The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[OFFICIAL] Mike Babcock chooses the Toronto Maple Leafs

Honestly, Mike Babcock only comes available once a decade. When this happens you wanna go all in.

I don't like the leafs, I don't like Shanahan, but he does seem determined to change the organization and I admire that I guess.

Red Wings are my second favorite team behind the Canucks. I think that Babcock is a terrific coach, but I wouldn't anoint him as the best coach in the league. He's up there among the elite.

If he coached the Canucks many here would chafe at his defensive style and he would definitely feel the underside of the bus after the team got eliminated in the playoffs each year.

He won his cup in 2008, when Datsyuk and Zetterburg were at the top of their game and Nicklas Lidstrom and Brian Rafalski were putting up great numbers from the blue line Dominik Hasek and Chris Osgood shared the net. Not to mention Johan Franzen scoring 18 points in the playoffs as a second line centre and Niklas Kronwall scoring 15 points as a second pairing defenseman.

So yes, Mike Babcock is capable of winning with future HOF players in the lineup and a solid supporting cast filling out the roster.

Let's face it, winning the chalice involves a combination of skill, hot goaltending, luck ( Anaheims's four posts against Chicago last night say hello,)and lack of injury. I wish Babcock all the best in TO, but since he can't lace up the skates - he's going to have a lot of long nights until the Laffs can change their roster enough to suit the style that Babcock wants to employ.

Meanwhile, let's enjoy watching the Loaf's hype machine going into overdrive.

Peaches......point is, the Leafs will have yet another lame duck GM

No need to get offensive

Trevor Linden was already looking at coaches before a GM had been decided on it. Linden brought in someone who shared his vision and that's exactly what Shanahan will do. Had Babcock been available last year I am sure Trevor Linden would have interviewed him and if he needed to hire him before he hired JB he would have.

I don't understand you people saying that he makes too much money.

1) Most coaches make less money than fourth line players. Who is more important to a team, Aaron Volpatti or Mike Babcock?

2) The Maple Leafs have an infinite amount of money. The only thing stopping them from spending $150 million a year on salaries is the Cap. They have all the money in the world, why not spend a few millions on the best coach in the NHL?

Babcock will be huge for Leafs but it's gonna take a while before they compete. When a team is built around Kessel and Phaneuf your in big trouble. I'll give it 3 years before the Laffs make the playoffs.

3 years before they make the playoffs, twice that to be legit contenders. I don't believe coaching was ever really a problem for Toronto, GM was. They can continue to blame coaches but eventually you got to ask yourself, is this team good enough? We should be asking ourselves the same thing to be honest.

Gotta love TSN hockey section these days. Last night after the amazingly entertaining game three 11 goal OT thriller, TSN's three of four top stories were about Toronto and Babcock. And right now it's 5 of their top 8 stories! One of them is about a Toronto-Buffalo rivalry reignited!!! This can't be made up you gotta check out their app or website now! :lol:

Babcock called Toronto Maple Leafs, 'Canada's Team'.

In all Honestly, if you were to survey all of Canada on favourite teams the Leafs would win in a landslide.

The Leafs have the most loyal of fans, we couldn't even sell out game 5 of the playoffs, or a winter classic. Do you think that would happen in Toronto?

They are absolutely Canada's team, they beat out Montreal because of the French.

Winning a Stanley cup in Toronto would be a really big deal.

Archived