The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

44 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

Boeser looks like a great prospect. The only things I'm worried about next season if he goes pro are his foot speed and his 2-way game.

Yeah, I'd love to put him with the twins their final year but because of those things, I doubt they'd be a good fit. 

Not sure how this works but I'd love to give him a good shot at the NHL roster in training camp, give him maybe 6-9 games then send him to Utica regardless (don't want another McCann fiasco). He has to start playing against men bigger than himself and learn at the AHL level first, hopefully with Virtanen. But give the kid a sniff at the NHL, he's deserved it.

1 hour ago, messier's_elbow said:

Boeser looks like a great prospect. The only things I'm worried about next season if he goes pro are his foot speed and his 2-way game.

Those "only things" are pretty important things. But those concerns remind me of the concerns about Tkachuk and he is doing pretty well. (Not to mention the Sedins.)

Speed is nice but having a high hockey IQ makes up for a lot. And, as for defence, keeping the puck in the other team's zone most of the time is a great defensive strategy (and the key to the Sedin's great plus-minus numbers for most of their careers).

A team needs some speed. Great to have Horvat and Baertschi as a nice counterpoint to the Sedins in terms of speed and style of play. And Hansen plays a valuable role. But I think Boeser will be able to handle the NHL. I feel a lot more confident about him than about Virtanen. Despite being a much lower pick that Juolevi I have Boeser about the same in terms of expectations -- both very likely to be at least "core" NHL players (top 4 D or top 6 forward) with a significant possibility of more.

14 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Those "only things" are pretty important things. But those concerns remind me of the concerns about Tkachuk and he is doing pretty well. (Not to mention the Sedins.)

Speed is nice but having a high hockey IQ makes up for a lot. And, as for defence, keeping the puck in the other team's zone most of the time is a great defensive strategy (and the key to the Sedin's great plus-minus numbers for most of their careers).

A team needs some speed. Great to have Horvat and Baertschi as a nice counterpoint to the Sedins in terms of speed and style of play. And Hansen plays a valuable role. But I think Boeser will be able to handle the NHL. I feel a lot more confident about him than about Virtanen. Despite being a much lower pick that Juolevi I have Boeser about the same in terms of expectations -- both very likely to be at least "core" NHL players (top 4 D or top 6 forward) with a significant possibility of more.

I think Boeser will have to be on a line with at least one speedster. The only way he's on a line with the Sedins should be on the powerplay. I could see next year's lines look something like..

Daniel - Henrik - Hansen

Baertschi - Horvat - Eriksson

Granlund - Sutter - Boeser

As of right now, I'm hoping we sign him at the end of this year. After a full summer of training, give him 9 games in the NHL. Then send him down to Utica for about a month. If he proves that he can stick with the Canucks, then bring him up. If he doesn't, let him stay in Utica and re-evaluate at the 41 game mark. 

People have too much love for the 9 games thing. We aren't exactly going to have less waiver eligible players next year to make sending players down short term easier.

But Boeser is projected to sign this off-season barring a setback where he might find it better suited to play his 3rd NCAA season. He'll be a pro next season and we'll see where he ends up after camp.

3 hours ago, elvis15 said:

People have too much love for the 9 games thing. We aren't exactly going to have less waiver eligible players next year to make sending players down short term easier.

But Boeser is projected to sign this off-season barring a setback where he might find it better suited to play his 3rd NCAA season. He'll be a pro next season and we'll see where he ends up after camp.

If he plays a 3rd ncaa season that's where I start to worry. Correct me if I'm wrong but after his 3rd season he could become a UFA in a few months prior no? At that point what's stopping someone like chicago from swooping in on us. 

Also I haven't seen you around these parts lately. Welcome back?

1 hour ago, Gooseberries said:

If he plays a 3rd ncaa season that's where I start to worry. Correct me if I'm wrong but after his 3rd season he could become a UFA in a few months prior no? At that point what's stopping someone like chicago from swooping in on us. 

Boeser really seems like a character guy, and I think with him trying to get Stecher to sign here solidifies my confidence in him signing with us even if he plays a third year. Also I believe it's after the senior year of eligibility. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Not sure how this works but I'd love to give him a good shot at the NHL roster in training camp, give him maybe 6-9 games then send him to Utica regardless (don't want another McCann fiasco). He has to start playing against men bigger than himself and learn at the AHL level first, hopefully with Virtanen. But give the kid a sniff at the NHL, he's deserved it.

Boeser's already playing against men in college FWIW. Same reason Stetcher was able to make the transition (despite being smaller than Boeser).

I'll be pretty surprised if Boeser spends more than small stints in Utica next year. He's not McCann.

4 hours ago, Gooseberries said:

Pretty sure it's 4 years to go UFA. I don't think you have much to worry about as he's given no indications that that's even on his radar and many indications he plans on being a Canuck very soon.

• Upvote 4

32 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Boeser's already playing against men in college FWIW. Same reason Stetcher was able to make the transition (despite being smaller than Boeser).

I'll be pretty surprised if Boeser spends more than small stints in Utica next year. He's not McCann.

Pretty sure it's 4 years to go UFA. I don't think you have much to worry about as he's given no indications that that's even on his radar and many indications he plans on being a Canuck very soon.

FAns have to be encouraged by how well college signings have played early in their NHL careers. They are sprinkled across the league. I am hoping Boeser signs this spring and finishes the season as a pro.

• Upvote 1

By all preseason indications from

the club and Boeser, a signing this off season was the plan.  

It it will really come down to what Boeser will want to prove in college after this year. His injury could change his outlook, but there is still lots of season left for him to achieve some goals. 

He he is a much better player than expected and it was unfortunate that he has missed the WJC. I want the club to push to sign him now. Having his shot on Hanks wing would be something to see. Even just for a few games. 

EW

18 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

It it will really come down to what Boeser will want to prove in college after this year. His injury could change his outlook, but there is still lots of season left for him to achieve some goals. 

He he is a much better player than expected and it was unfortunate that he has missed the WJC. I want the club to push to sign him now. Having his shot on Hanks wing would be something to see. Even just for a few games. 

EW

I'd be ok with signing him as soon as his NCAA season is over and getting him into some NHL games this year. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

Boeser has to be looked at in possible trades with the AVs for Landeskog as Boesers value may be at its peak, seeing that we are growing a mid to early 20s group , it fits us for a faster rebuild.   Boeser plus for Landeskog

Keep Boeser and use the millions saved to either sign an FA or trade a d man.  That's my preferred course. 

EW

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

EW

IMO the injury has to a hard reality check in that any hockey player's career can be as long as the next shift. The college route already defers earnings other than a degree which can spread earnings risk. I would be very surprised if Boeser's agent was not strongly pushing for a NHL contract.

Trade Tanev for a solid prospect or top draft and sign Boeser. That done equals a strong off season for Jim Benning.

11 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

Boeser has to be looked at in possible trades with the AVs for Landeskog as Boesers value may be at its peak, seeing that we are growing a mid to early 20s group , it fits us for a faster rebuild.   Boeser plus for Landeskog

Never speak of this again.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

I am not trading Boeser.  I am imagining him on RW with Bo and Baer.  I think that has the makings of a legit top line in a couple of years.  From what I have seen and heard their games will compliment each other quite well and they seem to all have the same character and commitment to the game.  I'm pretty excited to see them play together.  

If we can find another top six center I am pretty hopeful this team is on the way back up.  The defense has depth and a good mix and the goaltending looks stable.