noticed... we could have got a 1st for him!!!.. i was one who didnt want to trade him. But looking back, we should have

There were a lot of positives to take away from this game. It's been quite a while since these two teams have played each other. I think we can safely say that both teams have grown, more of a threat then the last time we met. So I think going into this game, it was probably hard to know exactly what the opposition was going to be coming at you with; they aren't the same team we faced way back in February. Now we know.

Canucks have a feel for what they're capable of, and the style they've developed now. I'm confident the Nucks will win the next 2 or 3 and finish the series up in game 6.

There were a lot of positives to take away from this game. It's been quite a while since these two teams have played each other. I think we can safely say that both teams have grown, more of a threat then the last time we met. So I think going into this game, it was probably hard to know exactly what the opposition was going to be coming at you with; they aren't the same team we faced way back in February. Now we know.

Canucks have a feel for what they're capable of, and the style they've developed now. I'm confident the Nucks will win the next 2 or 3 and finish the series up in game 6.

Agreed, there will be games like that, but we were the dominant team in the game and our players know that, they will come back hard,no dip in confidence there, Calgary won't be able to stave off our attack for 7 games, we need to make a few adjustments, I hope they keep matching the Sedins against the Monahan line, just keep those boys silent like game 1, love it

Agreed, there will be games like that, but we were the dominant team in the game and our players know that, they will come back hard,no dip in confidence there, Calgary won't be able to stave off our attack for 7 games, we need to make a few adjustments, I hope they keep matching the Sedins against the Monahan line, just keep those boys silent like game 1, love it

We did dominate the entire game. Other than the last minute. If we play the same way and add more physicality we should dominate

- Missed chances early hurt us big time. We played so well the first half of the game besides early in the 2nd, we just need to bury chances. Easier said than done yes, but we have the talent to do so.

- I loved how we were punishing Russel and Wideman early. Keep that up and try to break them down and use that to create turnovers.

- Bennet is scary. With no experience at all he just slid right into a playoff game and at times dominated our D to get to the net. Need to rough him up a bit and make it harder to get to the net.

- Higgins is just frustrating to watch. Every time he touches the puck he seems to kill all momentum. Like many I want to see him dropped to the bottom 6, but we don't have anyone to replace him except Baertschi, and I don't want to see Kenins out.

I still think we can handle this Calgary team easily. We were able to shut down their top line and stop any of their quick rushes with nice neutral zone turnovers. A big key for the next game is to get shots through. I want to see more fake shots and faints to clear up some space.

Archived