The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

10 hours ago, quattrobaj said:

The issue I have with Brock is when he's not scoring... most games you wouldn't notice him.  Everyone keeps saying he has an elite shot but how many goals has he scored that were from him picking a spot with his shot?  Most of them this season is from rebounds or deflections.. Petey has a better shot than him especially accuracy wise.  Granted I feel like putting him on pp1 is a wasted spot for him.. if he has an lethal shot, they should utilize it have him along the wings in PP2 or PP1 (although Miller is just too good to move).  

At the end of the day we shouldn't want players that disappear for long stretches and getting the odd points just from playing on the top 2 lines or pp1.  If you are considered a top 6 forward, you should be noticeable.  Brock has not been noticeable for long stretches and that is the issue.  We can make all the excuses for him all we want but this is business and you need to perform... when you don't, don't expect to get paid what you want.

I think he's had wrist issues off and on since his rookie season. 

He's also not as mobile as I think he needs to be.  If the shot is good, an extra half a step would help him get into position to be more effective.

9 hours ago, quattrobaj said:

The issue I have with Brock is when he's not scoring... most games you wouldn't notice him.  Everyone keeps saying he has an elite shot but how many goals has he scored that were from him picking a spot with his shot?  Most of them this season is from rebounds or deflections.. Petey has a better shot than him especially accuracy wise.  Granted I feel like putting him on pp1 is a wasted spot for him.. if he has an lethal shot, they should utilize it have him along the wings in PP2 or PP1 (although Miller is just too good to move).  

At the end of the day we shouldn't want players that disappear for long stretches and getting the odd points just from playing on the top 2 lines or pp1.  If you are considered a top 6 forward, you should be noticeable.  Brock has not been noticeable for long stretches and that is the issue.  We can make all the excuses for him all we want but this is business and you need to perform... when you don't, don't expect to get paid what you want.

I do agree with much of what you are saying.  Brock has been particularly frustrating to watch

this year and not just because of the lack of scoring.  As you have stated, Brock has to be a

consistent sniper; that is his role on the team.  There are some other areas he can improve at,

but the main thing is the scoring.  Phil Kessel made a career of scoring goals, along with the

worst +/-  and overall poor play. If Brock is to be a significant player for the Canucks he should

be at least the 30g/50pt mark every season.

Still, I think the management will work out an appropriate short term contract and give him a

chance to notch up his game.  Or, they may attempt to move him.  There is still interest in

him as GMs will look beyond this past season, but he needs to have a contract that reflects his

recent downward trend along with a short term.

ARI is going to clear a lot of cap after this season:

LE

Beagle

Roussel

Kessel

Stralman

$24.5 million off the books

to ARI - Boeser, Poolman and Rathbone

to VAN - Chychrun and the #32 (ARI has three 1sts this year)

Edit - I know this probably won't happen, but Canucks need younger, tougher Dmen

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

ARI is going to clear a lot of cap after this season:

LE

Beagle

Roussel

Kessel

Stralman

$24.5 million off the books

to ARI - Boeser, Poolman and Rathbone

to VAN - Chychrun and the #32 (ARI has three 1sts this year)

Edit - I know this probably won't happen, but Canucks need younger, tougher Dmen

Chychscrub is too often injured.  We have Quinn and OEL, so the Scrubby One would be on our bottom pair.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Chychscrub is too often injured.  We have Quinn and OEL, so the Scrubby One would be on our bottom pair.  

Yeah, he hasn't done great in ARI, and injured again, but he is young and can still develop well in VAN. Maybe Chychrun isn't the Dman, but I do think the Canucks need to beef up the D in front of Demko.  I'd love to get Cernak or Sergachev out of TB, but that's a dream, won't happen.  Maybe Carlo from BOS? A great D in front of Demko could really make life easier.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Yeah, he hasn't done great in ARI, and injured again, but he is young and can still develop well in VAN. Maybe Chychrun isn't the Dman, but I do think the Canucks need to beef up the D in front of Demko.  I'd love to get Cernak or Sergachev out of TB, but that's a dream, won't happen.  Maybe Carlo from BOS? A great D in front of Demko could really make life easier.

Boeser (or Garland) for Carlo would be fantastic.  Have to somehow dumperoo Poolman though.  Not too sure that’s possible.

42 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Poolman is only a 2.5 cap hit, so we could bury him in the minors and clear close to 50% of that cap, if he’s not picked up on waivers.  

yup. Not ideal, but it is what it is. AZ is really going to struggle to field a team so who knows. I mean who's going to sign up to play in a college dorm room for 3 years?

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Boeser (or Garland) for Carlo would be fantastic.  Have to somehow dumperoo Poolman though.  Not too sure that’s possible.

Boeser and Rathbone

for

Debrusk and Carlo

i think that helps both teams out.

• Like 1

The Coyotes are actually sitting in a great position for a rebuilding team.  They will a huge amount

of cap space, tons of draft picks and a half dozen young developing players who may become

core players or valuable trade pieces.  This could be a rebuilding GMs dream team.

Looking over their roster, I notice that they are shallow on RW and RD.  I am thinking of a trade

that might work nicely for both sides.  Brock + Poolman + 1st for Soderstrom + 2nd

I've always liked Soderstrom; in fact I wanted him over Podz in the draft:shock:  I think he could

develop into a great partner for Quinn and actually play as a real top pairing dman.  He

just turned 21yrs and is playing in his 2nd yr AHL.  He is outplaying the other (older) dmen

on the team, who have had more games. I would say he may be NHL ready for next season.

Have a read of this short scouting report.  He has 'Quinn's next partner' all over him.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/344555/victor-soderstrom

4 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I do agree with much of what you are saying.  Brock has been particularly frustrating to watch

this year and not just because of the lack of scoring.  As you have stated, Brock has to be a

consistent sniper; that is his role on the team.  There are some other areas he can improve at,

but the main thing is the scoring.  Phil Kessel made a career of scoring goals, along with the

worst +/-  and overall poor play. If Brock is to be a significant player for the Canucks he should

be at least the 30g/50pt mark every season.

Still, I think the management will work out an appropriate short term contract and give him a

chance to notch up his game.  Or, they may attempt to move him.  There is still interest in

him as GMs will look beyond this past season, but he needs to have a contract that reflects his

recent downward trend along with a short term.

Realistically we don't need or want a player like that.  At any number really...... Look what a replacement level player in Chaisson is doing with Brocks cush mins. We don't need passengers on this team especially ones making above league min. 

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

The Coyotes are actually sitting in a great position for a rebuilding team.  They will a huge amount

of cap space, tons of draft picks and a half dozen young developing players who may become

core players or valuable trade pieces.  This could be a rebuilding GMs dream team.

Looking over their roster, I notice that they are shallow on RW and RD.  I am thinking of a trade

that might work nicely for both sides.  Brock + Poolman + 1st for Soderstrom + 2nd

I've always liked Soderstrom; in fact I wanted him over Podz in the draft:shock:  I think he could

develop into a great partner for Quinn and actually play as a real top pairing dman.  He

just turned 21yrs and is playing in his 2nd yr AHL.  He is outplaying the other (older) dmen

on the team, who have had more games. I would say he may be NHL ready for next season.

Have a read of this short scouting report.  He has 'Quinn's next partner' all over him.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/344555/victor-soderstrom

Arizona is tanking to acquire as many draft picks and futures as possible - Sodestrom is right in the age group they are building around and was a high draft pick himself.  Ownership probably wants to spend as little as possible with close to no revenue for some time and the millions they need to spend to adjust the arena to NHL standards.  Can't see them paying Boeser or why he would want to sign to play in a mini arena.

Edited by mll

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

Boeser and Rathbone

for

Debrusk and Carlo

i think that helps both teams out.

Can't see Boston being interested.   They have been looking for another top4 LD besides Carlo for quite a long time.  Now that they've finally filled the hole they saw as a priority to fix, why would they create it all back again?  

Edited by mll

55 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Keep thinking Boeser could be a fit in BUF, PIT or NJ

BUF - (RW/LW) Tuch and (RD) Jokiharju

PIT - (RW) Kapanen and (RD) Maniscalco

NJ - (LW/C) Zacha and (LD) Bahl

I tend to agree with the teams. Something along the lines of....... 

BUF- Victor Oloffson

PIT- Danton Heinen

NJ- Ryan Graves 

15 hours ago, hammertime said:

I tend to agree with the teams. Something along the lines of....... 

BUF- Victor Oloffson

PIT- Danton Heinen

NJ- Ryan Graves 

Maybe the best return for Brock is draft picks (if any are offered) and clear his cap?  We don’t need to take back contracts.  

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Maybe the best return for Brock is draft picks (if any are offered) and clear his cap?  We don’t need to take back contracts.  

We do need for fill a winger spot if he's traded. A winger coming back in a boeser trade would be cheaper, contract wise, than one we grab in free agency.

41 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

We do need for fill a winger spot if he's traded. A winger coming back in a boeser trade would be cheaper, contract wise, than one we grab in free agency.

Garland

Pods

Hogs

Pearson

Who do we have that can play a top six role as winger other than those guys, that isn’t a centre too?  

I just don’t think Boeser has the value to bring back a top six winger.