The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver Canucks are 2-13 in the Playoffs Since 2011 SCF Game 5 (Time to Rebuild?)

Canucks

Youth is coming guys, as those contracts expire our prospects will be AHL ripe and ready for the big show. We just need to get through this horrible gap Gillis made when he threw all his chips in on cup runs.

If we all believe this team isn't good enough to win, nature will take its course. We will finish at the bottom of the standings and pick some great players.

Stripping the core and running an ALL youth team simply doesn't work. Slowly bringing them in and surrounding the them with vets that take pride in the Canuck sweater is the way we need to go.

JB needed to make the playoffs to truly see what his team is. This was a year of pure observation. Now he can adjust accordingly.

The team needs to turn the page. The present core of veteran players can't get it done.

They've had a great run and have accomplished some amazing things, but all things must pass.

The Sedins, as amazing as they are, look a couple of steps back from where they were during the regular season. They don't have that inate ability to take a team on their back and change a series. If they decided to hang them up after this season, I wouldn't begrudge them for it.

Burrows, Bieksa, Higgins, and Hansen are deserving of new environments to give them a crack at the cup before retirement time arrives.

Sbisa and Bonino need to be liquidated while they still hold some worth.

The Canucks need to get bigger, younger, and meaner. They have been outplayed in this series. Making the playoffs was a decent achievement for this team but first round exits can't become the norm.

We

All

Never

Knew

Except

Read

Zip

ON

CDC

Except suggestions ours hero's actually sulked.

Shortly after we lost any game...

Its a sad story.I wish people actually supported the team.

Huh? I'm not following...is Timmy stuck down a well? Can you have your first coffee, head to work, log back in and try again. I'm not sure what is more confusing: your post or the fact that you actually edited it to arrive at this?

Summer 2015 best available UFA's:

Beleskey**

Fleischmann**

Erat

Meszaros

Williams**

Sekera

Brodziak

Stewart**

Franson**

Havlat

Neuvirth**

Martin

Ehrhoff**

Jackman

Z.Michalek

Green

Frolik

Tlusty**

Stafford

I put an ** beside the guys that I'd like to see GMJB go after if possible. But in order to add any of these guys we'd have to dump some salary. I still like a deal I proposed a couple years ago that would send the Sedins to Ottawa for Turris and Michalek...but now I think that deal would be moot...missed the opportunity there.

Not to single you out ABNuck, but I find it surprising how the majority of CDC seems to think it's easy to acquire free agents. The majority of Canucks history, GM's couldn't land high quality UFA's if their careers depended on it. As much as he was criticized, it was MG who changed that and made Vancouver a destination for free agents to come. How long that lasts I'm not sure nor optimistic but I was pleasantly stunned when we signed Miller and Vrbata last year and yet most of CDC whined about it and still think we can get anybody. Shows how really spoiled and entitled this fanbase has become. I think missing the playoffs for 5 years or so would do this franchise a world of good, if anything just to humble the fans.

Also, the Sedins are going nowhere. Everyone deal with it. Attempting to trade them now won't make us instant contenders, and the Sedins can mentor the young guns to take over before retiring. Besides, trade them and you really kill this market's appeal for free agents when they see how loyalty is repayed.

Is that the only thing you guys can reference now? The failure of the Oilers to properly develop their young players, while conveniently ignoring all other top teams, and rising teams who have successfully structured their foundation with top draft picks?

Let's be real, we have enough veteran presence on this team our rebuild will never resemble the Oilers. That being said, there is no reason for us to continuously ice a logjam of 3rd line veterans and 3rd pairing defensemen. Furthermore, the Miller signing and Vrbata signing at those prices indicate the temporary patches I aforementioned.

I'm not asking to buy-out all our veterans and ice a cast with Horvat as our 1C. However, there is nothing wrong with providing our young players a chance to make the club over these vets who will do nothing more than get us just enough points to contend for a playoff spot.

JB clearly conveyed a message to this city of what the Aqs wants, and that is to make the playoffs year after year. That means we aren't willing to sacrifice a few years patiently, but rather find mercenaries each summer and attempt to temporarily patch a glaring hole.

Get yourself a check, because I understand about this game far more than you do.

And clearly, you are oblivious to the management situation that directly impacts this team.

As for you asking me, and the likes of me to go jump on another team's bandwagon...

I'm a fan that is willing to stick through the hard few years of rebuilding for the better future of this team... while people like you will turn their back the moment this team loses the "winning culture".

It's actually kind of amazing that people continue to say things like this. At the beginning of the season, I stated that I didn't like the Vrbata and Miller signings, preferring that those spots go to young guys. Everyone was quick to bring up the Oiler thing then as well.

Meanwhile, the Flames are currently beating us thanks to excellent draft picks and a defenseman that blocks everything that comes close to him.

FULL REBUILD is what we need. This whole change is coming is BS otherwise. A retool isn't good enough. No one wants to watch a round 1 knockout team for the next ten years

Its just life. The West Coast Express was always bounced in the 1st round too. All we can do is make the show and see if the hockey Gods will give us anything to work with.

It's actually kind of amazing that people continue to say things like this. At the beginning of the season, I stated that I didn't like the Vrbata and Miller signings, preferring that those spots go to young guys. Everyone was quick to bring up the Oiler thing then as well.

Meanwhile, the Flames are currently beating us thanks to excellent draft picks and a defenseman that blocks everything that comes close to him.

The Flames did the same thing we are doing. They let Kipper retire, They made big signings every year.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata

Burrows-McCann-Hansen

Kenins-Richardson-Dorsett

Higgins,Bonino,Matthais gone

Edler-Tanev

Sbisa-Corrado

Ehrhoff(UFA)-Clenndening

Hamhuis/Bieksa gone

Hamhuis for 2nd, prospect, cap evener/ Bieksa 2nd d-man prospect

Miller

Markstrom

Defence isn't strong but whatever, We want to do well have a kids learn a lot. We probably won't make the playoffs with this lineup but we kinda don't want to. 2016 draft has some nice players

I hope they just tell Bieksa not to come back next year. Just stay home, he's done. Tired of his smug pompous attitude. He's an average defenseman at best. Take your NMC and piss off.

I was a Bieksa fan in the past, but I fully agree with this now.

With how terrible his team has been in their last dozen-or-so playoff games, he's got no right to talk smack. But in his head, he still thinks he/they are the powerhouse of 2011. Like when he said 'we know how to deal with dumb-dumbs like Ben Eager' - that was FOUR years ago, idiot! Based on this series, it's pretty clear who is irrelevant.

He's definitely lost a step since last year, and last year he was a step behind the year previous. I don't like how this trend reflects on next season. Does he have a NMC, or just a NTC? Capgeek only showed a NTC. Because at this rate, I'd be content on waiving him and hoping a young team picks him up for leadership with his reduced salary (2.5) for one year.

It would appear we are built for the regular season, as most of us have been saying since before the cup run, really.

The book is clearly out on us; hit us and we wilt.

Where we go from here, who knows.

that is why they hired linden and benning...they said they have a plan and are sticking to it...it will take time....

We are in a rebuild/retool. You don't rebuild by trading every player on the team, especially if you can't get fair value, and fill your roster with 25 year olds and younger.

• You establish a group of hardworking veterans. (check)
  • Stack your cupboards with quality prospects (check)
  • slowly integrate the prospects in the lineup. (check)

That's exactly what we are doing. This year brought up Bo Horvat for a permanent job, and Ronny Kenins, Linden Vey, and to an extent Adam Clendening for part time jobs. That's pretty good. Next year guys like Baertschi, Jensen, Corrado and maybe even a McCann or Virtanen will push for jobs as well. You can't just dump all the prospects in. You have to gradually bring them in. One or two at a time

Its just life. The West Coast Express was always bounced in the 1st round too. All we can do is make the show and see if the hockey Gods will give us anything to work with.

They beat St. Louis one year. That was an awesome series. Bert drilling Jackman every chance he got, and took out Al McInnis.

Is that the only thing you guys can reference now? The failure of the Oilers to properly develop their young players, while conveniently ignoring all other top teams, and rising teams who have successfully structured their foundation with top draft picks?

Let's be real, we have enough veteran presence on this team our rebuild will never resemble the Oilers. That being said, there is no reason for us to continuously ice a logjam of 3rd line veterans and 3rd pairing defensemen. Furthermore, the Miller signing and Vrbata signing at those prices indicate the temporary patches I aforementioned.

I'm not asking to buy-out all our veterans and ice a cast with Horvat as our 1C. However, there is nothing wrong with providing our young players a chance to make the club over these vets who will do nothing more than get us just enough points to contend for a playoff spot.

JB clearly conveyed a message to this city of what the Aqs wants, and that is to make the playoffs year after year. That means we aren't willing to sacrifice a few years patiently, but rather find mercenaries each summer and attempt to temporarily patch a glaring hole.

Get yourself a check, because I understand about this game far more than you do.

And clearly, you are oblivious to the management situation that directly impacts this team.

As for you asking me, and the likes of me to go jump on another team's bandwagon...

I'm a fan that is willing to stick through the hard few years of rebuilding for the better future of this team... while people like you will turn their back the moment this team loses the "winning culture".

This fanbase couldn't handle a quick rebuild. They go apesh-t after one defeat and want to fire their coach after 2 defeats.

Lets fire the fanbase, I'm sick of some of the people who populate these boards with their doom and gloom, sh-t or bust type of support.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but people on here take that too literally, (fire Willie, seriously how can anyone be so stupid?) why can't their opinions be less destructive.

It seems obvious from what TL said when he took the job, this is a 3-5 year process. That way the young players are introduced into a winning environment. That is what Willie has delivered. Tortorella didn't deliver a playoff opportunity, he didn't introduce any young blood and he abused the players.

I am not happy that we are failing to beat the Flames but bottom line is this process has only begun and I didn't really expect us to even get into the playoffs, especially given the horrific injuries.

We are in a rebuild/retool. You don't rebuild by trading every player on the team, especially if you can't get fair value, and fill your roster with 25 year olds and younger.

• You establish a group of hardworking veterans. (check)
  • Stack your cupboards with quality prospects (check)
  • slowly integrate the prospects in the lineup. (check)

That's exactly what we are doing. This year brought up Bo Horvat for a permanent job, and Ronny Kenins, Linden Vey, and to an extent Adam Clendening for part time jobs. That's pretty good. Next year guys like Baertschi, Jensen, Corrado and maybe even a McCann or Virtanen will push for jobs as well. You can't just dump all the prospects in. You have to gradually bring them in. One or two at a time

Well said, exactly. It's a transitional thing, not an event. People get caught up with that...in the words without thinking them out.

It happens a lot in just demanding that we pick up "this or that". "Trade" someone, like these are hockey cards not players. Every transaction takes a lot of work and, usually negotiation.

Over time, this team has made changes toward an end result but those looking for immediate gratification are blind to that. That trade all the playerz thing. Benning is out there working on this at this very moment. When you clear out the coach, GM, etc. they then get to start on their plan. That just began, have patience.

Archived