The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

27 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I think this is a really good post. However I think you missed the biggest pro/con. We can talk about foot speed we can talk about slumps we can talk about career average point pace comparable contracts bla bla etc till were blue in the face. 

I'm here to talk about the real problem with Brock....... Has anyone ever seen him get mad? You could stand right next to Brock and speed bag Demko. Brock might hug you. I see no emotion in his play no heart. He isn't battling for his ice or for his pucks and he isn't making life hard out there for the opponent. 

I have no doubt in my mind that he will be a 30 goal scorer and that's all well and good. My problem is that 20mins of Brock are 20 waaaaay too easy minutes for the other team. Where that leaves me is addition by subtraction. Our team has no room for Brock playing every game like it's an all star game. When he goes into the corner with Crosby he's trying to figure out dinner reservations for after the game. 

I have zero time left for Brock. We need to cut out the fat and get harder period.

Maybe Brock plays a bit afraid?  Since that Clutterbuck collision and very bad back injury, Brock is a different player.  He plays too safe.  He’s just not a good enough scorer to play that soft game.  

Plus, he’s likely using up a lot of energy and emotion worrying about his dad.  We can’t forget that part.  Brock might be a much different player if he was playing at home and had his father close.  

Edited by Alflives
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe Brock plays a bit afraid?  Since that Clutterbuck collision and very bad back injury, Brock is a different player.  He plays too safe.  He’s just not a good enough scorer to play that soft game.  

Plus, he’s likely using up a lot of energy and emotion worrying about his dad.  We can’t forget that part.  Brock might be a much different player if he was playing at home and had his father close.  

So he can't get mad he just get's sad? 

It's rough I feel for Brock really like the guy. Like I said I have no doubt he'll score 30. I cheered harder for the crosschecking penalty he took a couple games ago that resulted in an immediate goal against than any goal he's scored this season. Was the first time I have any memory of him letting the other team 'know he's there"

Slap Shot (1977) - IMDb

4 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

My heart broke watching this interview

It's hard, real hard!

That was really tough to watch.

CDC'ers have no idea of what some of these players are dealing with in their personal lives and just how much that can affect  their ability to focus and play the game.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

CDC'ers have no idea of what some of these players are dealing with in their personal lives and just how much that can affect  their ability to focus and play the game.

Should not generalize and say CDCer's have no idea 

On the flipside of saying that

I think most CDC'ers have had similar conditions or at least painful ones

We have all lost loved ones or know of ones in poor health, I don't think he is on the ice thinking those thoughts and escapes from them training and playing, that emotion usually arises when you try talking about something that is painful when having to think and discuss it

Many keep themselves busy so they don't have to think about it (Family, Friends, Themselves or Pets  illnesses) and become better at what they are throwing themselves into

I remember reading when the story first came out about  his dad's condition and his dad  saying for him to get out and play and be the player he can for him (in similar words)

Good for him to be with family now and focus on taking control of his life and future  as well

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kootenay Gold said:

And the player’s personal lives really aren’t any of our business, unless it is in the news - like Virtanen raping that girl.  

As for Boeser, his play on the ice wasn’t worth his QO.  Not even close.

Hoping he will accept a 2 year (prove it) deal of about 5.5 - 6 per.   He has the very rare skill of a wrist shot that can beat goalies clean from distance.  If Bess would take even less on the cap to sign a longer term I’d be happy to see that too.  6 years x 5 mil

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

like Virtanen raping that girl.  

There is allegations and now a charge of sexual assault- not proven.

p.s. rape is not a thing anymore- it is called sexual assault.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Should not generalize and say CDCer's have no idea 

On the flipside of saying that

I think most CDC'ers have had similar conditions or at least painful ones

We have all lost loved ones or know of ones in poor health, I don't think he is on the ice thinking those thoughts and escapes from them training and playing, that emotion usually arises when you try talking about something that is painful when having to think and discuss it

Many keep themselves busy so they don't have to think about it (Family, Friends, Themselves or Pets  illnesses) and become better at what they are throwing themselves into

I remember reading when the story first came out about  his dad's condition and his dad  saying for him to get out and play and be the player he can for him (in similar words)

Good for him to be with family now and focus on taking control of his life and future  as well

Considering how many on here have demonized him over the season for his poor play, I stand by my original post, although in hindsight, I should have added the word "Many' at the start of the statement.

• Cheers 1

The more you see this team together, the more you think that you have to bring Brock back and sign him up. This team is starting to play for each other, guys like Petey, Hughes, Bo and Brock have gone through a lot already.

Getting rid of a guy now when he's going through what he is sends a sour message across the organization. If there's ever a time management should look out for one of their young players, it's now.

On-ice-wise, one year of an added 1.5ishM compared to what he's worth is nothing if we can sign him longer-term afterwards to something like 5.5M. You know he'll improve and make it worth it.

If he doesn't and he's still a 25ish goal scorer, that's not that big a deal. Heck, if he's in his late 20s and still a 25ish goal scorer, by all means trade him then. But not now when he's still young, the team is bonding and he's going through it.

• Like 1

Man, that's so heartbreaking for Brock and the entire Boeser family. Can you imagine the story if we won the Cup and Bo handed the cup to Duke first? I think I'd cry for a week.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, I think the visible emotion on Petey and Quinn today spoke volumes. Brock is more than a teammate to those guys, he’s a dear friend. And while you can’t always build a team around friendships, we have seen recently what happens when you remove guys like Tanev (who every young guy called “Dad”) and Markstrom, who was perhaps one of the most well-liked guys on the team. As well as Stecher, the young guy who seems to be who every other young players spent their off days with, and then Edler, the ultimate “old guard” guy and culture carrier from the Sedin era.

Change is sometimes necessary, whether due to financial reasons, or the mix and culture in the room. But sometimes it’s important to do everything possible to keep a group together, when they’re tight knit, on and off the ice, as those friendships can be what holds a team together, and makes guys willing to “go through the wall” for each other.

It’s a tough task for management, as the dollars are limited, and there’s a lot of cap gymnastics required to keep everyone here. But hopefully they’ll find a way. And hopefully, part of that will be the guys with pending extensions being willing to take a little less money, to stay here and win with teammates and friends they truly seem to care deeply about.

Vegas is learning this exact lesson right now.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I noticed Petey consoling Brock during the tough round of questions he faced today. I also saw a death glare shot out (from Quinn too)...they've got his back. 

Here Brock is surrounded by brothers who know his situation and who care for him. Changing teams means introducing yourself to new teammates and the level of comfort he has here would take awhile to generate elsewhere. Here Brock can just "be" but in a room full of strangers it could be awkward to go through this emotional trauma while trying to fit in and adapt to new surroundings.

He's home (away from home) here, and I hope he stays. For our sake and his. His best is yet to come, but under this adversity it's amazing that he was coming on like he was.

Playing hockey through this can't be easy but it can also offer a bit of a release...both physically and mentally. It's heart wrenching to see him in pain like he is...family is everything and there's just no easing this pain. He's a helluva man/son by all accounts and he's faced so much tragedy already in his young life. It speaks volumes about his character in how he handles it all...with class, grace and undeniable strength and dignity.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

The more you see this team together, the more you think that you have to bring Brock back and sign him up. This team is starting to play for each other, guys like Petey, Hughes, Bo and Brock have gone through a lot already.

Getting rid of a guy now when he's going through what he is sends a sour message across the organization. If there's ever a time management should look out for one of their young players, it's now.

On-ice-wise, one year of an added 1.5ishM compared to what he's worth is nothing if we can sign him longer-term afterwards to something like 5.5M. You know he'll improve and make it worth it.

If he doesn't and he's still a 25ish goal scorer, that's not that big a deal. Heck, if he's in his late 20s and still a 25ish goal scorer, by all means trade him then. But not now when he's still young, the team is bonding and he's going through it.

no it doesn't.  These guys have been dealing with losing teammates since they were teenagers, they understand it's a business and they deal with it and move on.

Just now, stawns said:

no it doesn't.  These guys have been dealing with losing teammates since they were teenagers, they understand it's a business and they deal with it and move on.

Not all players are equal in their contribution to team culture. I can promise you that Petey would be absolutely gutted if we traded Brock. They're best friends. Would he deal with it and move on? Probably, but don't expect it to be an easy change. Like everyone, they're human and can be negatively affected by stuff like that, just like Brock probably was with his dad's really poor health.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Not all players are equal in their contribution to team culture. I can promise you that Petey would be absolutely gutted if we traded Brock. They're best friends. Would he deal with it and move on? Probably, but don't expect it to be an easy change. Like everyone, they're human and can be negatively affected by stuff like that, just like Brock probably was with his dad's really poor health.

Didn't say he wouldn't be disappointed.  I said it wouldn't send a sour message to the other players.......they're professionals and they've all had best buddies traded from teams before.  

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

Didn't say he wouldn't be disappointed.  I said it wouldn't send a sour message to the other players.......they're professionals and they've all had best buddies traded from teams before.  

True, but Brock is in a really sensitive and difficult situation, so I don't think a trade would do him very well right now and the rest of our team knows that. It's not unheard of for teams and GMs to go out of their way to do favours for players in tough situations (see Carey Price for one of many examples). Sure, you can just trade him away and state business is business, but if I'm a player, that sends a message to me that business comes before the people, and if I'm a UFA, I'm now less interested in working for the Canucks with those kind of values.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Brock called Petan "Petey" while I was away, so we are not on the best of terms anymore...  -_-

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

True, but Brock is in a really sensitive and difficult situation, so I don't think a trade would do him very well right now and the rest of our team knows that. It's not unheard of for teams and GMs to go out of their way to do favours for players in tough situations (see Carey Price for one of many examples). Sure, you can just trade him away and state business is business, but if I'm a player, that sends a message to me that business comes before the people, and if I'm a UFA, I'm now less interested in working for the Canucks with those kind of values.

Of course business comes first, that's not some big secret.  Owners know it, GMs know it, coaches know it, agents know it and players know it.