The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Willie Desjardins on TSN 1040

Jimbo572

Just listened to the press conference with WD, TL, and JB. Was kind of disappointed.

One piece of news was that Benning plans to re-sign Weber. That was in response to a question about needed a more dynamic presence on the back end. After seeing Weber get pushed around in the playoffs (and seeing his offense dry up) I was amazed by that response. And if Sbisa is worth $3.6 million who knows how much Weber is worth.

Really disappointed when I heard Benning say this. I don't think him and Willie get it. Disappointed so many "smart" hockey people really aren't that smart

If management come back with essentially the same team next year with zero augmentation in size and toughness, they won't make the post season. At all.

Signing Weber is a mistake, as was signing Sbisa. I was under the impression that Benning wanted to make the team tougher to play against. Instead it looks like he's signing all the fringe defensemen he can find.

His whole quote of having really good players in a winning environment seems counterintuitive when you resign two defensemen who were useless plugs in the first round of the playoffs.

If management come back with essentially the same team next year with zero augmentation in size and toughness, they won't make the post season. At all.

Signing Weber is a mistake, as was signing Sbisa. I was under the impression that Benning wanted to make the team tougher to play against. Instead it looks like he's signing all the fringe defensemen he can find.

His whole quote of having really good players in a winning environment seems counterintuitive when you resign two defensemen who were useless plugs in the first round of the playoffs.

That's what I think too- but look on the bright side if they resign weber and go with the same core most of us will get what we want - a rebuild - bc the team will just be old and sucky

i'm not thrilled about bringing back weber, but i'm not surprised at all. he won't be (comparably) expensive for a 10+ goal dman, and the team seems to be building a fairly strong swiss contingent (sbisa, weber, baertschi, kenins logged lots of time in switzerland).

weber is a young, stop-gap defenceman who can put up points on the power play and move up to the top 4 in a pinch.

not optimal, but it is what it is.

i'm not thrilled about bringing back weber, but i'm not surprised at all. he won't be (comparably) expensive for a 10+ goal dman, and the team seems to be building a fairly strong swiss contingent (sbisa, weber, baertschi, kenins logged lots of time in switzerland).

weber is a young, stop-gap defenceman who can put up points on the power play and move up to the top 4 in a pinch.

not optimal, but it is what it is.

Weber is a good depth option. Having said that there are some things you pay for. Elite offensive dmen are one such thing.

The only thing that worries me about re-signing Weber is that if they're re-signing him, it's quite likely they have little/no plans of actually addressing the main weakness in our D of a top 4, fast skating PMD with some size.

Weber's great as a 6/7 offensive D but he's not that ^^^.

Also brings in to question what their plans are for Clendening.

Who knows, maybe it's all a smoke show...?

The only thing that worries me about re-signing Weber is that if they're re-signing him, it's quite likely they have little/no plans of actually addressing the main weakness in our D of a top 4, fast skating PMD with some size.

Yes, and it probably means another year in Utica for Corrado, unless they move Bieksa.

I don't see the Canucks re-signing Weber despite what Benning says. He's not going to come out and say that they're not re-signing him, rather he's putting it out there in case some deals fall through come July 1st and he has a backup plan.

You can't have a dispensable defenseman like Weber when you have Clendenning and/or Corrado coming up who are ready to be in the 5/6 spot.

Yes, and it probably means another year in Utica for Corrado, unless they move Bieksa.

Weber is an RFA though. Makes sense to qualify him/get him signed. If we can land someone like Green in the summer we can still move Weber for say a 3rd or in a package.

Ugggghh...now that we're out of the playoffs I just want the draft and free agency to come :lol:

Blunt, the water is only going to get deeper next year in terms of making the playoffs. I missed the presser, but I don't like what I'm hearing here at all. Unless Bieksa is moved along, we just might get the exact same defense group, and that would be completely unacceptable.

Considering Benning kept saying they had not discussed the personnel yet it is strange if they have made such a decision already on Weber. It is also strange that Weber kind of sounded like he would be looking for a contract not a lock to be returning.

I have no issue with Weber as a depth option. But he does not answer the biggest needs on this D. Plus it is getting crowded with guys who will have to clear waivers. What is Corrado's status next season? I thought he was waiver eligible too.

Considering Benning kept saying they had not discussed the personnel yet it is strange if they have made such a decision already on Weber. It is also strange that Weber kind of sounded like he would be looking for a contract not a lock to be returning.

I have no issue with Weber as a depth option. But he does not answer the biggest needs on this D. Plus it is getting crowded with guys who will have to clear waivers. What is Corrado's status next season? I thought he was waiver eligible too.

Corrado, Clendenning and Baertschi are all waiver eligible next season.

If anything happens and Weber IS retained, then I see Corrado traded over Clendenning only because Clendenning is a JB acquisition.

I hope that's not the case however, Corrado has far more potential than Weber, and can play a far grittier style.

1. So long as Weber is signed at a reasonable price without a ntc (or a weak limited one) they could sign him and include a d-man, who could be Weber, in a trade. It probably means that they're unlikely to deal with that weakness through the free agent market, though I guess even that could happen if they reduce the number of d-men and cap hittrade a fairly expensive d-man for one or more picks, one or more young prospects not expected to play in the NHL this coming season.

I disagree with those posters who are against signing Weber and consider him garbage. I think this season he played as a solid #6 who was playing over his head as a #4.

2. I think that subject to trades, they carry 8 defencemen next season. In no order other than that what easiest for me to list, Edler, Tanev, Hamhuis, Weber, Sbisa, Bieksa, Corrado, Clendening.

My guess is that unless the number of d-men decrease through trade, Stanton is the odd man out. (I'm not advocating for that, just that's what I think the plan will be if it doesn't change through trade.

Vrbata was either injured or the Sedins went to WD and said that the first line doesnt need to be loaded up. Is Vrbata playing the in WC? That would be a big indication of a injury.

Did not like his answers regarding Horvat, and younger players. If cdc didnt like AV well WD sounds just as stubborn.

Even though the nucks made the playoffs, Benning and WD got more disappointing to me as the season went on. Some questionable moves for sure. Hopefully it was just a speedbump and we can chalk it up as a rookie mistake.

Really disappointed when I heard Benning say this. I don't think him and Willie get it. Disappointed so many "smart" hockey people really aren't that smart

Are you a "Smart" Hockey person? You seem to believe you would make a better GM

Sedin line:

-Burrows was the best fit with the Sedins

-Wouldn't answer why Vrbata didn't play with Sedins in the playoffs --> he said "some stuff stays in the room"

-Hansen adds speed and grit

Liked what I heard about Bo and not gonna comment about the playoff bit, rather want to focus on the Sedin bit. 1) Hope he gives Zack more chances with them next year, he's got tools, just has to put them together. 2) wonder what he meant about keeping "some stuff in the room"? To extrapolate, it makes me wonder if it would match what J.B. was part of in Boston (Tyler Seguin deal), as (re-watching the video in the room) maybe he wants a more physical and less purely skilled guy and free up some money? Purely my own speculation but basing it off of how he wasn't able to do as well in the tighter checking (hence putting Hansen with the Twins).

Archived