The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

1 minute ago, coastal1 said:

And what's the point is keeping him in the NHL when he is not ready? He has been pointless in his last 6 games now, in NCAA play! And now for  confirmation that he is not ready we have Craig Button calling him one of the best players outside the NHL. Look at Kyle Connor's numbers last year and see how that translated at the AHL level. Boeser has great potential but he is years away from being NHL-ready, pretty much on par with Virtanen right now.

It's a crapshoot man, you have no better insider knowledge than anyone else. 

But Brock is definitely more well-rounded, and honestly a better offensive weapon than Jake. I'm neither for nor against having him in the NHL next year, but he is a fantastic player and will be given every opportunity.

Jake has been disappointing, but his physical tools are worth putting time into. We're doing that now. 
Brock is a gifted player, and his ceiling is much higher than Jake's, but of course literally anything is possible and he could be a zero in the bigs... but nobody on earth knows what the future holds. Let's wait 'til then.

He quite literally IS one of the best players outside of the NHL. But outside and inside are indeed two very different things. Either way, we've got a player here, and it's exciting.
He needs to get out of his slump though!

Watched Brock last night and a few times this and last year as CBS sports carries college hockey and likes ND State.  Definately a very good prospect, but right now he isn't even the best player on his team.   I don't see him sucessfully walking into the NHL at this time.  Call me a bit skeptical, but I've seen many prospects with high expectations fall by the wayside.  This board has us believing that Cole Cassels might skip Utica and go directly to Vancouver.   There are only a handful of guys that can do it (Bo is one) and it's a shame the draft position didn't fall the Canucks way last year - Matthews or Laine would have been two excellent can't misses.  I like what I have seen of Brock, but I wouldn't call him a sure thing.  Just my opinion.

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

Yeah and it's funny to see how quiet everything get's in here when he isn't putting up points.  

I was disappointed in Shawnigan.   Stetcher and Demko were the only prospects that actually stood out as being elite.  Boeser has great skills with the puck but he wasn't driving the play and he couldn't beat any one with his speed.  Still a very good prospect with a lot of potential to become a high end goal scorer but definitely not a sure thing

Expectations are always way to high and it can become embarrassing to our fan base when people on the internet try to hype our prospects to another teams fan base.  "Jake is gonna be crushing guys in the Pacific division for years to come" - CDC 2014   "McDavid won't be able to touch us as long as we have Cassels on the ice against him" - CDC 2015 

Lol..God this cracked me up....I wish there was a way to force people to have the dumb $&!# they say on their avatar so you can filter through bull$&!# on this forum. The amount of OMG why do people think we have a terrible prospect pool! With Hodgson, Schroeder and Shirokov coming up and Sauve looks to be a beast as well. We're stacked

2 hours ago, nergish said:

It's a crapshoot man, you have no better insider knowledge than anyone else. 

But Brock is definitely more well-rounded, and honestly a better offensive weapon than Jake. I'm neither for nor against having him in the NHL next year, but he is a fantastic player and will be given every opportunity.

Jake has been disappointing, but his physical tools are worth putting time into. We're doing that now. 
Brock is a gifted player, and his ceiling is much higher than Jake's, but of course literally anything is possible and he could be a zero in the bigs... but nobody on earth knows what the future holds. Let's wait 'til then.

He quite literally IS one of the best players outside of the NHL. But outside and inside are indeed two very different things. Either way, we've got a player here, and it's exciting.
He needs to get out of his slump though!

Boeser has major skating issues and doesn't drive offense as we are seeing now. 

He's a good prospect don't get me wrong, but the way he's talked about here you'd think he's the next Kane. Boeser has the issue of going invisible as well. I just remember how many people here said he was going to be better than Marner and Aho, and how he would go top 5 in a redraft. expectations like that are just setting Brock up for failure. Once again he's a good prospect, but with some quite obvious flaws that may prevent him from being a star in the NHL. 

As for the best u23 player outside the NHL the only answer really is Kaprizov. He's going to break Tarasenko/Panarin/Kuznetsovs PPG pace and was incredible at the world juniors. 

Edited by GoBoGo53

1 hour ago, UTICANUCK said:

Watched Brock last night and a few times this and last year as CBS sports carries college hockey and likes ND State.  Definately a very good prospect, but right now he isn't even the best player on his team.   I don't see him sucessfully walking into the NHL at this time.  Call me a bit skeptical, but I've seen many prospects with high expectations fall by the wayside.  This board has us believing that Cole Cassels might skip Utica and go directly to Vancouver.   There are only a handful of guys that can do it (Bo is one) and it's a shame the draft position didn't fall the Canucks way last year - Matthews or Laine would have been two excellent can't misses.  I like what I have seen of Brock, but I wouldn't call him a sure thing.  Just my opinion.

People are just setting themselves for disappointment because most don't actually watch him play, they just look at the points he puts up and watch the highlights on YouTube or Twitter of his goals. 

I got laughed at for saying that he wouldn't go top 15 in a redraft in the summer. Fact is Boeser doesn't drive offense well, has skating issues, and goes missing. Of course he can fix those flaws but when I see like on the trade and proposals section that people would rather have Boeser over Gaudreau you just gotta shake your head. 

He absolutely has star potential but many here just disregard his flaws and assume he's a sure fire top line forward. 

4 minutes ago, GoBoGo53 said:

Boeser has major skating issues and doesn't drive offense as we are seeing now. 

He's a good prospect don't get me wrong, but the way he's talked about here you'd think he's the next Kane. Boeser has the issue of going invisible as well. I just remember how many people here said he was going to be better than Marner and Aho, and how he would go top 5 in a redraft. expectations like that are just setting Brock up for failure. Once again he's a good prospect, but with some quite obvious flaws that may prevent him from being a star in the NHL. 

As for the best u23 player outside the NHL the only answer really is Kaprizov. He's going to break Tarasenko/Panarin/Kuznetsovs PPG pace and was incredible at the world juniors. 

Your points about Boeser maybe not becoming the player we all hope for is exactly why JB should have kept (and used) those 12 picks he traded away.  Then we might have two or three Boesers, and a better chance of one of them turning out.  

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Your points about Boeser maybe not becoming the player we all hope for is exactly why JB should have kept (and used) those 12 picks he traded away.  Then we might have two or three Boesers, and a better chance of one of them turning out.  

Yeah completely agreed. I really like the way Minnesota has built their prospect pool for example. Kaprizov is likely the best prospect in the NHL and be was a late round pick. Sokolov was too. Abramov on Columbus was another fantastic pick. Tampa bay getting all those guys on the Canadian world juniors team late in the draft is another. Nicholas Roy on Carolina and Andrew Nielsen on Toronto as well. 

Just to be clear I'm not saying Boeser won't be a star, I'm just saying he has very obvious flaws that alot of people I see here overlook and assume will just correct themselves. 

Edited by GoBoGo53

I'm gonna have to disagree with everyone saying that Boeser is slow. To me it's just the first few steps he has to work on, just like Horvat stated was his problem when he came in. He absolutely will improve on that facet of his game. Boeser also has a shot and release that cannot to be taught or coached. He's an all situations player with good size and vision. Let's not forget this guy broke records in his first college season. This season has definetly been tougher for him with a wrist injury and not as deep of a team but in no way would I sour on the high end prospect he is. He will no doubt in my mind be a perennial 25-30 goal scorer for the Canucks.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

You mean from all of the "realists" with their 20/20 hindsight and knowledge of the future?

There is a real crew of posters that can tell the future with such certainty ;)  

They should post their lotto numbers before every draw, they must be rich from their uncanny ability to see things that have not transpired yet. 

The hindsight is especially useful. If only we could also travel back into the past and change all of our draft picks after a year post draft.... we could have drafted Nick over Bo... wait... isn't that what those same posters wanted then?

EW

Edited by Eastcoast meets Westcoast

5 hours ago, coastal1 said:

And what's the point is keeping him in the NHL when he is not ready? He has been pointless in his last 6 games now, in NCAA play! And now for  confirmation that he is not ready we have Craig Button calling him one of the best players outside the NHL. Look at Kyle Connor's numbers last year and see how that translated at the AHL level. Boeser has great potential but he is years away from being NHL-ready, pretty much on par with Virtanen right now.

You don't know that, you probably said that about Stetcher and Hutton as well. No one knows how he will do once given a shot and I think we should think positive about a guy who is projected to be an offensive stud.

4 hours ago, UTICANUCK said:

What about Hutton and Stetcher? Both Jims picks and making the transition rather well I would say.

1 minute ago, Sbriggs said:

What about Hutton and Stetcher? Both Jims picks and making the transition rather well I would say.

Hutton was picked by Gillis, not Benning. Stecher was signed as a college free agent; he was not a pick. Lots of teams wanted to sign him but, fortunately, he wanted to return home to the Vancouver area. So it is hard to give Benning a lot of credit for "picking" either of those guys.

As for Boeser, as @UTICANUCK said, he is a good prospect but he is not in the "can't miss" category except for homers who also had guys like Virtanen and Cassels as "can't  miss" players. Even Demko and Juolevi are not in the 'can't miss" category. Both are good prospects but, frankly, most people were hoping for a bit more from both this year. The guy who really has turned heads this year is Gaudette.

Just now, Camel Toe Drag said:

Hutton is a Gillis pick

Stecher is a Jim signing 

Sorry thanks for the correction. Still they both pretty much came in from The NCAA and transitioned rather well, no reason Brock can't do the same.

2 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Hutton was picked by Gillis, not Benning. Stecher was signed as a college free agent; he was not a pick. Lots of teams wanted to sign him but, fortunately, he wanted to return home to the Vancouver area. So it is hard to give Benning a lot of credit for "picking" either of those guys.

As for Boeser, as @UTICANUCK said, he is a good prospect but he is not in the "can't miss" category except for homers who also had guys like Virtanen and Cassels as "can't  miss" players. Even Demko and Juolevi are not in the 'can't miss" category. Both are good prospects but, frankly, most people were hoping for a bit more from both this year. The guy who really has turned heads this year is Gaudette.

No one is saying he's a can't miss player but the fact that both Hutton and Stetcher came pretty much straight from the NCAA to play NHL means that it can happen and its not far fetched. Doesn't matter who gets credit for the picks or signings that wasn't my point, but thanks for correcting me.

1 hour ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

There is a real crew of posters that can tell the future with such certainty ;)  

They should post their lotto numbers before every draw, they must be rich from their uncanny ability to see things that have not transpired yet. 

The hindsight is especially useful. If only we could also travel back into the past and change all of our draft picks after a year post draft.... we could have drafted Nick over Bo... wait... isn't that what those same posters wanted then?

EW

Nick?