The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] A few Teams might look throwing Dougie Hamilton Offer Sheet

Ridiculous scenario

Edmonton makes a trade into the top 5 and drafts Hanifin or Prorov to go with McDavid. Edmonton then offer sheets Hamilton at $5.75 million AAV 5 year term. Edmonton then signs McQuaid to a 4 million deal. Brings Nurse Draisatl and Musil into the line up

What does Edmontons year look like???

If I'm Benning, I offer $7.305

Imo, Dougie is worth a 1st/2nd/3rd

The kid is still 21 and will eventually get that money soon enough.

its not like where the best in league... so why wouldn't it be worth it to us?

Probably because those other teams he mentioned are currently a little better set up for the future and the loss of draft picks wouldnt have as big of an effect on them at this stage.

If I'm Benning, I offer $7.305

Imo, Dougie is worth a 1st/2nd/3rd

The kid is still 21 and will eventually get that money soon enough.

If I'm Benning, I keep my 1st, 2nd and 3rd since I absolutely love drafting young talent to develop, wait for another team to offer sheet Hamilton, let Boston match and get into salary cap trouble and have to unload, then gun for Lucic at buyer's market.

LUCIC - HORVAT - KASSIAN

If the Bruins get in cap issues maybe we get Lucic a year earlier!

8 mil x 10 years

If they match I win, if they don't I win. Canucks are going to be picking 15-25 anyway. Just go for the throat. Offers of 5 or 6 or even seven mil will not get it done. Bet big or go home.

Trade Hamhuis and Bieksa for highest picks offered.

ohhh how the defense would change....

Edit; He's going to be a franchise denfenseman. Might as well start paying him like one a few years early.

That is... let's just... I'm glad you're not the GM.

If I'm Benning, I keep my 1st, 2nd and 3rd since I absolutely love drafting young talent to develop, wait for another team to offer sheet Hamilton, let Boston match and get into salary cap trouble and have to unload, then gun for Lucic at buyer's market.

LUCIC - HORVAT - KASSIAN

If they want to offload Lucic it won't be a buyer's market. There would be a bidding war on him and we'd have to severely overpay for one guaranteed year of his services. If you want him so bad just wait that one year and try to grab him via free agency.

Horvat would be burnt out half way through the season covering up the d screwups for Yakupov.

On a more balance team like the Canucks, Yakupov would become the star player that he truly is capable of being.

Ridiculous scenario

Edmonton makes a trade into the top 5 and drafts Hanifin or Prorov to go with McDavid. Edmonton then offer sheets Hamilton at $5.75 million AAV 5 year term. Edmonton then signs McQuaid to a 4 million deal. Brings Nurse Draisatl and Musil into the line up

Bottom 5 with that goaltending.

On a more balance team like the Canucks, Yakupov would become the star player that he truly is capable of being.

Bure style. If he wants to. And I think he does but he's stuck in the toxic Edmonton system.

And the Canucks have the knowledge to build such a player's confidence right back.

Be hilarious if the oilers screwed up the numbers and accidentally coughed up mcdavid in compensation haha

I'm not sure Hamilton would sign an offer sheet worth less than $3.6M (or that the Bruins wouldn't match at that level) so your starting point for compensation is a 1st and a 3rd. That rules out teams with very high 1st round picks this year (like the Oilers) and also us, since we don't have our 3rd (or our 2nd, needed for higher compensation).

After the draft, if he's still unsigned then maybe we see some teams go after him but people were saying this last summer and nothing ever happened. So few offer sheets have ever worked that I have doubts anyone will even bother.

You actually think Desjardins would cut Yakupov a break for his complete disregard for playing defense? face it the guy is 2 steps away from the big bust hole in the sky.

I'm not sure Hamilton would sign an offer sheet worth less than $3.6M (or that the Bruins wouldn't match at that level) so your starting point for compensation is a 1st and a 3rd. That rules out teams with very high 1st round picks this year (like the Oilers) and also us, since we don't have our 3rd (or our 2nd, needed for higher compensation).

After the draft, if he's still unsigned then maybe we see some teams go after him but people were saying this last summer and nothing ever happened. So few offer sheets have ever worked that I have doubts anyone will even bother.

It wouldn't matter anyway since an offer sheet could only involve 2016 & 17 picks, not 2015s.

It's expected that both philly (pronger) and Bos (savard) trade away some of their injured players to teams looking to hit the cap floor. They have until the start of the season to be under the cap so they have lots of time to figure out space

Savard is getting paid minimum salary the next two years (the last on his deal). He'll retire before getting traded. His cap was already going to LTI to help the Bruins anyway so trading his cap hit is not a fix for them.

Pronger is different because he's on a 35+ contract so he won't retire and hurt the Flyers cap unless he's forced too. He should be, especially if he continues working in a role with the NHL signifying his career is done, and then they'd be in a world of hurt cap-wise and very open to poaching by other teams.

But any trading of either player for this purpose would have to be viewed as circumvention and very, very risky to Boston and Philly to try. I can't imagine all the other 28 GMs would stay silent if Philly or Boston made a trade with Arizona to sell/buy cap space.

It wouldn't matter anyway since an offer sheet could only involve 2016 & 17 picks, not 2015s.

The first part was saying those teams would be ruled out for offer sheets prior to the draft this year. Of course, if there's no window for offer sheets at that point it becomes moot, but it serves as a reminder to why some of the teams people are suggesting wouldn't even try an offer sheet.

The first part was saying those teams would be ruled out for offer sheets prior to the draft this year. Of course, if there's no window for offer sheets at that point it becomes moot, but it serves as a reminder to why some of the teams people are suggesting wouldn't even try an offer sheet.

You couldn't have an offer sheet prior to the draft this year, which is my point. All teams are ruled out.

His current contract does not expire until June 30, 2015.

Ridiculous scenario

Waaaaay over the cap.

You're bringing in...

Hamilton @ 5.75 (which, naturally, is not enough to stop Bos from matching)

McD @ 3.75

Hanifin/Provorov @ around 3.5

Nurse @ 1.7

Draisaitl @ 3.4

McQuaid @ 4.0

Musil @ 0.9

That's adding about $23 mil to their current payroll of 51.3 and they still wouldn't have a complete lineup with out a 2nd goalie.

They couldn't even justify tolling the bonuses because they'd get doubly stung the year after.

Would have to say playoff contender at least. Like...

Hall - RNH - Eberle

Pouliot - McDavid - Yakupov

_____ - Draisaitl - Purcell

Gazdic - Gordon - Fraser

Nurse - Hamilton

Hanifin/Provorov - Schultz

Ference - McQuaid

_____

Scrivens

They'd still need a goalie and a bottom six forward, but they'd be one scary team next year if they managed to pull that off.

That's not realistic, they keep their top-6 intact, keep the 1st overall, keep Leon/ Nurse/ Schultz/ Ference and STILL manage to move up to get Noah/ Provorov? No way they could get that stacked without giving some assets up.

Some mixture of the Pittsburgh 1st, their second, rights to Marincin and Leon could cut it, but the cost to move up so much should be sky-high.

Ridiculous scenario

c1b72e20-e62a-11e4-ac05-7b12ae10444b_CC6

Archived