The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

His shot and release are pretty dam impressive. HE seems to really understand the flow of play and makes some really nice quick decisions to get into the open slot. Brock is makin waves :D

He's got a shot like Kessel... if he could improve it, wow.

there is some small protection in place for 1st round NCAA players if you make a concerted attempt to sign them and they refuse you get a 2nd round compensation pick where the player was taken.

I am extremely worried about this, I mentioned this from day 1, about drafting college players, recently this has been happening more and more.

If we trust Benning's judgement of character, I doubt Boeser fits into the Justin Schultz and co. category.

Team 1040 (Price and Sekeres I think) talked about how they walked into some Mexican restaurant the night after the draft... was like 12 in the morning and Boeser was there with his family, wearing his jersey still.

I don't think we need to worry.

• Upvote 4

I am extremely worried about this, I mentioned this from day 1, about drafting college players, recently this has been happening more and more.

This is certainly an issue for college players and applies to Demko as well as Boesser.

However, it is less likely be a concern for really good players. At the rate Boesser is progressing it looks possible that he might be ready to play in the NHL as early as 2016-17. Playing in the NHL in the draft+2 year is common for top 10 draft picks. It is much less common for everyone else but still a few guys in the lower part of the first round usually make.

If Boesser can play in the NHL instead of going into his second year of college that gives him three years of making close to a million a year in the NHL instead of getting nothing in college. And he is that much closer to making much more money on an RFA contract. That is a pretty strong financial incentive and there is nothing that stops him for continuing to work on his college degree on a part-time basis.

Even if he has to wait until the draft+3 year, there is still a strong financial incentive to sign if he is good enough to play in the NHL If he is over 20 he can sign and play in the AHL but obviously the money is a lot less on the standard two-way contract..

But a guy who stays in college for all 4 years becomes a free agent just a couple of month after this class graduates. The incentive to sign is not so strong at that point.

I hope the Canucks get Demko to turn pro after the 2015-16 college season is over. He can then go to Utica to finish the season and play for Utica in 2016-17. As for Boesser, it would great if he can do a Horvat and play for the Canucks in his draft+2 year.

Ah okay thanks a lot. Interestingly enough, I've never noticed that in previous drafts as I'm sure this has happened before.

I remember being rather confused seeing David Krejci "drafted in the 2nd round, 63rd overall". So it happened in 2004 at least.

I see a little Wayne Gretzky in Boeser along wirh a mix of Nolan Ryan, Michael Jordan, and Dave Mustaine. I csn see why Benning smirked when he said he saw Boeser as a future goal scorer.

I see a little Wayne Gretzky in Boeser along wirh a mix of Nolan Ryan, Michael Jordan, and Dave Mustaine. I csn see why Benning smirked when he said he saw Boeser as a future goal scorer.

Wayne Gretzky, Nolan Ryan, Michael Jordan? That's all? Shouldn't we expect a bit more?

is he coming to sept rookie camp, or no because of the NCAA thing

Isn't it he can go but just can't have the Canucks pay his way? I am assuming you are asking if he will be paying his way and this comment is pointless but I will post it anyway because I took the time to type it out.

I read somewhere that he was not going to attend, as is normal for NCAA players. There are two reasons. First, as noted by N7, NCAA player have to cover their own expenses which are somehow viewed as a equivalent to a "payment" to players that would violate their NCAA amateur status.

But, in addition, the player needs to be in classes. Starting the academic year by missing a couple of weeks is not a good way to start college.

He does look like a very good prospect. Seems like he has played his way on to the U.S. world junior team this year and he might have a shot at making the Canucks in his draft+2 or draft+3 year.