The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning could look at trading Eddie Lack - Article

I'd rather trade Miller for whatever we can get. A 7th round pick would be fine by me to drop that contract. Re-sign Markstrom and give him the permanent back-up spot. We can spend the extra 5 mil that will save us on a quality defenceman.

Sounds good to me bro.

Given his $6m cap, NTC, age and the current goalie market... I doubt we get much better than a 2nd for him. But personally I take that and the cap space and run if we can :lol:

You are probably right. My question is whether Benning is working on a multi player deal which Miller

would be part of. Without doubt IMHO the biggest Van need is work on their d-core. Benning has to

acquire a top 4 dman. Miller goes and the CAP is spent there.

Just imagine what Lack could do with a better d-core performance.

You are probably right. My question is whether Benning is working on a multi player deal which Miller

would be part of. Without doubt IMHO the biggest Van need is work on their d-core. Benning has to

acquire a top 4 dman. Miller goes and the CAP is spent there.

Just imagine what Lack could do with a better d-core performance.

Absolutely! I was calling for that last year and I`m calling for it again this year. Lack + Miller's cap spent on D >>>> Miller + Lack's cap spent on D.

goodbye eddie and thanks for everything. Lacks contract and no ntc makes him the easy choice to move plus we have two goaltenders in the farm that are younger and can fill the role he's had as good or better.

Miller was signed by benning, he's bennings guy, his contract is expensive and he has a ntc if the nucks want to move miller they will have one or two teams he's willing to go to and the they will undoubtedly have to take a bad contract or retain salary and the return player pick would be meager kinda like the louie deal. so the cap savings is really just a dream.

Waiving him would still leave ~$5.1m on our cap...so not really much help. We'd be better of retaining $1-$2m.

Not if someone claimed him. If no takers then just use him for the rest of his contract in a tandem with Lack. No excuse to be retaining any kind of salary.

Lacks value is a pick between 20-35.

I had to look into this with more depth, to see how far value was between cory and Lack.

Cory Schneider was dealt at the age of 27 to the New Jersey Devils for the 9th overall pick (Horvat). Unconfirmed rumour was Oilers were offering up their 6th overall but Gillis didn’t want to trade within division. Canucks were also handcuffed with cap going down and an unmovable Luongo contract which also hurt the value of moving Cory. At the time this draft was said to be the deepest draft since 2003.

At the time Cory was dealt his Pro stats were.

Cory Schneider

AHL level

GP 136

Shutouts 12

GAA 2.25

S% .919

NHL level

GP 98

Shutouts 9

GAA 2.01

S% .927

Eddie Lack is currently 27. Now his numbers are not on par as to Schneider’s but they really aren’t too far off. Consider the strengths of the teams (2 president trophy winners vs 6th worst and bubble team). Consider the pressure of the games, Lack did this for that majority of his time as the number 1 (Luongo was dealt, Miller was hurt).

Up to date, here are Eddie Lacks Pro stats.

Eddie Lack

AHL level

GP 112

Shutouts 10

GAA 2.32

S% .919

NHL level

GP 82

Shutouts 6

GAA 2.29

S% .917

Now I’m not saying Lack alone can get you the 9th overall pick, but if Cory can get you a 9th overall, with potential to be higher (minus cap going down, inter division trading, and Luongo handcuffing us). The there is no reason why Lack wont garner a late first.

Not if someone claimed him. If no takers then just use him for the rest of his contract in a tandem with Lack. No excuse to be retaining any kind of salary.

Then we would just trade Markstrom...

I don't really know where you're going with this... :unsure:

I'd rather keep both Miller and Lack for next season

Unless we can get a good return for one of them. I highly doubt we would for Miller.

I only think we should move Lack if we're able to get a good return.

If we could do something like Lack + our 1st for SJS's 9th pick I think that would be worth it. Might need to throw in a young D like Stanton/Corrado.

We could also trade Markstrom for like a 3rd and keep the solid tandem we currently have. We'd probably have to draft another G within the next few years again.

Then we would just trade Markstrom...

I don't really know where you're going with this... :unsure:

I'd prefer to trade Markstrom to begin with. Where I'm going with this is that retaining salary in a Miller trade is the absolute worst thing Benning could do here if he wants to move Miller.

I'd rather keep both Miller and Lack for next season

Unless we can get a good return for one of them. I highly doubt we would for Miller.

I only think we should move Lack if we're able to get a good return.

If we could do something like Lack + our 1st for SJS's 9th pick I think that would be worth it.

We could also trade Markstrom for like a 3rd and keep the solid tandem we currently have. We'd probably have to draft another G within the next few years again.

I'd prefer to trade Markstrom to begin with. Where I'm going with this is that retaining salary in a Miller trade is the absolute worst thing Benning could do here if he wants to move Miller.

Markstrom's current value is negligible at the moment but stands to increase drastically in the next few years. You simply don't sell low.

We either move Miller and get cap space to improve the team or we move Lack and get assets to improve the team. Moving Markstrom (short of Benning seeing something that he thinks Markstrom's not ever going to be an NHL goalie) is a non-starter IMO.

Markstrom's current value is negligible at the moment but stands to increase drastically in the next few years. You simply don't sell low.

We either move Miller and get cap space to improve the team or we move Lack and get assets to improve the team. Moving Markstrom (short of Benning seeing something that he thinks Markstrom's not ever going to be an NHL goalie) is a non-starter IMO.

The only team that really could use a goalie is SJS.

Miller is not any bigger of an upgrade over Niemi who is younger and that SJS can re-sign.

In terms of age combinded with skill and contract Lack>Niemi=Miller

If I am SJS I sign Niemi rather than trade for Miller. Lack on the other hand could catch their attention.

I don't think Markstrom's going to be an NHLer. Therefore, any goalie trade would have to be combined with signing a legit backup, eating into some of the savings. If you start retaining salary and committing cap suicide, there's no savings left. Trading Lack presents a similar problem as you will then have to go and find a backup AND a stopgap solution while waiting for Demko to be ready.

I don't think Markstrom's going to be an NHLer. Therefore, any goalie trade would have to be combined with signing a legit backup, eating into some of the savings. If you start retaining salary and committing cap suicide, there's no savings left. Trading Lack presents a similar problem as you will then have to go and find a backup AND a stopgap solution while waiting for Demko to be ready.

If Lack gets traded then it is probably a guarantee that Markstrom would backup Miller.

Hope we can get a good return for him. Not sure who would give us one.

Here's some ideas...

Eddie and Hunter to Florida for Jimmy hayes and Dylan Olsen

Miller Sbisa for Burns

Miller for big Joe

Eddie and Sven for hertl

Eddie + Sven for girgensons

Eddie + Sven for yakupov

Eddie to Blues for something... Iono what

Don't see any other fits team to team wise.

The only team that really could use a goalie is SJS.

Miller is not any bigger of an upgrade over Niemi who is younger and that SJS can re-sign.

In terms of age combinded with skill and contract Lack>Niemi=Miller

If I am SJS I sign Niemi rather than trade for Miller. Lack on the other hand could catch their attention.

Edmonton, Winnipeg, Buffalo, Toronto, Arizona and Carolina could all be argued to need a goalie upgrade as well.

Lacks value is a pick between 20-35.

I had to look into this with more depth, to see how far value was between cory and Lack.

Cory Schneider was dealt at the age of 27 to the New Jersey Devils for the 9th overall pick (Horvat). Unconfirmed rumour was Oilers were offering up their 6th overall but Gillis didn’t want to trade within division. Canucks were also handcuffed with cap going down and an unmovable Luongo contract which also hurt the value of moving Cory. At the time this draft was said to be the deepest draft since 2003.

At the time Cory was dealt his Pro stats were.

Cory Schneider

AHL level

GP 136

Shutouts 12

GAA 2.25

S% .919

NHL level

GP 98

Shutouts 9

GAA 2.01

S% .927

Eddie Lack is currently 27. Now his numbers are not on par as to Schneider’s but they really aren’t too far off. Consider the strengths of the teams (2 president trophy winners vs 6th worst and bubble team). Consider the pressure of the games, Lack did this for that majority of his time as the number 1 (Luongo was dealt, Miller was hurt).

Up to date, here are Eddie Lacks Pro stats.

Eddie Lack

AHL level

GP 112

Shutouts 10

GAA 2.32

S% .919

NHL level

GP 82

Shutouts 6

GAA 2.29

S% .917

Now I’m not saying Lack alone can get you the 9th overall pick, but if Cory can get you a 9th overall, with potential to be higher (minus cap going down, inter division trading, and Luongo handcuffing us). The there is no reason why Lack wont garner a late first.

I've looked at those self same stats and bandied about what the return could be, but with so many teams who need that goaltender being stuck in cap hell right now I just don't see what we could viably get for Lack without that good contract like Schneider had

Archived