The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning could look at trading Eddie Lack - Article

If Canucks could get a 2nd and 3rd for Miller while retaining $1.5M, I'd think they should. I doubt JB would do it, though.

Here I disagree with you completely about Markstrom's ability, though don't disagree with the idea of trading him.

I think Markstrom has the talent to play in the NHL. Earlier in his career he likely didn't have the technique and it is still something to work on, but imo he's ready if given the chance.

The problem is I don't think WD will give Markstrom, or any backup for that matter, much of a chance. I think his goaltending philosophy is it's one guy's team to take over and the backup is just that, a backup, to give the starter a rare bit of rest.

The reason I think that goes back to February 26. Lack had just played three hard games, facing a lot of shots and some crashing of the net and many were predicting Markstrom would start. I turned on the radio for a short while to listen to the pregame show. WD was asked about his starting goalie and said he'd thought about starting Markstrom but thought it a chance for Eddie to take the team on his shoulders and run with it.

Until then I'd had a tough time understanding why WD started Miller so much to the exclusion of Lack. He wants a goalie to handle pretty much all of the starts, to take the team over.

I think Markstrom is ready, but don't think he'll get a chance as backup under WD. For that reason we maybe come to the same conclusion-that maybe Markstrom should be traded and a free agent signed-but for very different reasons.

Imo Lack if offered a one year contract would head straight to free agency with the plan of signing some place he's wanted.

otoh, if he is offered a multi-year contract with a considerably lower salary in the first year to help solve the Canucks' salary cap issue until Miller's contract expires, he might consider it.

I suspect, though, that Lack wants more than WD will be wiling to give him if Miller is still here. I think WD sees it as being Miller's team and any 2nd goalie will be given little time or consideration.

Actually, the message I'd get from the Canucks moving Miller would be quite the opposite.

There's a poll on hfboards about whether to move Miller, move Lack or keep both. Right now the results are 78% to move Miller, 14% to keep both and under 8% to move Lack. It seems that at least that portion of the Canuck fans aren't about to take a negative message from moving Miller.

I accept that higgyfan would take the message he speaks of, but it is wrong to assume others will have the same opinion.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1862775&page=36

I was simply pointing out that JB stated that he brought in Miller to prove to the vets that he had confidence in their abilities and that Miller would give them a chance to prove it. So, yeah...trading Miller is a change in that message.

I don't bother with HF Boards anymore. They are the most negative bunch of 'fans' I've ever seen.

The 5th possibility is to trade Markstrom AND Lack, and to pick up another back up goalie for Miller

Benefit - an asset for Markstrom

- a decent return for the most trade-able goalie, Lack

- no huge cap waste by having 2 goalies with large salaries at the same time

Cost - when Miller retires (assumed) in 2 years, there may not be a starter in the system who is ready

- have 2 years to find or develop a starting goaltender

- giving up a solid if unspectacular future starter with an outstanding attitude in Eddy Lack :sadno:

I'm only putting this idea out there as a possibility.

Goalies are so easy to find in the market. If we do get rid of Lack, I guarantee you in two years, their will be some goal tender in the market to sign.

Good goalies are not always easy to find! Their stats can be skewed by playing for poor defensive teams or playing on excellent defensive teams. Devon Dubnik is a prime example of this. Over estimating the skills of the likes of Ben Scrivens, Martin Jones and Cam Talbot can be dangerous. Look at Ben Scrivens numbers with LA and then with the Oilers. The best way to get a good goalie is to have a good defense.

Trading Miller and having a Lack/Markstrom tandem would change JBs message to the team and their fans. "Change of direction folks...we no longer looking at being competitive; we are now looking at full rebuild."

Whether that's a good thing or bad thing for the team remains to be seen. It also remains to be seen if this team can be competitive next season regardless. It 's going to be an interesting summer for the Canucks, that's for certain.

You are assuming that the Canucks lose by trading Miller. Lack was outplaying Miller consistently before his injury. The whole point

of moving Miller is what can be garnered in return and a sizeable CAP relief. It is a big question what Miller will return in a deal now.

His short 2 year contract has to be attractive. I keep think Buffalo because of his history there. Buffalo will struggle to hit the CAP

minimum so $6mil a year for two years is more than doable. Perhaps a 2nd vet is added in a deal depending on what is offered.

Miller and Higgins for a pick and prospect?

You are assuming that the Canucks lose by trading Miller. Lack was outplaying Miller consistently before his injury. The whole point

of moving Miller is what can be garnered in return and a sizeable CAP relief. It is a big question what Miller will return in a deal now.

His short 2 year contract has to be attractive. I keep think Buffalo because of his history there. Buffalo will struggle to hit the CAP

minimum so $6mil a year for two years is more than doable. Perhaps a 2nd vet is added in a deal depending on what is offered.

Miller and Higgins for a pick and prospect?

I was assuming nothing. I was simply pointing out that JB stated that he brought in Miller to prove to the vets that he had confidence in their abilities and that Miller would give them a chance to prove it. Trading Miller would certainly be a change in that message, don't you think?

Miller and Higgins have LNTC so that's not an easy task. Perhaps Miller and Higgy do not chose to go to Buff. I would say that's more than likely.

Even if Lack isn't ready to be the clear cut number 1, who cares?

This team has shown it can't compete in the playoffs anyways. Right now it's about transitioning youth in the lineup while remaining somewhat competitive. That includes seeing what we have in Markstrom.

Trading away young assets because we have no choice is not a successful strategy for rebuilding a team.

This is absolute truth.

But is not necessarily the future. I believe this year, and even next the Twins will still be at worst possession Kings. Add Kassian and Virtanen back to the roster and we have an element that could have punished Calgary just as they ran at us. Add growth in his game to Horvat and we have that number 2 center. It really hinges on whether we can add to the defence?

But you are still right. It still would not make sense to trade your young assets because you mismanaged the chance to keep them...

Cap hit is the average salary for the life of the contract. That's the problem, Eddy deserves a 5 year, 20 mil contract. (4 mil cap hit).

I don't think he wants to go short term myself, he's 27. As I've said before, having 10 mil tied up in goal and at any given time, 4-6 mil sitting on the bench even for one year is hard to swallow.

I think that trading Lack is the worst option long term because when Miller is gone in 2 years, they are left with Markstrom who we don't even know if he can play in the NHL.

Two things about this. First your right about salary. And it's exactly why lack will want a fulltime starting role this year either as or not part of the Canucks. This is his contract year. This is the year he's going to want to hit it big with a long term decent money deal. Playing 30 games doesn't really help his barganing power. But playing fulltime #1 for a team and posting decent stats gets him a big pay raise. It's not always about the money. But when your in the prime of your career and you really only have 5-8 more years of good hockey ahead of you your going to want to make every year count. If miller can't be dealt, lack likely asks to.

Second. Just because we don't know about who would be goalie in two years doesn't mean benning doesn't have a good idea. We don't even know if lack is truely ready to handle the pressure of a number one. Maybe this year in the ahl has changed Benning mind about markstrom. There's a good chance he sees markstrom as the goalie of the future and two years of mentoring under miller would be perfect for him at the NHL level. Benning has a way better evaluation on his players and what ever move he makes I trust him on it.

^ Lack has 1 year left on his deal, Miller 2.

If we keep both, which I hope not, we have one year with a big hit on goalie salaries. But it would be in 2016 / 2017, perceivably the first year we could be contenders again if things went to plan...

Then the year after would have been Demko's target arrival?

Doesn't Demko require hip surgery still?

There is a full year to make a decision on Lack. Perhaps the more he develops, the higher his price may be so if he gets traded, maybe the trade deadline in 2016 is a better time. We assume that Benning wants to trade Lack for a pick this year but next year is a good draft too.

There is only a month or so (effectively the draft) to decide on Markstrom though. And Benning is watching him carefully through the Comets playoff run so he hasn't decided what to do yet.

As far as mismanaging Markstrom, they are the victim of the CBA there. If a player doesn't develop to a point where they have earned a spot on their NHL club by the time they become an RFA, then a team has a tough decision to make. We saw this with Vey, Clendening and Baertschi so I must assume it happens all the time.

As far as the Miller contract for 3 years, it was a mistake but I can't fault Benning for not having the foresight to see this issue coming. He had a lot to do in short order and by and large he did very well.

Doesn't Demko require hip surgery still?

There is a full year to make a decision on Lack. Perhaps the more he develops, the higher his price may be so if he gets traded, maybe the trade deadline in 2016 is a better time. We assume that Benning wants to trade Lack for a pick this year but next year is a good draft too.

There is only a month or so (effectively the draft) to decide on Markstrom though. And Benning is watching him carefully through the Comets playoff run so he hasn't decided what to do yet.

As far as mismanaging Markstrom, they are the victim of the CBA there. If a player doesn't develop to a point where they have earned a spot on their NHL club by the time they become an RFA, then a team has a tough decision to make. We saw this with Vey, Clendening and Baertschi so I must assume it happens all the time.

As far as the Miller contract for 3 years, it was a mistake but I can't fault Benning for not having the foresight to see this issue coming. He had a lot to do in short order and by and large he did very well.

Lack is UFA next year, so no his value wont really rise at this time next year. Teams could just sign him as UFA.

With the miller contract it, Depends how you want to look at it. If we move Lack this year for picks and keep Markstrom as a back up, the MIller contract is the perfect contract. 3 years of keeping us competitive, as well as 2 years of developing our next starter.

Canucks need to make the decision this summer, If Lack is the future guy, move Miller this summer free up some cap and make Lack the guy,

if Benning believes Markstrom is the guy, move Lack and bring Markstrom up as back up behind miller to get mentored.

By draft we will know the direction he wants to go.

Depends how you want to look at it. If we move Lack this year for picks and keep Markstrom as a back up, the MIller contract is the perfect contract. 3 years of keeping us competitive, as well as 2 years of developing our next starter.

Not to mention if we can package the picks from a Lack trade to move into the top 10, it may be worth it.

I was assuming nothing. I was simply pointing out that JB stated that he brought in Miller to prove to the vets that he had confidence in their abilities and that Miller would give them a chance to prove it. Trading Miller would certainly be a change in that message, don't you think?

Miller and Higgins have LNTC so that's not an easy task. Perhaps Miller and Higgy do not chose to go to Buff. I would say that's more than likely.

If I am Miller and Higgins I am looking at Van's future during what time they have left in their careers. True enough Buffalo will not

contend for a CUP during that time. I through the idea out since both have spent considerable time in their lives in New York state.

It might appeal to wind up their careers there. Probably a stretch but this is summer speculation time. No?

Yeah those teams CAR ARZ have bigger issues than there goaltending. CAR needs better wingers and defense and ARZ is probably gonna go through a rebuild of some sort so why would they need a goalie? If anything ARZ would want Markstrom.

Considering Lehtonen played great last year I am positive Dallas won't give up on him this year. You can't make changes based off one bad year, look at Edler for example. Players bounce back.

NYI don't need to make any changes in their goaltending or at all in that matter. You're pretty much dreaming if you think they would trade for Miller or Lack. I would much rather have Halak than Lack or Miller in the playoffs.

All of these teams have their goaltenders under contract for multiple years besides Ward who had a great bounce back year on a team that couldn't score. Not saying Ward was elite but in terms of improvement he was one of the most improved goalies of this season. Underlying season for Ward.

Funny you bring up Miller's knee injury. That works against trading him to as not only does he have a 5 team NTC but he is coming off a, as you mentioned, "major knee injury". I am sure teams would buy into that.

This is why I think Markstrom is the one to go. The know exactly what the Miller/Lack tandem is capable of. The only other move I see happening is Lack going and that is ONLY if they think that Markstrom can be that guy moving forward AND if they can get a good enough return for Lack.

Just because Carolina and Arizona have bigger issues that goaltending doesnt mean they dont want to upgrade goaltending, that logic makes zero sense. Arizona needs goaltending cause they NEED to win games. They have terrible attendance from a fan base that is nearly non existent, they can afford to willingly lose games right now. They need to do everything they can to win or they are finished, which I'm sure they dont want.

Lehtonen never played great. He had one good season like 3 years ago but other than that has been on the wrong side of mediocre from the jump. Dallas 100% will be looking for better goaltending.

Halak is notiously inconsistent, didn't play that great overall, and didnt have good stats. I watched quite a few Islanders games this season and I really, really wouldnt want to be stuck going with for the foreseeable future.

Yes, they are all under contract, contracts can be moved though????? Most of them have cap room anyways, and Lack is cheap. It's super confusing why you keep bringing that up as something that would kill the deal.

Awesome, Ward bounced back from being completely awful to being underaverage. They have no idea what he will be like next year. When a player is terrible for 3-4 years then has one OKish season, that doesnt mean they are all of a sudden back to the top of their game, if anything it suggests the good season was probably an outlier. Especially at Wards age.

Yes the knee injury hurts Millers stock, no doubt.

If I am Miller and Higgins I am looking at Van's future during what time they have left in their careers. True enough Buffalo will not

contend for a CUP during that time. I through the idea out since both have spent considerable time in their lives in New York state.

It might appeal to wind up their careers there. Probably a stretch but this is summer speculation time. No?

I don't know why they would prefer Buff's future over Van's.

Anyways...Miller only wants to be with a team on the west coast as his wife Noureen DeWolf is an actress and lives in LA. Higgins has said he hated his time in NY due to the stress and family distractions. I really doubt either of them want to be on the east coast.

Whatever their LNTCs are, you'll have to narrow down the search for a team that they will go to/or wants them. That's why it's limited.

But yeah, I would love to see the Nucks get some more picks for this years' draft. Or prospects would be great too.

Can we trade for Nathan MacKinnon please before I end up selling his reebok jersey now that I'm moving and need every square millimeter of space (ok so I'm dreaming, we'd never get him so may as well sell it). :(

Wait till the end of Miller's contract before we decide to trade any goalie. Miller-Lack are a fantastic tandem in which either of them could really be our starter next season, but I'd personally still like to see Miller get 50, Lack with 30 unless there's injuries in net. The following season, in Miller's contract year, I'd like a more even 40-40 split and decide their future then, but as far as I'm concerned you cannot judge a goaltender's worth when he's playing behind such a rubbish defence.

They're both great goalies and we'd find out how good they are first hand if we trade say Lack away to a team with a half-decent defence.

Archived