The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Cody Hodgson Could Be Bought Out

So who takes care of the defensive side of that line or what would your lineups be?

He's actually in Sweeden right now playing, working more on his defensive game just fyi.

But alright.

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Hodgson Bonino Vrbata

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen

Kassian Matthias Dorsett

Kenins/Vey

I don't have a problem parting ways with Hansen and Higgins, the more I look at this I like these lines a lot, thx.

He's actually in Sweeden right now playing, working more on his defensive game just fyi.

But alright.

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Hodgson Bonino Vrbata

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen

Kassian Matthias Dorsett

Kenins/Vey

I don't have a problem parting ways with Hansen and Higgins, the more I look at this I like these lines a lot, thx.

Why would he be placed in the top six, make him work for his dinner like everybody else.

Murray wouldn't have told Hodgson this if he was intending to trade him. This is a scare tactic on Murray's part.

Murray obviously can't trade 13 points and -28 with a 4.25 million cap hit attached to it.

It's not much of a scare tactic. Why would Hodgson be scared? It's an opportunity to collect his buyout, get another paycheque and get outta Buffalo.

You're completely misrepresenting what I said. If it's a matter of who won between Buffalo and Vancouver, the answer is obvious, as I clearly stated. The question is why we have to look at the trade in a competitive/head to head scope. Who cares if Buffalo lost the trade? Does that effect us? Does our benefiting from the trade, hinge on their losing it?

If we accept that Hodgson forced the Canucks' hand and essentially demanded out, we have to look to the value of Hodgson as it was in March 2012, which I think most would accept was pretty high. At this point it's irrelevant how Hodgson turned out afterwards.

We weren't limited in our trading partners, and could transfer his value wherever we wished, to whomever we felt gave us a best return on investment. In that sense we spent high on Kassian, setting expectations in our return for Hodgson.

Since then, Kassian has not lived up to those expectations, and my argument hinges around how we could have gotten a far more useful asset today than him. You could argue that his value as an asset remains on similar grounds to when we received him, but I'd argue it's not, for what I feel are obvious reasons.

He's still on our team, good enough for the lineup, and still has the potential to get better, but I think most would accept we could have done far better by getting someone or something else in exchange for Hodgson at the time of the trade.

He gets what I mean.

So we "lost" the trade because we, in your eyes, could have got better value? :rolleyes:

Why would he be placed in the top six, make him work for his dinner like everybody else.

Why are you quoting me you make no sense? I suggested Hodgson playing with Vrbata and you asked who would play Defense and you wanted my lines, and now you say how can he be in the top 6? Do you not see it??

Murray obviously can't trade 13 points and -28 with a 4.25 million cap hit attached to it.

It's not much of a scare tactic. Why would Hodgson be scared? It's an opportunity to collect his buyout, get another paycheque and get outta Buffalo.

As I said earlier, I do believe it is a shot across the bow.

It's a warning to him to step up NOW!

He could always be bought out next year so this is a warning that this could he his last shot.

As I said earlier, I do believe it is a shot across the bow.

It's a warning to him to step up NOW!

He could always be bought out next year so this is a warning that this could he his last shot.

If they buy him out next year it costs them 2/3 instead of 1/3. He will be 26 in February.

I don't see it as a bluff - I think it's a distinct possibility.

One of many guys who couldn't transition to the NHL. Lots of kids have it easy being a superstar without a ton of effort in minors and juniors, but can't change their headspace when they are put in a situation where every player is as good or better than they are.... but are also working their butts off.

I would imagine he will want to sign with Toronto, but I don't know that Toronto would want to have anything to do with a player that couldn't crack the Buffalo lineup... even on a low cap hit deal. If you are trading away high level players like Kessel for lack of intensity and work effort, you don't want to bring in a much crappier version of that to infect your new young guys.

I guess this trade is pretty much a wash then. Me thinks next season might be Kassians last year to prove himself. Neither player played well after this trade. It's a loss for both parties. Though we wont have to pay for a buyout, so I guess we lost a little less. But I don't see either of these guys on their teams after next season. Hodgson's gonna get bought out, and I'm certain Kassian's gonna be traded.

Because his buyout is crap money compared to what the rest of his contract is worth. Hodgson stands to lose 8 figures if he is bought out. That is enough of a scare tactic.

Murray not being able to trade him is just another reason to keep him at least one more season.

One player in this deal is earning 1.9 million, scoring at a 32 point per 82 game pace the last two seasons, has solid puck possession numbers, stands up for his team-mates and provides deterrence that has notably benefited the Sedins - and was rumoured to have teams calling for his services (Boston fairly publicly) - while Benning elected to retain him because the rumoured returns were not sufficient.

The other player can't be moved, scored 13 points last year for 4.25 million cap hit (with years of term left at that price), was -28 (worst among Buffalo forwards) - is one of the primary buyout candidates in the NHL - and some folks here perceive this trade to be a "wash".

One player in this deal is earning 1.9 million, scoring at a 32 point per 82 game pace the last two seasons, has solid puck possession numbers, stands up for his team-mates and provides deterrence that has notably benefited the Sedins - and was rumoured to have teams calling for his services (Boston fairly publicly) - while Benning elected to retain him because the rumoured returns were not sufficient.

The other player can't be moved, scored 13 points last year for 4.25 million cap hit (with years of term left at that price), was -28 (worst among Buffalo forwards) - is one of the primary buyout candidates in the NHL - and some folks here perceive this trade to be a "wash".

My view is this; even if both of them fail, Zack fails at less than $2 mill/season on a short term contract. Cody is on a long term $4.25 mill/season contract. The only way that the Sabres "win" is if Zack gets traded because of poor play and Cody starts playing the way he did 2 seasons ago. Any other results = Canucks win the trade.

If Nolan had an ounch of a clue in his skull hed have put hodgson with a couple of strong forecheckers who could grind the puck out of the corners and get it to the playmaker and sniper.

Hodgson is awesome if his negetives are made up by other players positives and he has more upside than downside. Buffalo tanked last season. Go figure he sucked. We all call him a bust because he had a terrible year on a team that obviously tanked? Do you all know how blindly retardedly stupid that sounds? Youre probably the same dimwitts who post in the sabres related threads about how lame they are for tanking. Then you go in the Hodgson thread and say how bad he was and how hes a bust.

This is bs and if it is actually true, Buffalo is dumb. Another team with a gm and coach who knows how to utilize talent will capitalize on him.

Because his buyout is crap money compared to what the rest of his contract is worth. Hodgson stands to lose 8 figures if he is bought out. That is enough of a scare tactic.

Murray not being able to trade him is just another reason to keep him at least one more season.

That's oversimplified imo.

Keeping him another season puts his buyout into the 26 year old tier - which will cost Buffalo twice what it will at this point.

Hodgon stands to take that one third and sign somewhere else. He'd need to earn in the range of 2.8 million to break even.

If they buy him out next year it costs them 2/3 instead of 1/3. He will be 26 in February.

I don't see it as a bluff - I think it's a distinct possibility.

That's a good point but the cap ceiling is not a thought over the next few years. By using up another full season they cut two years from the penalty to 6 and they get a chance to reclamate him.

Archived