The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

Everyone shut up about Kylington.

We want big character guys, not soft guys with attitude problems. We want someone who wants to win and will do what it takes to win. Boeser is that guy, he fits are team build perfectly.

I have a feeling a few fans on this site really want to win and have good "character". Yet, they can barely skate should Benning sign them? The point is skill is what matters the most plain and simple. You can't teach it at the point of the draft, you can fine tune it. Character can be developed through culture. To tell you the truth Virtanen doesn't scream character to me, neither does Lucic who Benning went hard after, not to mention Benning seems to want to move out a couple of our players with a lot of character -- Bieksa and Lack.

When a prospect pool is lacking high end talent you swing for the fences, especially with a guy like Kylington or even Roy on the board (also a few quality CHL forwards).

• Upvote 1

What I really like in Boeser is his size. In recent years, the Canucks have really been thrown around by the size of teams around them like Boston, LA, and Anaheim. Now, if the Canucks could get a few more like him, they would be able to easily beat those goon teams. Although he is not very physical, it is harder to throw around someone who is tall and fast. Virtanen is our physicality future on the top lines.

I have a feeling a few fans on this site really want to win and have good "character". Yet, they can barely skate should Benning sign them? The point is skill is what matters the most plain and simple. You can't teach it at the point of the draft, you can fine tune it. Character can be developed through culture. To tell you the truth Virtanen doesn't scream character to me, neither does Lucic who Benning went hard after, not to mention Benning seems to want to move out a couple of our players with a lot of character -- Bieksa and Lack.

When a prospect pool is lacking high end talent you swing for the fences, especially with a guy like Kylington or even Roy on the board (also a few quality CHL forwards).

Just because Lucic was willing to waive for vancouver doesn't mean Benning went hard after him, he probably only inquired about him.

Kylington and Roy aren't even that impressive in terms of talent when you compare them to a guy like Boeser.

Benning is trying to create a TEAM here not just a bunch of skilled individuals. So for us to have a team we need players that can play well together, that's why when he makes his picks they are for players that will fit the team build. Hard working, big and strong players.

• Upvote 1

Something I found interesting is if you look in their draft update video they have some rankings in the background with Boeser at 12. Don't want to read too much into as it looks like Nattinen is at 13 but interesting.

2rhodcj.jpg

His acceleration is lacking, intensity is lacking, loses puck battles constantly, and will be in college for years.

Consensus high risk pick with limited upside. Fail.

Well you suck at assessing talent so yay! he'll be great!

• Upvote 1

Just because Lucic was willing to waive for vancouver doesn't mean Benning went hard after him, he probably only inquired about him.

Kylington and Roy aren't even that impressive in terms of talent when you compare them to a guy like Boeser.

Benning is trying to create a TEAM here not just a bunch of skilled individuals. So for us to have a team we need players that can play well together, that's why when he makes his picks they are for players that will fit the team build. Hard working, big and strong players.

If we can land Roy tomorrow. Maybe hArkins or Dunn. I'll feel a little better. He will probably be a great player just really want us to get a young offensive d man. The comparibles for Roy get me excited. Dunn not so much ur he could be good. I want a young d man I can groom in be a GM nhl 16 so I can feel better about our defensive pool. Selfish I know. Sounds like he's a steal at this point in the draft. Look forward to seeing what he can do.

Baertschi McCann Virtanen

Shinkaruk Cassels Boeser

Gaunce Cassels Grenier

That is fantastic top 9 prospect pool. Honestly superb in my opinion. 5 guys with legitimate top 6 potential, and 4 guys with legitimate top 9 potential. And that is not including Horvat, Kenins, and Kassian, who have already solidified spots on the team so far. The future is bright.

Now honestly, if the Canucks could snag 2 good defensmen in the second round, that would be huge. There are still a couple left on the board, but I have a feeling they will go fast. Both Eddie Lack and Kevin Bieksa are worth second round picks in their own right, I hope someone bites. San Jose maybe??

Boeser finished his USHL season on a 6 game point streak where he had...

5 goals and 7 assists, for 12 points. 3 of the 5 goals came in a hat trick performance in a game against Sioux City.

He had two 3-point games, 2-point games, and 1-point game.

He also had 24 shots on goal in those 6 games which, at an average of 4 shots per game, is the same as his average on the season with 241 shots in the 57 games.

Pretty clear that a lot of folks who had no idea who Brock was are complaining, still with no idea of who he is.

The kid walked into the USHL and came first in goal scoring and second in points peer game (behind Connor) as a rookie. If he was in ANY other junior league with that level of performance, you would all be losing your minds.

• Upvote 2

Pretty clear that a lot of folks who had no idea who Brock was are complaining, still with no idea of who he is.

The kid walked into the USHL and came first in goal scoring and second in points peer game (behind Connor) as a rookie. If he was in ANY other junior league with that level of performance, you would all be losing your minds.

I agree that he performed very well in the USHL, but it is difficult to judge players out of the USHL. And I don't think he was a bad pick, I just think there were 2 defenseman and 2-3 forwards who would have been better picks.

That being said, I will be very interested in how he performs at the NCAA level next year. I think that will really clarify the type of player we got.

Did know his shot totals were so good. Shooting percentage of around 14% is high, but not uncommon to see in the best years of a players career.

I like the way he moves in the o zone as well. creating havoc and making people think about where he is all the time. I think he will end up being a Brandon Saad type of player for us honestly.

is no one else concerned that he is a college player? it could be years before we see him in the canucks organization. I like the talent of the kid but if he is dedicated to college which he is for next year then I'm not all that happy. does anyone know his intentions moving forward?

r u new to this whole process? Lol

Every player needs time to develop... Many nhl stars start here...some people

And again desi says something annoying. Lots of crazies in this thread

I think that's pretty much to be expected. Most of the hype when people start thinking about the draft goes into CHL guys. You don't see people bringing up USHL players very often.

Something I found interesting is if you look in their draft update video they have some rankings in the background with Boeser at 12. Don't want to read too much into as it looks like Nattinen is at 13 but interesting.

2rhodcj.jpg

Interesting... where is this?

Edited by Grape