The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning could look at trading Eddie Lack - Article

Eddie's stats were better than Millers, but Miller played behind a deeper team. I cannot think of a game this year where Miller stole one for us, and there were some nights where he was blown out--with a deeper team.

check the playoff stats

Miller was better than Lack plain and simple

TRADE 'EM ALL, I SAY... We're the Canucks. We don't need no stinkin' goalie!!! We'll win the Stanley Cup with three forwards and three defencemen.

Uh...oh...sorry. Brain fart there. :rolleyes::picard:

(for those of you with no sense of humour - this is SARCASM)

As far as I'm concerned, I'm going to wait to see what happens with the AHL Comets and their run for the Calder Cup before I make a determination on who I want to see get traded. Right now, Markstrom is playing hard and the Comets won the first game of the Western Conference finals. Can Markstrom get them to the Calder Cup and win it all? That's a question mark. If Markstrom goes all the way, then fine - trade Lack. If not then it's a three-way Mexican stand-off as to who gets traded.

This better be a joke because WOW trade all our goalies??? Are you out of your mind??? Unless there's some subtle sarcasm I missed this may be the worst post I've seen on this site. Please try to pay attention to how hockey works. :picard:

This better be a joke because WOW trade all our goalies??? Are you out of your mind??? Unless there's some subtle sarcasm I missed this may be the worst post I've seen on this site. Please try to pay attention to how hockey works. :picard:

he straight up said that he was using sarcasm. Not subtle, blatant!

:picard:

he straight up said that he was using sarcasm. Not subtle, blatant!

:picard:

:emot-parrot: Yep...guess I hooked one (with no sense of humor). :bigblush: He missed the broadside of the barn door.

Evidently you missed the broadside sarcasm, kiddo.

I'm still not sold on Markstrom despite his lights-out play in the AHL this Calder playoff series. I'm not sure if he can make the jump from AHL starter to NHL backup but the only way to know for sure is to risk playing a tandem of Miller/Markstrom or Lack/Markstrom and see if he's up to it. But that's going to involve trading either Miller or Lack and I'm not sure that Lack has what it takes to be a full-time starter in the NHL yet. He did fine for the stretch that Miller was injured, but whether that's enough to turn the reins over to him full-time - I don't think so, but he is the better choice over Markstrom. But given the choice between Markstrom and Lack on who to trade...I'd probably go with Markstrom being traded. Better to go with the goalie you know than an unknown quantity. At least we know how Lack performs under pressure in an NHL situation.

Redundant? More like severely underrated. 2.5 million for a good third liner who frequently slots into our second, good for 35-40 points each season and is a big part of one of the best PK's in the league, sure sounds like a great deal to me. Higgins is a good two way forward with a large amount of experience to draw on when teaching our youngsters how to play in a defensively responsible manner. There is no reason to get rid of Higgins, unless our lineup drastically changes.

Hansen and Burrows are already just like him but have better speed to help out on the penalty kill. Burrows is hard to move and Hansen for his speed is a better fit than trying to play Higgins on the second line which they did most of this past season.

Higgins is a good third liner. Problem is he has been used in a second line role the past couple of years and he is not a very good skater just like Bonino.

Canucks need more youth,speed, and guys who play with excitement and energy. Higgins is very streaky to be playing next to Bonino on the second line again.

Anyone who wouldn't make that trade is a fool on the Canucks part.

I thought it fits their needs pretty good. Young starter, young NHL ready dman and a pick upgrade to a spot a few good dmen will be available. I think they'd still probably be better off trading him in more of a 1 for 1 deal for a blue chip dman though but it could get them listening.

Sorry I forgot that even though Gretzky got moved the sedins are waaaaaaay better and can't be traded. And you're absolutely right everyone loves Vancouver so much that no one would ever waive to get moved out of Vancouver, not even for a chance at a cup. Although everyone in the league would surely waive theirs to come to Vancouver. That's the only way crosby could be guaranteed another cup.

Lets move Higgins+Vey+ bieksa+ 4th 2015 for Crosby+ 1st 2015

LOL...nice hallucination there.

Anyone who wouldn't make that trade is a fool on the Canucks part.

Oh man that deal gets me excited inside. Horvat and Draisaitl for the future is nuts. That is the future Towes and Kopitar basically. Well maybe not Towes, but I think Horvat has that kind of upside.

Unless JB can get a 1st rnd pick for Lack, what would be the point in trading him?

I've been stating basically the same thing for pages.

And not a late first, I want a 10-20 pick at minimum. Just because a late 1st/early 2nd is better than what either Markstrom or Miller would fetch you doesn't make it good value for Lack or good asset management. I'd rather have Miller's cap space and paltry trade assets than 35th pick and lose Lack for less than he's worth just keeping to us.

Only way I move Lack is if there's literally ZERO, ZILCH, NADA market for Miller (even retaining a bit of salary or taking back a "bad" $1m-$2m contract) or if we can package Lack to get a much needed 20-25 year old, future top2/4 PMD.

I've been stating basically the same thing for pages.

And not a late first, I want a 10-20 pick at minimum. Just because a late 1st/early 2nd is better than what either Markstrom or Miller would fetch you doesn't make it good value for Lack or good asset management. I'd rather have Miller's cap space and paltry trade assets than 35th pick and lose Lack for less than he's worth just keeping to us.

Only way I move Lack is if there's literally ZERO, ZILCH, NADA market for Miller (even retaining a bit of salary or taking back a "bad" $1m-$2m contract) or if we can package Lack to get a much needed 20-25 year old, future top2/4 PMD.

A great take on the situation. If Miller had not got injured in February Benning could have dealt him then for great value I suspect. If Lack is dealt then Benning has to have great confidence in Markstrom as a possible backup. I still think there has to be a market for Miller. It might end up as a multi

player deal. Miller and Bieksa yields what?

I thought it fits their needs pretty good. Young starter, young NHL ready dman and a pick upgrade to a spot a few good dmen will be available. I think they'd still probably be better off trading him in more of a 1 for 1 deal for a blue chip dman though but it could get them listening.

Outside of Lack, this really doesn’t fit their needs that much.

Between Nikitin, Fayne, Farence, Kelfbom, Nurse, Shultz, Frankie would probably be seen more as depth 7/8 defencemen. Add to the fact that there are some decent depth defencemen available in the UFA market this year.

The 1st doesn’t really help them as they already have 3 picks within the first 33, and honestly the oilers are not in a big need to be stock piling up more picks.

I really don’t see Leon as an expendable piece for the oilers. I think the player that becomes movable is RNH. In 3 years they have a future 1-2 punch of McDavid and Leon which is the type of mix you need to have in your top six center. A mix a skill and size. McDavid and RNH don’t provide that, a ton of skill but not ideal mix. Depending on the development of both McDavid and Leon, in 2 years I can see RNH being shopped for a top D. A deal surrounding Jones and RNH could be a good fit for both teams.

Archived