The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Edler to Ottawa & some extra spice!

Super down still from the way our season crumbled... Thought I'd make a proposal. I love Edler but it's evident our D needs a shake up and I don't see why juice or Hammer would waive. I'm just SPECULATING here but I think Ottawa would be one of the few teams Edler would waive for.

Here are reasons why he would waive

1. Very good friends with Karlsson and could form a much better top pair with him than Methot like they did in the Olympics.

2. Stays in the better Country and doesn't have to go to a dump in the US.

3. Goes to a young up in coming team that could really compete next year and have a shot at the cup.

4. Plenty of cap space for him in Ottawa + the can add more to the team with all their cap

5. He'll be under far less pressure than Vancouver. Smaller market and the spotlight is generally on Karlsson.

6. Edler wouldn't mind leaving the spotlight. Probably one of the most low key guys on our team.

The Proposal

Edler + Matthias for Zibanejad.

** should Shawn stay with Ottawa, Vancouver gets a second rounder. Either 2015 or 2016 whatever Murray is happy with.

Matthias would easily top 20+ goals in the east. He feasts off the sad, weak eastern conference. (sorry had to take a shot at the east)

Next step. Sign Mika. 3 years 8.25 (2.75 cap hit). He'll remain with Vancouver for the duration of the Sedins contract. No brainer for him to play with arguably the greatest Swedish athletes of all time (sorry zlatan, soccer is a dive fest)

I don't really see how this helps us. We would be losing one of our top defenders and gaining a position that we are fairly strong at.

This would slow down Bo Horvat's production as Zibenejad would likely take the 2C position, which I believe is where Bo will be playing next year.

I do see the upside of Zibenajad possibly becoming a 1C player in the future, but I think he has very similar potential to Horvat and McCann. I would rather see players in our organization develop while hanging onto one of the few defenceman we have that is actually earning his AAV.

Mika could play wing or center, he's an easy fit for either powerplay unit.

I was thinking maybe trade vrbata for a dman after? Bonino and Bo would be great line 2 or 3 centers.

Maybe Mika on the wing with twins or on the wing with Bo if Bo is ready for 2nd line center.

are you high apollo like really you want us to trade our best dman whos a solid number two dman for a young center and a second rounder you do realize edlers contract is a steal on free agent market hed get 7-8 mill per yr he has 3 more yrs locked in. If anything we trade hamhuis and tanev. and let bieska finish out contract as a third pairing d we are deep at center bo mccann cassels coming up the pipeline even gaunce can play c.

trade higgins, bonino, hansen, hamhuis, markstrom, sbisa.

sign franson, occonnor and get a ppqb mobile dman in a trade

After this trade:

Hamhuis-Tanev

Sbisa-Bieksa

Stanton-Clendening/Corrado/Weber

Oh god no please. Our defense is awful as it is. I'm all for a shake up, but trading one of our 2 best d-men isn't the way to do it.

If Edler would be traded, the Canucks would need to have a plan for strengthening our D elsewhere (like through free agency). I could see him going to Ottawa, it makes sense based on your reasoning, but I strongly doubt they'd give up Zibanejad. I think a deal more along the lines of Cody Ceci and a draft pick (2nd rounder?) for Edler

Iono guys... All you saying no, it's a great hockey trade. Good value for both teams and beefs up our offense.

We could target green or preferably franson in free agency and replace the spot. Clendening is nhl ready imo too... We got too many d man making 4+ and this is a logical hockey trade.

Juice and Hammer are very unlikely to waive.

Iono guys... All you saying no, it's a great hockey trade. Good value for both teams and beefs up our offense.

We could target green or preferably franson in free agency and replace the spot. Clendening is nhl ready imo too... We got too many d man making 4+ and this is a logical hockey trade.

Juice and Hammer are very unlikely to waive.

It's a great trade value wise I'd say, although it is taking a weak point from either team and leaving holes in the roster. We do not have a viable option to replace Edler long term, as Ottawa would not have a worthy replacement for Zibinejad.

sorry but. bieska and hamhuis only have a yr left on their deals losing 3 of our top four d possibly by next draft creates massive holes in our team if you think stanton, clendenning and corrado and sbisa and tanev can provide 60 points combined in a season your nuts our offensive will dry up and die

are you high apollo like really you want us to trade our best dman whos a solid number two dman for a young center and a second rounder you do realize edlers contract is a steal on free agent market hed get 7-8 mill per yr he has 3 more yrs locked in. If anything we trade hamhuis and tanev. and let bieska finish out contract as a third pairing d we are deep at center bo mccann cassels coming up the pipeline even gaunce can play c.

trade higgins, bonino, hansen, hamhuis, markstrom, sbisa.

sign franson, occonnor and get a ppqb mobile dman in a trade

With all the turnovers Edler has made (esp causing goals) he is not our best D man. Tanev is our best D man by far - I just wish he was a little stronger. Sbisa really improved in the last half of the season. I wouldn't trade him. I'd trade Edler but preferably for a D man that hits and puts up adequate points or for some high draft picks.

Archived