The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Cody Hodgson Could Be Bought Out

Irrespective of contracts I could understand, though not necessarily agree with, that.

Except CoHo is being paid like a 2nd liner for 4 more years and Vey is paid like a 4th liner for next year at least.

Ya with the contracts obviously not, contracts aside I would rather have Hodgson, he's the better player at the moment with higher potential that is still partially attainable IMO.

Vey is just kind of a depth player, he's young & has potential, but I have more confidence that Hodgson could be a top 6 player than Vey.

those of you who want Hodgson back need to give your head a shake. Yes, he has talent, but his attitude is garbage. This has been the case through both teams he played for. How do you think bringing in a guy like Hodgson will affect quite possibly our #1 center prospect at the moment, Bo Horvat?

We're all talking about Bo moving up the depth chart next year and possible into a third line center role, well what do you think happens when Cody shows up? He demands a spot on the second line (wouldn't even be surprised if it ends up being the first he demands), and pushes everyone else down. Willie doesn't give him what he wants? Cody pouts to his dad and the media and demands a trade out of Van.

We don't need his crap attitude around anyone on this team, and Benning is too smart not to realize that.

Cody is a skilled player, he has great hands, and does have great vision on the ice. He is someone who can set up goal scorers, and that's what he needs is someone who is a shooter and can score goals and Cody will find them. Him and Vanek worked very well together, but after they got ride of their only goal scorer Vanek, Cody and his numbers fell off. Then this year his team was told to fail, so I don't really understand what Buffalo was thinking when they wanted every player to crap the bed to come in last place, what do you expect who really wants to play or perform for a team like that?

Anyways I would welcome Cody back here, because I saw what he is capable of doing, and know he can do it if paired with the right type of player, and that player in my mind is Vrbata. Vrbata who is a shooter and a goal scorer, who is always very smart on the ice and knows where to be to score, and Cody is the type of guy who would find him a lot, I think it would be a good fit.

Trading a guy who looks like he might get bought out for a 3rd liner, and we lost the trade? How do you figure that? Just because people have unrealistic expectations for Kassian doesn't mean he's a bad player. He's a 3rd liner that chucks his body and drops the mitts. Better than a playmaking centre that can't crack the top 6 of the worst team in the league last year. People need to stop giving Kass a hard time, he's a good player.

You're completely misrepresenting what I said. If it's a matter of who won between Buffalo and Vancouver, the answer is obvious, as I clearly stated. The question is why we have to look at the trade in a competitive/head to head scope. Who cares if Buffalo lost the trade? Does that effect us? Does our benefiting from the trade, hinge on their losing it?

If we accept that Hodgson forced the Canucks' hand and essentially demanded out, we have to look to the value of Hodgson as it was in March 2012, which I think most would accept was pretty high. At this point it's irrelevant how Hodgson turned out afterwards.

We weren't limited in our trading partners, and could transfer his value wherever we wished, to whomever we felt gave us a best return on investment. In that sense we spent high on Kassian, setting expectations in our return for Hodgson.

Since then, Kassian has not lived up to those expectations, and my argument hinges around how we could have gotten a far more useful asset today than him. You could argue that his value as an asset remains on similar grounds to when we received him, but I'd argue it's not, for what I feel are obvious reasons.

He's still on our team, good enough for the lineup, and still has the potential to get better, but I think most would accept we could have done far better by getting someone or something else in exchange for Hodgson at the time of the trade.

I think your argument is that Canucks lost the trade because they could have gotten better value for Hodgson (true). Others are simply arguing that the trade worked out better for the Canucks than it did for Buffalo (also true). In a sense, Canucks beat Buffalo in the trade, but lost to themselves.

He gets what I mean.

those of you who want Hodgson back need to give your head a shake. Yes, he has talent, but his attitude is garbage. This has been the case through both teams he played for. How do you think bringing in a guy like Hodgson will affect quite possibly our #1 center prospect at the moment, Bo Horvat?

We're all talking about Bo moving up the depth chart next year and possible into a third line center role, well what do you think happens when Cody shows up? He demands a spot on the second line (wouldn't even be surprised if it ends up being the first he demands), and pushes everyone else down. Willie doesn't give him what he wants? Cody pouts to his dad and the media and demands a trade out of Van.

We don't need his crap attitude around anyone on this team, and Benning is too smart not to realize that.

I think you are wrong about this. First of all no way would he be placed ahead of Bo on the depth chart, management and coaches wouldn't do that. Second being bought out could be a very humbling experience for him and bring about a change in attitude and work ethic. As others have said on here if we could sign on a cheap contract I would be open to it. give him sheltered minutes with better players than he was with un buffalo and he might turn things around.

Cody is a skilled player, he has great hands, and does have great vision on the ice. He is someone who can set up goal scorers, and that's what he needs is someone who is a shooter and can score goals and Cody will find them. Him and Vanek worked very well together, but after they got ride of their only goal scorer Vanek, Cody and his numbers fell off. Then this year his team was told to fail, so I don't really understand what Buffalo was thinking when they wanted every player to crap the bed to come in last place, what do you expect who really wants to play or perform for a team like that?

Anyways I would welcome Cody back here, because I saw what he is capable of doing, and know he can do it if paired with the right type of player, and that player in my mind is Vrbata. Vrbata who is a shooter and a goal scorer, who is always very smart on the ice and knows where to be to score, and Cody is the type of guy who would find him a lot, I think it would be a good fit.

So who takes care of the defensive side of that line or what would your lineups be?

Id rather have Hodgson than Vey in all honesty. Hes got skill & offensive tools, just lost focus on development with the opportunity that was available for him in Buffalo, he was coming along nicely before we traded him.

I disagree. Vey actually works - you can glimpse him engaging in puck battles, playing responsible hockey inside his own blue line - doesn't have that vacant, perpetually floating element to his game. I'd take him anyday over the aloof one.

Wow. As biased as people can be, I don't think anyone thought that this trade was going to be this close. At this point, it's looking like we may have won, which is shocking to me. Hopefully, Kassian picks it up and it becomes a landslide trade.

Wow. As biased as people can be, I don't think anyone thought that this trade was going to be this close. At this point, it's looking like we may have won, which is shocking to me. Hopefully, Kassian picks it up and it becomes a landslide trade.

He's poised to do just that. Hope his back is better, haven't heard a single thing about him for a month or two.

Archived