Sbisa

Markstrom

Future Core:

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen
Shinkaruk McCann Boeser
Gaunce Cassels

Hutton 

Demko

The only question mark for me is Baertschi. I wouldn't mind drafting another forward in the 1st Round as a replacement, because we could still find some good defenseman in the 2nd round. It looks like we will be rolling a 1A and 1B as our top 2 lines. This works great for a coach like Willie, who likes to roll 4 lines.

Also, on D you have to throw in Briesbois and Subban. They are looking like solid NHLers. They won't be #1 or #2 defenseman, but they will be good.

• Upvote 1

Is anyone else worried that this kid is gonna "Kevin Hayes" us and not sign a deal until he is a free agent?

Doubt it. 

He will be ready before his 3? years are up and waiting in college would just be blowing 100's of thousands of dollars down the drain just to not sign with us. 

The only question mark for me is Baertschi. I wouldn't mind drafting another forward in the 1st Round as a replacement, because we could still find some good defenseman in the 2nd round. It looks like we will be rolling a 1A and 1B as our top 2 lines. This works great for a coach like Willie, who likes to roll 4 lines.

Also, on D you have to throw in Briesbois and Subban. They are looking like solid NHLers. They won't be #1 or #2 defenseman, but they will be good.

Yeah a top line potential LW player would be great in the upcoming draft.

Boeser will work well with either Horvat or McCann as his centre, but I think the other winger should be Shinaruk. Somone who battles and goes to the net hard for rebounds. 

Shinkaruk Horvat Boeser (Get it Done Line)

Baertschi McCann Virtanen (Speed Line)

Hutton Tanev

Pedan Weber

Tryamkin Subban

shoulda drafted Konency, good canadian kid with speed and plays a similar game to Patrick Kane. 

Konency is too small and doesn't really have much offensive upside. If we were to have drafted a smaller player I would have picked Beauvillier. Alas, Benning is highly unlikely to ever pick small skilled players with a first rounder.

Boeser is looking great regardless. His quick release and ability to get off a ton of shots seem to have transferred nicely (so far) to the tougher NCAA league. 

Alas, Benning is highly unlikely to ever pick small skilled players with a first rounder.

He was Head Scout, AGM or GM when he picked 5'10 Alexander Khokhlachev 40th overall, 5'9 Derek Roy 32nd overall, and 5'11 Keith Ballard 11th overall. 

He even traded up to pick 5'9 Marchand.

• Upvote 1

He was Head Scout, AGM or GM when he picked 5'10 Alexander Khokhlachev 40th overall, 5'9 Derek Roy 32nd overall, and 5'11 Keith Ballard 11th overall. 

So he has only picked one guy under 6 feet in the first round? And that was when he was a head scout, so who knows if it was fully his decision. He seems to like size and physicality. 

Edited by baumerman77

You only have to look to the 2015 draft where he selected 5'11" 170 lb Dmitry Zhukenov.

He's definitely not against smaller players. But in the first round I think he's going to look for the best mix of size, skill, and speed.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Upvote 2

i have previously posted my thoughts on this, stating that i like the idea of drafting size and skill for the Canucks and picking 200 ft players who are defensively responsible for the first few years as its important to build a solid foundation. The vets on the Canucks will mostly be gone in the next few years so the team needed to be defensively responsible and hard to play against, then you can add the high end skilled players. Doing it the other way around just won't cut it....the oilers are a prime example.

With the new core for the Canucks being strong two way players I would expect the management to start looking at complimentary defenders and some high end skill guys in the next few drafts.

Its quite sensible drafting for a long term goal and i for one am happy to watch it all unfold

• Upvote 1

It seems to me that we are picking lower ceiling but higher floor bigger players in the earlier rounds and then picking higher ceiling but lower floor players in the later rounds. Obviously this is in comparison to the players picked near them.

• Upvote 1

GRAND FORKS, N.D. – University of North Dakota freshman forward Brock Boeser and junior goaltender Matt Hrynkiw have both been recognized by the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) for their outstanding play in North Dakota’s non-conference sweep at Vermont last weekend.

Boeser (pronounced bess-ur) was named NCHC Rookie of the Week while Hrynkiw (pronounced her-INK-yoo) became the second goaltender from UND this season to earn NCHC Goaltender of the Week honors.

Boeser, from Burnsville, Minn., led all NCHC freshmen in scoring over the weekend with three points. He set up Bryn Chyzyk’s power-play goal in the third period of Friday’s 2-0 win, then followed up with a goal and an assist in Saturday’s 5-2 victory. In his past three games, Boeser has four goals and two assists.

GRAND FORKS, N.D. – University of North Dakota freshman forward Brock Boeser and junior goaltender Matt Hrynkiw have both been recognized by the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) for their outstanding play in North Dakota’s non-conference sweep at Vermont last weekend.

Boeser (pronounced bess-ur) was named NCHC Rookie of the Week while Hrynkiw (pronounced her-INK-yoo) became the second goaltender from UND this season to earn NCHC Goaltender of the Week honors.

Boeser, from Burnsville, Minn., led all NCHC freshmen in scoring over the weekend with three points. He set up Bryn Chyzyk’s power-play goal in the third period of Friday’s 2-0 win, then followed up with a goal and an assist in Saturday’s 5-2 victory. In his past three games, Boeser has four goals and two assists.

Last time, at least from my memory, the Canucks drafted a college-route player  in the first round was Patrick White. For 4 years, there was little positive news. In his post-draft rookie year, White had something like 10 points all year, Boeser already has 6.

This is nicer. 

• Upvote 1