The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

8 minutes ago, Realtor Rod said:

Exactly. Why do people have difficulty understanding this? 

Teams drafting players who are going to college own their rights for about TWICE as long as they own the rights to players who are and will be playing in junior.

Why do some people have difficulty understanding THIS? If you want to troll, why don't you see if you can find some more realistic fear to try to panic fans over?

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Realtor Rod said:

Exactly. Why do people have difficulty understanding this? 

People get sick of reading other posters say the exact same thing about every NCAA prospect.  It's not a new concern and it gets irritating to read when there is a lot of time to get the signing done and no indication that the signing isn't going to happen.  Brock has said a lot of times he's excited to play for the Canucks.  There is no reason to not take him at his word at this point.

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

This Vesey could start a new trend in college signings. If it works out well for him then others could follow. Until Boeser is signed I will not be comfortable. Looks like a great kid but this is a business and these young kids today seem to be very aware of that fact.

It’s also very dependent on the situation and the kid.   There’s a ton of risk for a kid to do that, 

The kid has to have a lot of faith in their own play, a bad year or injury would really hurt their bargaining power and every year they turn pro earlier is one year closer to UFA (big money).

The kid has to trust in the schoolings development of the kid as a hockey player.  Player development in the NCAA has come a long ways but there’s no question the pro’s is the best.  Everything is at an elite level from the training facilities and trainers to the doctors, phycologists and coaching.  For the most part a team will exceed expectations to do what’s best for a high prospects development.   

In Veseys case the kid was set with or without hockey.  He was a smart kid coming from a highly regarded school, if hockey didn’t turn out he’s still going to make a comfortable living.  His background made taking that risk a much easier choice.   

In Brocks case he’s taking marketing I believe, and yes he may believe completing his degree is important but Brock definitely comes more of a hockey first type person.  He’s stating that he wants one more year and then he will turn pro. If he wants to wait, he’s still got 3 more years of NCAA, I have a hard time seeing him take that route. 3 more years is a long time for someone who's already accomplished basically everything he can, in fact staying that long would likely only stunt his development. 

Edited by ForsbergTheGreat
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Not to mention that Brock also convinced one of his college teammates (Stecher) to sign with the Canucks and tried hard to convince another teammate (Caggiula). 

Everything Brock has done to this point shows that he is devoted to this franchise. Is there a slim chance he doesn't sign? Yes, but that also means he has to spend 3 more years in college, in a league that he's already shown he's one of the best players in. It does not make sense for any party for Brock to potentially stagnate his development and put off signing for so long just so he can choose his team as a free agent. 

Usually when a high profile college player decides to opt for free agency they are not considered a blue chip prospect until after their sophomore or junior year. Players who light up college hockey in their first season (as Brock has done) don't choose to stay all 4 years because their competitive drive leads to them wanting to be in the NHL as soon as possible. 

So true.  He would actually lose money by not signing an ELC.  he would have to spend 3 more seasons in the NCAA completely unpaid and then sign a deal for a few mill.  he would leave around 3 mill on the table by foregoing his ELC.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, wshdrvvn said:

So true.  He would actually lose money by not signing an ELC.  he would have to spend 3 more seasons in the NCAA completely unpaid and then sign a deal for a few mill.  he would leave around 3 mill on the table by foregoing his ELC.

There's the concept that it would take one bad check, or one freak injury and it's all over. Graduating college with a degree gives him options and a fallback career. Which is why I never understood why my brother didn't sign with a junior college in California. He could have had a degree, for his four years of football. But in the end it worked out and he's doing what he loves as a contractor. 

So it's all good. 

28 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Not to mention that Brock also convinced one of his college teammates (Stecher) to sign with the Canucks and tried hard to convince another teammate (Caggiula). 

Everything Brock has done to this point shows that he is devoted to this franchise. Is there a slim chance he doesn't sign? Yes, but that also means he has to spend 3 more years in college, in a league that he's already shown he's one of the best players in. It does not make sense for any party for Brock to potentially stagnate his development and put off signing for so long just so he can choose his team as a free agent. 

Usually when a high profile college player decides to opt for free agency they are not considered a blue chip prospect until after their sophomore or junior year. Players who light up college hockey in their first season (as Brock has done) don't choose to stay all 4 years because their competitive drive leads to them wanting to be in the NHL as soon as possible. 

Not to mention his career/earning potential.

Every year he delays going pro is one less year of making NHL money and getting NHL experience which has sizable effect on later contracts as well. It makes very little sense for Brock to play out his 4 years of NCAA.

@Realtor Rod, the reason people don't want to hear it is that there's literally zero existing or new information to suggest that's the case. In fact, most information points to Brock signing here next spring/summer. If you had some sort of new information to suggest otherwise, great. But otherwise, it's borderline trolling IMO.

Are you walking around looking over your shoulder for rogue trucks because of what happened in Nice yesterday?

The constant 'sky is falling' mentality some portion of this fan base has must be exhausting...

Edited by J.R.
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

Not to mention his career/earning potential.

Every year he delays going pro is one less year of making NHL money and getting NHL experience which has sizable effect on later contracts as well. It makes very little sense for Brock to play out his 4 years of NCAA.

@Realtor Rod, the reason people don't want to hear it is that there's literally zero existing or new information to suggest that's the case. In fact, most information points to Brock signing here next spring/summer. 

Are you walking around looking over your shoulder for rogue trucks because of what happened in Nice yesterday?

The constant 'sky is falling' mentality some portion of this fan base has must be exhausting...

Hilarious, all I said was if he signs. He may not. He has the option, like Wheeler, Vesey, Schultz etc. I hope he does sign and I will be excited if/when that happens.

2 minutes ago, Realtor Rod said:

Hilarious, all I said was if he signs. He may not. He has the option, like Wheeler, Vesey, Schultz etc. I hope he does sign and I will be excited if/when that happens.

should have wrote "trigger warning" on it hahah it gets under a lot of people's skin saying it.

38 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

There's the concept that it would take one bad check, or one freak injury and it's all over. Graduating college with a degree gives him options and a fallback career. Which is why I never understood why my brother didn't sign with a junior college in California. He could have had a degree, for his four years of football. But in the end it worked out and he's doing what he loves as a contractor. 

So it's all good. 

A career to fall back on or guaranteed millions in your early 20's... That's a tough call. Are people serious with this argument? There isn't any limit on when a person can go to college, so what's the logic? I don't get it.

1 minute ago, canuckledraggin said:

A career to fall back on or guaranteed millions in your early 20's... That's a tough call. Are people serious with this argument? There isn't any limit on when a person can go to college, so what's the logic? I don't get it.

Never mind that guys can and do finish their degrees WHILE playing in the NHL and earning those millions...

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

Never mind that guys can and do finish their degrees WHILE playing in the NHL and earning those millions...

Demko is doing that this summer. And I believe Cory Schneider did the same.

And if the NHL doesn't work out you can always go back, most schools give you a 5 year leeway to comeback and finish.  

1 hour ago, Realtor Rod said:

He's got 3 years to get to that point.  Do you go into the Markstrom thread and state that in 4 years he will be UFA and can sign with any team he wants?  Probably not because at this point it's irrelevant to worry about something so far away.

• Upvote 2

On 14/07/2016 at 7:51 PM, Realtor Rod said:

Do you know something we don't? Also Blake Wheeler, Jimmy Vesey, Justin Schultz and others say hello...

Have you listened to Boeser talk? He several times has insinuated that he doesn't  see himself back at UND for a third year, he encouraged Stecher and tried to convince Caggulia to sign in Vancouver, and he just seemss like a really good loyal kid. 

Worrying like tou do is just a waste of your own energy. Just take a couple deep breaths and wait until there's actually an issue.

Edited by Crackers
  • Upvote 4

49 minutes ago, numb3r 16 said:

So not that it matters but... Brocks leading his team in points, 2g 6a in 2 games

Tied for first in the tournament in scoring.

But like you said, it doesn't mean much. Especially when a guy like Stu Bickell has 7 points in 2 games.

Either way it's good that he's getting to play against some NHLers so he can compare himself to guys that are at that level.

12 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Tied for first in the tournament in scoring.

But like you said, it doesn't mean much. Especially when a guy like Stu Bickell has 7 points in 2 games.

Either way it's good that he's getting to play against some NHLers so he can compare himself to guys that are at that level.

Who's 10 years older :P

Are there any clips or highlights? Love to see some of those points.