The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

I feel like there have been too many prospects that have come and gone, that ended up not panning out the way we want them to and it would be heartbreaking to see this happen to Boeser (hypothetically speaking of course) if he didn't meet people's expectations and scored 30 and 30 in his Calder trophy winning rookie year-- especially for a guy of his character.

2 hours ago, suitup said:

I feel like there have been too many prospects that have come and gone, that ended up not panning out the way we want them to and it would be heartbreaking to see this happen to Boeser (hypothetically speaking of course) if he didn't meet people's expectations and scored 30 and 30 in his Calder trophy winning rookie year-- especially for a guy of his character.

IMHO the dif today is that the Canucks have some time in their development time line that would cushion young prospects. Sending Gaunce back to Utica was a sign of this as management is clearly doing the best practices for developing long term success. That is not the history of this org. Utica will have an influx of young talent next year with a very experienced coaching group even if Green leaves. If Boeser needs time in the AHL I am sure he will get it.

When Gillis spearheaded the AHL franchise purchase it was a game changer for the organization. Consistent structure from the minors to the NHL. All that has been missing is a deeper talent pool which is changing.

Just now, Boudrias said:

IMHO the dif today is that the Canucks have some time in their development time line that would cushion young prospects. Sending Gaunce back to Utica was a sign of this as management is clearly doing the best practices for developing long term success. That is not the history of this org. Utica will have an influx of young talent next year with a very experienced coaching group even if Green leaves. If Boeser needs time in the AHL I am sure he will get it.

When Gillis spearheaded the AHL franchise purchase it was a game changer for the organization. Consistent structure from the minors to the NHL. All that has been missing is a deeper talent pool which is changing.

I definitely agree with what you've said. I'm just saying that fans here (me included) get way too hyped up about prospects, and then are disappointed when they don't live up to expectations. I've personally just seen so many flop or simply not live up to the hype that I've become cautious about where to set my expectations. 

I have no doubt that Boeser might become a top player for us someday, but to have some people here project him as an elite scoring forward might be a bit much. I just feel that all these expectations aren't warranted for a pick drafted outside the top 10. There are things in his game that is still in question before we can pencil him in on all our top line RW slots for the future. 

3 minutes ago, suitup said:

I definitely agree with what you've said. I'm just saying that fans here (me included) get way too hyped up about prospects, and then are disappointed when they don't live up to expectations. I've personally just seen so many flop or simply not live up to the hype that I've become cautious about where to set my expectations. 

I have no doubt that Boeser might become a top player for us someday, but to have some people here project him as an elite scoring forward might be a bit much. I just feel that all these expectations aren't warranted for a pick drafted outside the top 10. There are things in his game that is still in question before we can pencil him in on all our top line RW slots for the future. 

Many fans have short timelines and as you said exaggerated expectations. Using Utica and showing patience can maximize talent whatever that ends up being.  

2 hours ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

IMG_0857.PNG

Yea departing straight for free agency that is!! :frantic:

Excited about this kid. I hope he get's a chance to get his feet wet in the AHL before we throw him into the snake pit that is the NHL. 

Edited by DeltaSwede

3 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

Yea departing straight for free agency that is!! :frantic:

Excited about this kid. I hope he get's a chance to get his feet wet in the AHL before we throw him into the snake pit that is the NHL. 

AHL playoffs this season? Then start in Utica next season, until he's sniping away. 

39 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Brock Boeser with 1 assist today. He now has 24 points (11 goals and 13 assists) in 24 games.

It would be really nice if Boeser went on a hot streak to end the year. North Dakota sucks but it would be great if he can show he's good enough to carry a line in College hockey.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

It would be really nice if Boeser went on a hot streak to end the year. North Dakota sucks but it would be great if he can show he's good enough to carry a line in College hockey.

I think it's just a matter of him adjusting to his wrist. He's clearly not back to 100% We already know he's capable of being the driver of a line. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/14/2017 at 11:39 AM, tybarber said:

UND Coach Brad Berry on 1040: http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/berry-full-expect-boeser-to-leave-und-after-this-year-1.671647

He doesn't say much, outside of the generic answers they typically give, but I'll summarize it here:

- He says Brock has played well this year, he started off hot then was playing injured and had to have the surgery. He says his slump has to do mostly with the team and the league. Teams are tightening up for a "playoff push", a lot more 2-1, 3-2 type of games been harder to score, but he's also been unlucky, quite a few posts, some that just miss the net, etc. 

- Talks about Brock on the PP (only 2 PP goals), he says the other teams are adjusting to Brock, saying it's harder in your second year when people start to recognize you. In his first year he could easily find the open space to score, he says though the team needs to get better to try to open Brock up for the PP.

- Thinks he will be able to score at the NHL level. 

- Says he's a really powerful skater, but did not go on to say he's necessarily a fast skater, but overall a good skater. 

- UND's preparation plan for next year is that Brock is going to leave for the show.

Other non-Boeser related info: 

- Really enjoys watching Stecher play, thought his assist on Burrows' goal was very good. 

- Goalie Cam Johnson might be a collegiate FA option from UND. 

- Tyson Jost is having a great season, has a great work ethic, his on ice/off ice work ethic reminds him a lot of Toews.  

Cause he's a STUD!

Canucks win lottery drafting 1st overall.  Avs drafting 3rd.  Avs want Patrick.  Canucks trade 1st overall CBJ and Van 2nd to Colorado for 3rd overall and Jost baby!

Seriously, always loved Jost in Penticton.  Glad to hear he's doing well.  Would be amazing to see him in van with Boeser

If Boeser does commit to Van next year I also hope he keeps up his schooling.