The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Willie Needs to shake it up

canadiangunner

It might be a matter of line chemistry if a line doesn't have anyone driving the net. Maybe that will change in game 4 though. Players cannot go full-out all playoffs long.

That goes both ways my friend :)

3 games and we have had no net presence on their end.

What is the point to conserve whatever we are conserving if we can't make it past round 1? I think playoffs is when players should go full out every shift.

How you preserve their intensity and energy is up to the coach to effectively distribute their playing time according to the game momentum and scoreboard.

Willie seems like AV all over again. He doesn't seem to be able to coach in a game. Maybe he is too busy hanging on to his clip board, and trying to figure a way to get his Vey in a game. If they lose the next game then Bening and Linden have failed.

Interview at the start of the season.

Bob McKenzie: What will it take for you to consider this season to be considered successful?

Benning: Well obviously our goal is to make the playoffs but I also to get everyone playing the way we know they can.

Considering that was Bennings goal I think it's fair to say Benning and Linden haven't failed. Not once have they said they wanted to win the cup this year. Its just not our goal.

WD needs to make adjustments, but I don't know line combo is the main problem. He can certainly put Stanton in instead of say, sbisa etc

The other more important issue is how they can counter flames forechecking and physicality

He has to show ability to adjust to be a great coach. He did fine for game 2. Let's see what he does for game 4.

I also find the 'second' line to be very stale; and cringe every time Weber or Sbisa touches the puck.

I'd also like to see a top four D or Edler, Hamhuis, Tanev, and Bieksa. Sadly after that the defence is pretty thin.

It looks like bonino and matthias are in sync together. I'd like to see

Sedin-sedin-vrbata

matthias-bonino-burrows

higgins-bo-kassian (where is kassian?)

hansen-richardson-(kennins/dorset).

Kassian is hurt... bad back. Why do people keep asking this question?

Willie seems like AV all over again. He doesn't seem to be able to coach in a game. Maybe he is too busy hanging on to his clip board, and trying to figure a way to get his Vey in a game. If they lose the next game then Bening and Linden have failed.

Get out and enjoy the sun, it helps clear your mind.

Willie had no answers for his team just like AV when he was in the playoffs with the Canucks. The core is still there since the 2011 cup final, but without the toughness that they had which wasn't enough back then. Then there is the reffing which is getting worse every year.

He needs to change the lines up to create better role clarity and speed in the top 6 and more grit and a energy line. Right now its a mix on every line and simply is not working. I propose the following:

Sedin Sedin Vrbata - load it up and get Vrbata going

Burrows Horvat Baertschi - Horvat best forward so far, up his minutes and get a goal scorer in there!

Higgins Bonino Mathias - Great third line, defensively responsible, big bodies

Hansen Richardson Dorsett - All grit, energy line, bang and bang some more!

Edler Tanev

Bieksa Hamhuis

Weber Stanton

Ride the first 4 d-men and get Weber on for PP.

Definitely a little concerned with his strategy. Playoffs require line adjustments on the fly, and Willie doesn't seem able to do so. Bonino is not a second line centre, yet there he stays. Vrbata clearly needs off that line, and we need him scoring, so put him back with the Sedins and let it happen... Burr's energy works for any line he plays with.

Nothing has changed with the whole Canucks defense from this season , they have a hesitation when playing the puck in their own end , coughing up the puck with very little fore check on them .

The reason the Sedins are shorted on ice time is because their so horribly passive defending in their end .

I would bring up Corado to replace Weber who's very weak on defense .

What is the point to conserve whatever we are conserving if we can't make it past round 1? I think playoffs is when players should go full out every shift.

How you preserve their intensity and energy is up to the coach to effectively distribute their playing time according to the game momentum and scoreboard.

Game 1 was fairly even...neither had much net presence.

Nucks were easily getting to Hiller in game 2.

Game 3 was clearly Calgary's best game and they had boat loads of net presence.

Hopefully the Canucks will be more prepared for the Flames in game 4.

they have not failed because their goal was to make the playoffs and that was said by them.

Game 1 was fairly even...neither had much net presence.

Nucks were easily getting to Hiller in game 2.

Game 3 was clearly Calgary's best game and they had boat loads of net presence.

Hopefully the Canucks will be more prepared for the Flames in game 4.

Calgary has scored a goal in all three games with someone in Eddie's crease. If a red sweater steps in blue paint he has to eat lumber.

Whatever you want to call it, it's playoff series management. I'd leave it up to the coach. That being said, I see no reason for this team to not advance. If they don't, wtf?

If you ask me being more physical isn't the key. From my perspective at least it seemed like the team was trying to finish hit instead of getting back in position. We had this against Boston too. We need to play to our strengthes. Be quick on the puck don't finish a hit unless it's going to be effective. Look at game 1. We saw 2-3 solid hits in the first and it made an impact. If I didn't know any better id sAy were trying to match their physicality and it's distracting us from what's made this team so good all year. Stick to your game. Get big hits when their there and stop wasting energy. Get back to position and use the transition. We don't have the personal to match them so let's play to our strengths.

Nothing has changed with the whole Canucks defense from this season , they have a hesitation when playing the puck in their own end , coughing up the puck with very little fore check on them .

The reason the Sedins are shorted on ice time is because their so horribly passive defending in their end .

I would bring up Corado to replace Weber who's very weak on defense .

D-zone coverage has been the Canuck's Achilles heal all season.

Now WD is being the scapegoat for not playing the Twins more. I suggest that rolling 4 lines is the only reason the Canucks made playoffs. Twins played 16-18 TOI all season and scored in the top 20 of the NHL.

Willie had no answers for his team just like AV when he was in the playoffs with the Canucks. The core is still there since the 2011 cup final, but without the toughness that they had which wasn't enough back then. Then there is the reffing which is getting worse every year.

To be fair it's 3 games in. Willie made adjustments after the first game and we came back strong. We have seen that he's capable of coaching the team back. Saying the sky is falling is kinda silly. If he can turn the team around all year he can do it again. We need to stick with what's made us good all season and will be fine. If u ask me Calgary got us off our game in the final min of game 2. We've proven at least in my eyes we were the better team in the reg season. So let's give willie a chance to make some adjustments. We win 2 and in a row and we'd suddenly be the favorites. It's more then possible I think likely so just chill. Wait til the glass starts falling on our head before panicing.

Ony thing I would change is add a little more speed. In the lineup. McMillan or Baer would do the trick. That's the coach/managements call though

The Canucks don't need to hit more or change up the lines much. Although, I'd like to see Vrbata off the second line, he's just wasted there. The Nucks need to play like the did when they beat LA 4-1 at the end of the year. LA is big, tough and fast and punish us but we controlled the play all game and won. Nucks used open ice, speed, solid passing and responsible D and that's what they need to do against the Flames. Use the space and ice to not be sitting targets, transition better, make good first passes to get out of the zone, gain entry not make four or five attempts. Use space and speed and then it helps negate the hitting of the Flames. You know Ferland is going to be around running every Canuck he can, so use it against them.

Archived