The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Flaw of this Team Does Not Lie Within Coaching

Hank Moody

If there is one thing that has been missing since 2011 is the accountability factor.

Almost every post game interview (whether we won or lost) the players would be saying we can be better. They were always striving for perfection.

I dont think I've heard a single player say that 'we can still play better' after a win. Or at least a win we deserved.

I want my team to ALWAYS want to be better.

I've heard that plenty of times. We've had games we might not have deserved to win yet did and the players and coaches have absolutely owned up to that. Even in games we did well in, we've had areas noted for improvement but at some point you have to take the positives. It's in practice that you work on the extras though, not in the post game press conference.

Sedins have actually played well... could use a bit more finish but they've been good on possession, generated shots and shut down the Monahan line at home when they were matched up. When the team struggles simply asking your best players to be better (when they've pulled their weight) is feeble-minded reasoning. Same kind of people who expect the goalie to pitch a shutout every night.

Look at the Flames... Aside from Ferland's hit parade (which you rarely see out of a top line player) they're getting a balanced attack. We aren't.

The biggest weakness is on our D from what I can see... Wilting under the forecheck and that's buggering up the whole process at either end of the rink. Edler and Tanev are good but lack the aggression to really clear the front of the net.... A job that actually calls for physicality. The rest are just bad.

We also miss Kassian.

Right. We need a crease clearing defender. Right now, we don't have anyone in the system so JB will have to acquire one through a trade or via UFA signing.

Edler and Tanev can be developed into more of an offensive pairing, we need a defensive pairing that can go up against any line.

The twins are trying but at the end of the day, they are 34. We can't rely on them to be our only primary scorers. Their performance will only decline, don't expect anything different unless we have other first liners. Unfortunately we do not have anyone that can step in

The biggest issue with this team is the $&!#ty defense. Outside of Edler and Hamhuis, every other defenseman isn't getting it done.

Tanev is one dimensional. He can barely throw a hit and is easily dealt with by an average size forward in the neutral zone. He clears the puck well.

Weber has a great shot and a whole lot of heart but is far too small to make any difference. He coughs the puck up to easily in his own end when hit.

Bieksa is waning. He has made very little impact when needed. Yeah he can fight and hit, but is woefully irresponsible in his own end.

Sbisa is one of the worst defenseman I've ever seen in a Canuck jersey. He is useless in all ends of the ice. He may have effort but regularly passes the puck to the opposition in the middle of the ice. I like the moves that Benning in the offseason, but resigning Sbisa is an unequivical error.

The Canucks need Pedan, Hutton, and Saunter to fight for spots next year. Hopefully Tanev and Sbisa will still hold high trade value so they can be sent elsewhere.

In your own post you comment on Henrik being 1PPG in the playoffs and Daniel 0.7 over the last 10 playoff games and state they're part of the problem with a straight face?

The Sedins have not and are not the problem. They won't be the "problem" until they retire and can no longer contribute on the ice.

The depth (and in particular, quality of depth) you refer to in 2011 is exactly what we are still lacking now (though it's certainly better than last year).

Next season we need more youth/speed/skill/size in our top 9 (quality).

The D needs a MAJOR overhaul, particularly on the right side. Tanev should be on the second pair and Bieksa on the third or traded. We DESPERATELY need a legit 1st pairing guy, preferably with some combination of size, offense, speed and grit to play with Edler.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Right. We need a crease clearing defender. Right now, we don't have anyone in the system so JB will have to acquire one through a trade or via UFA signing.

Edler and Tanev can be developed into more of an offensive pairing, we need a defensive pairing that can go up against any line.

Crease clearing defenseman = Andrey Pedan

Benning can share a bit of the blame too, he made the decision to not help this team at the trade deadline.

I guess he achieved the goal of getting into the playoffs.

Signing Sbisa was a horrible move. Tanev was given too much. Both highly overpaid for the limited tools they have. Tanev has a ton of hockey IQ but is a rag doll. Sbisa loves to hit but has zero hockey IQ.

Dorsett, Bonino, and Vrbata were awesome signings......for the regular season.

Looking back I thought benning was what this team needed but now I feel his drafting ability (?) is his only saving grace.

Pro - making playoffs, attempting a 4 line team, cutting some fat (garrison), getting Baertschi, Dorsett, signing Vrbata for depth

Con- anaheim schooled him for kesler, Bonino is slow as molasses, resigned Sbisa to a long term contact (dumbest move IMO), traded for Vey (soft player we didn't need), signing Vrbata who is soft in the playoffs

Benning sucks at trading that much is clear. Let's hope he can draft well or else this team is going nowhere but to the basement next few years

In your own post you comment on Henrik being 1PPG in the playoffs and Daniel 0.7 over the last 10 playoff games and state they're part of the problem with a straight face?

The Sedins have not and are not the problem. They won't be the "problem" until they retire and can no longer contribute on the ice.

The depth (and in particular, quality of depth) you refer to in 2011 is exactly what we are still lacking now (though it's certainly better than last year).

Next season we need more youth/speed/skill/size in our top 9 (quality).

The D needs a MAJOR overhaul, particularly on the right side. Tanev should be on the second pair and Bieksa on the third or traded. We DESPERATELY need a legit 1st pairing guy, preferably with some combination of size, offense, speed and grit to play with Edler.

Agree that this is probably the biggest single factor that prevents us from being a Cup contender. But those guys are hard to come by and that is one reason only a few teams are Cup contenders. Realistically, Edler and Tanev will be our top pairing next year. Hammer will be on the second pairing again and I am hoping he will at least have a legitimate top 4 D as his partner on the right side. I could see Corrado or Clendening to improving enough to fill that role better than Weber (who is good on the PP but not good enough 5-on-5). But a top 4 of Edler, Tanev, Hammer, and Corrado or Clendening would not have a lot of toughness or size and would not have much of a physical game.

And we need to upgrade the third pairing. Sbisa will be back given the big (and excessive) financial commitment made to him. But he needs to play with someone more reliable than Bieksa, who I see as dropping to 7th man. Maybe Pedan gets a shot.

I stopped reading after your rant about the Sedins and I already know I agree with what you're saying. To be fair, I'll go back and read everything but I'm 99% sure you're bang on with how I feel and how the majority of real die hard canucks fans feel. And if I'm wrong I'll correct myself.

Read everything like I said and I couldn't agree more. Especially the part where you talked about the "c of red" and "the whiteout". Take tonight as an example. The jets got eliminated but the jets still sat there yelling "go jets go" no matter what. Where the hell is our fan base that is so Canuck crazy? It's absolute BS.

Yeah I can't afford to go to a game but I swear to you I'm the loudest guy in my neighbourhood when Vancouver scores a goal. We're down 2-1? Not worried because Vancouver has come back all year long against adversity and have made me happy. Our fans need to step the F up and start cheering for this team win or lose.

We fired a guy who now has 3 presidents trophies in 6 years under his belt. Possibly 3 Stanley cup finals as well. That's as much proof as anyone needs to know that the coach isn't at fault and that it's the core we have. I really hope some big changes happen over the offseason whether we advance in the playoffs or not.

Archived