The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Willie Desjardins on TSN 1040

Jimbo572

Vrbata was either injured or the Sedins went to WD and said that the first line doesnt need to be loaded up. Is Vrbata playing the in WC?

Vrbata didn't even make the Czech Olympic team so I would assume they don't want him for the WC roster either.

Weber, Bieksa, Hamuis, Higgins, Hansen,Richardson, Vrbata out

Gaunce. Corrado, Clendenning, Bo-Sang, Griener, Jensen in

Concerned if Wille D makes them keep many of the veterans who need to leave vancity.

so you want to end up like Edmonton

news flash veterans are needed people and stop coming up with bs like Horvat proved WD wrong

Vrbata didn't even make the Czech Olympic team so I would assume they don't want him for the WC roster either.

Hall, Seguin, Giroux, Burns, Ekblad, Barrie, and all but four players on the Team Canada WC roster didn't make the Olympic team. By your logic, none of them should be on the WC team. Vrbata isn't going because he said no.

As for more youth in the lineup, don't be surprised if some of the team's prospects don't perform like Horvat their first time up. More likely you'll see some of them struggle a bit for consistency like Vey, and CDC didn't have a ton of patience for that.

Disappointed to hear some of the youth comments. Same old. Basically, if the young guys can come to camp and out-play the vets, they can take their spot. Instead of showing up, and displaying potential to be better than the vets and given a chance to do what Bo did. It appeared WD was forced to take on Bo against his wishes and much preferred going with guys like Higgins.

Overall, it sounds too much like the entire management team is taking the safe road in sticking with vets until they can be demonstrably out-played by rookies. The opposite approach Hartley and Calgary too with their youth...the same youth that were largely responsible for knocking the Nuck vets out of the playoffs.

As for winning environment, I don't really see the nucks vets as providing that. They failed to show up at numerous key times throughout the season and certainly at various points and in some games in the playoffs. How does that help the young guys to see vets disappear and unable to elevate their game (Higgins, Bieksa, Vrbata,).

The team needs new energy and attitude to change what this core has shown for the past 4 years. Young guys need to be given the benefit of the doubt if they can play even close to some of the redundant "soldiers" this team relies on.

I don't think Calgary has a different approach than Van as to inserting rookies into the lineup ...Calgary got Monahan 6th overall in 2013 and Bennett 4th overall in 2014 (Bennett may be the best player in that entire draft..IMO)...If we had more players of that pedigree,they too,would be in the lineup...I even doubt that Bennett or Monahan will play in the AHL.

so you want to end up like Edmonton

news flash veterans are needed people and stop coming up with bs like Horvat proved WD wrong

The all or nothing argument doesn't really apply here though. He was saying fringe core players like Bieksa and Higgins go. Neither is so important that the ship will sink without them. In fact it is probably more likely to sink with them in key roles.

Until vets and young players alike both have to actually earn their spots this team will continue to get worse relative to other pacific teams.

And Edmonton will have a much easier time adding vet leadership to their skilled young players than Van will have doing the opposite unless they finally place expectations of vets having to be clearly better than the potential of young guys as well.

I don't think Calgary has a different approach than Van as to inserting rookies into the lineup ...Calgary got Monahan 6th overall in 2013 and Bennett 4th overall in 2014 (Bennett may be the best player in that entire draft..IMO)...If we had more players of that pedigree,they too,would be in the lineup...I even doubt that Bennett or Monahan will play in the AHL.

They have a very different approach actually. They trust their young guys toward from their mistakes and take the reigns. It is a huge difference in approach.

Hall, Seguin, Giroux, Burns, Ekblad, Barrie, and all but four players on the Team Canada WC roster didn't make the Olympic team. By your logic, none of them should be on the WC team. Vrbata isn't going because he said no.

As for more youth in the lineup, don't be surprised if some of the team's prospects don't perform like Horvat their first time up. More likely you'll see some of them struggle a bit for consistency like Vey, and CDC didn't have a ton of patience for that.

The Czech team wasn't exactly a fountain of riches like Team Canada.

The Czech team wasn't exactly a fountain of riches like Team Canada.

What you said just reinforces my point.

The Czech system has less depth. Why would they say no to a 30-goal scorer in the NHL, regardless of whether he made the 2014 Olympic team? As I said, Vrbata declined an invite.

They have a very different approach actually. They trust their young guys toward from their mistakes and take the reigns. It is a huge difference in approach.

I disagree. Calgary has been living the mantra of "everything earned, nothing given" for some time now. They play their best players period. The rookies in their lineup had to outplay vets & prove themselves to get their spots, the same thing WD and JB are preaching. Gaudreau was healthy scratched early in the season for not playing the right way & there was talk of him being sent down if he didn't pick it up immediately.

I disagree. Calgary has been living the mantra of "everything earned, nothing given" for some time now. They play their best players period. The rookies in their lineup had to outplay vets & prove themselves to get their spots, the same thing WD and JB are preaching. Gaudreau was healthy scratched early in the season for not playing the right way & there was talk of him being sent down if he didn't pick it up immediately.

Learning to play in the NHL for many prospects, take splaying in the NHL. Very hard for them to shoe u at camp and beat guys who have been paying in the league for 10 years. Part of the issue is mix of talent..the Nucks have too many mid=level grinders who have peaked or are in decline...Higgins, Hansen, Burrows...for wyars this team has needed support offensively for the Sedins...does bringing back that group of vets make sense over young guys who show more offensive upside but need some learning time?

Actually their young guys showed they deserved the chance to outplay their vets but were not totally expected to already be better players. The two teams are in similar circumstances actually. The vets are not playing any better than the promise of what the young kids can do.

Bennett was brought in having proved nothing to earn a top 6 job over a vet. The vets proved they couldn't handle the job as well as the potential that Bennett could. So he was given an opportunity. And as butt hurt as cdc is about him he proved them right.

Part of earning it is having the right tool set for the job at hand. The difference between Calgary and Van is that in Calgary earning it can come from a vet not earning it. In Van only the young player has to earn it no matter what the vet does.

Dramatic difference in philosophy.

Disappointed to hear some of the youth comments. Same old. Basically, if the young guys can come to camp and out-play the vets, they can take their spot. Instead of showing up, and displaying potential to be better than the vets and given a chance to do what Bo did. It appeared WD was forced to take on Bo against his wishes and much preferred going with guys like Higgins.

Overall, it sounds too much like the entire management team is taking the safe road in sticking with vets until they can be demonstrably out-played by rookies. The opposite approach Hartley and Calgary too with their youth...the same youth that were largely responsible for knocking the Nuck vets out of the playoffs.

As for winning environment, I don't really see the nucks vets as providing that. They failed to show up at numerous key times throughout the season and certainly at various points and in some games in the playoffs. How does that help the young guys to see vets disappear and unable to elevate their game (Higgins, Bieksa, Vrbata,).

The team needs new energy and attitude to change what this core has shown for the past 4 years. Young guys need to be given the benefit of the doubt if they can play even close to some of the redundant "soldiers" this team relies on.

I agree........there needs to be some room for rookies to be transitioned into our lineup....something that has been lacking the last few years resulting in an severely aging team. Calgary took a chance on Johnny Hockey and look what resulted.

Sometimes you just have to take some chances (i.e. Bo) rather than expecting a rookie to beat out a vet for a position in the short training camp......

True, but we didn't have one available.......Vrbata would have been a better choice than Hansen IMO.

Hansen was better on Bo's line.

It would have also made us a one line team. Bad idea.

Vrbata is a great option with the twins on the PP or loading up a line/pulling the goalie.

Otherwise the team is better off spreading the offense and with more complimentary line mates.

Archived