The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[TRADE] EDDIE TO CAROLINA

Stix

Is this based on the what 2 games you got to watch Talbot play? If you would have actually watched any rangers games you would have saw that Talbot stood on his head, giving the rangers the best chance to win most nights.

I think it has everything to do with you being a canucks fan.

That's ok though. I think Markstrom is a better goalie than Lack. We will see next year as both guys are still back ups.

Lack stood on his head too. He did it with a way lesser D in front of him

You can tell Benning is being honest when he's pretty much saying nobody wanted lack over I've lehner or talbot so I understand the situation they were in and they couldn't wait any longer because the well might have completely dried up.

It was a horrible situation and he made the most of it BUT his next move better be a slam dunk or he's gonna have this whole city jump down his throat

Good chance Gillaume Brisebois will never play a single game for the Canucks. Or any other NHL team for that matter. History has shown that 3rd round picks rarely make it to the NHL

Oh yes, turning on our newly acquired (since yesterday) prospects already.

You can tell Benning is being honest when he's pretty much saying nobody wanted lack over I've lehner or talbot so I understand the situation they were in and they couldn't wait any longer because the well might have completely dried up.

It was a horrible situation and he made the most of it BUT his next move better be a slam dunk or he's gonna have this whole city jump down his throat

The large majority of GMs in eastern time zones don't see a lot of Canucks games so unless their scouting a player specifically they really have no clue

Jim benning is having a really bad draft. Our team is dieing and unfortunately benning is making it a painful long death rather than an honey able quick one.

This was an epic fail of a draft!

Boeser did not look excited to be drafted here, we left Juulsen and Harkins on the table and you cannot argue that they are all that different from each other talent wise.

Picks were being traded all around us and we didn't get a 2nd

We flubbed a trade disrespecting one of our vets that has given a lot to this franchise and city

Our competitors got better immediately

A franchise d man got traded to our division rival and we could have made a better offer.

I would have traded Edler for the guy, even Tanev and our first! He's almost a Norris candidate now!

The fact that Benning spent so much time on the Luc trade tells you he has no clue how to build this team

I truly fear the worst for this franchise - years of asset mismanagement

Not to mention linden said if Boesser wasn't avsilable they would have traded down.

So JB is telling us, not only does he like Boeser way more than any other player in that range, he rather have Boeser than two players in that range!

So JB rather have Boeser than Harkins and Dunn?

Harkins and Andersson?

Andersson and Kylington?

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!

This reminds me so much of the Dave nonis drafts where we pick someone not very happy about coming to our franchise and overall drafts some strange picks.

What a magician he is. He got a player the Hawks were going to lose because they wouldn't get him through waivers this sept for a young promising player who shined at the World JR's. How does he do it?

No, you said a third round draft pick likely never plays. I am saying he drafted a player in the fifth round that gave us a player back who did play in the NHL and has a promising career. You can't then say that fifth round pick was good because it undermines your point about the third round pick we got this season for Lack.

Luongo was worked into the ground his first two seasons here. He didn't want any nights off and only was given nights off his third season here after he lost his edge down the stretch in season two. Luongo also won 47 games his first year in Vancouver and single-handedly willed the team into the playoffs. He then had a spectacular showing in the playoffs which cynics remember for the way the Anaheim series ended. He had been standing on his head until that goal. There is zero comparison between Lack and Luongo. Lou played 149 regular season games in his first two seasons. Lack would not make it through that workload. I don't think any goalie will again with the exception of a Carey Price who is superhuman.

Funny how any time the mighty Roberto Luongo is mentioned here the word "singlehandedly" always seems to crop up. Since Eddie played just about every single game down the stretch and we got into the playoffs I would assume that you would agree with me that he "singlehandedly" got us into the playoffs this year, especially when you factor in the fact that we had no Hart trophy or Art Ross trophy winners on our team like Lou had more than once in his tenure here ... and Eddie had exactly the same save % as the mighty Lou. And what is this "Lou played 149 regular season games in his first two seasons" nonsense? The fact is that he actually played 71 games in his first two seasons (11 less than Eddie did in HIS first two seasons). Of course what you meant was his first two seasons AS A CANUCK which were, of course, his SEVENTH and EIGHTH seasons in the NHL. Lou had exactly one season in Vancouver where his save % was better than Eddie's this year and he had a far better team in front of him (never mind the fact that he was coddled mercilessly by Canuck management). Yet Lou is a God who "singlehandedly" did everything for this team (except lose of course; that was always the fault of our defence) whereas Eddie is just a duff backup. Me I hope Eddie pulls an Irbe and wins a Cup with the Canes. He has been well and truly "Skudra-ed" by this organisation. Oh well at least all the advocates of tanking for a high pick should be happy with this one. For those of us who hate that idea the last couple of days have been truly disappointing and the future looks pretty bleak.

A franchise d man got traded to our division rival and we could have made a better offer.

LOL, unless we packaged Horvat and the 23rd I highly doubt it. Even then Boston probably wouldnt have done it. You can blame Gillis for strapping this team with aging vets with term and NTCs. Even if we beat Calgary's offer by giving up 2 first round draft picks (2015 and 2016), there is signficant risk that we don't make the playoffs next season and next years first round draft pick would be quite high. We are also up against the cap, which means even if a trade for Dougie Hamilton was made by the Canucks, they'd be opening themselves up to have him signing an offer sheet we couldn't match.

Boston was looking to free cap space, why would they take Edler or Tanev. That would be a lateral/backward move. Boston obviously had an idea of what type of term and dollars Dougie was looking for and couldn't or wouldn't commit to it.

Its quite likely Calgary or other team told Boston they were prepared to offer sheet Dougie and were prepared to give up a First, Second and Third round picks in next years draft. Boston panicked and took the First and 2 seconds in this year's draft.

Funny how any time the mighty Roberto Luongo is mentioned here the word "singlehandedly" always seems to crop up. Since Eddie played just about every single game down the stretch and we got into the playoffs I would assume that you would agree with me that he "singlehandedly" got us into the playoffs this year, especially when you factor in the fact that we had no Hart trophy or Art Ross trophy winners on our team like Lou had more than once in his tenure here ... and Eddie had exactly the same save % as the mighty Lou. And what is this "Lou played 149 regular season games in his first two seasons" nonsense? The fact is that he actually played 71 games in his first two seasons (11 less than Eddie did in HIS first two seasons). Of course what you meant was his first two seasons AS A CANUCK which were, of course, his SEVENTH and EIGHTH seasons in the NHL. Lou had exactly one season in Vancouver where his save % was better than Eddie's this year and he had a far better team in front of him (never mind the fact that he was coddled mercilessly by Canuck management). Yet Lou is a God who "singlehandedly" did everything for this team (except lose of course; that was always the fault of our defence) whereas Eddie is just a duff backup. Me I hope Eddie pulls an Irbe and wins a Cup with the Canes. He has been well and truly "Skudra-ed" by this organisation. Oh well at least all the advocates of tanking for a high pick should be happy with this one. For those of us who hate that idea the last couple of days have been truly disappointing and the future looks pretty bleak.

Yes, single-handedly is the right term because the Canucks had no business being in the playoffs. They couldn't score.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006%E2%80%9307_Vancouver_Canucks_season

The fact he was runner up for Vezina doesn't matter then? Lack is simply not in Luongo's league and he won't be. Luongo was 28 when he had that amazing season in 2006-07 so he was roughly the same age as Lack is now. I am not putting Lack down by saying that. There has never been depth in the NHL as there is now in net. Save percentages are up league wide.

I am not in favor of any sort of tanking and I think trading Lack is just what had to be done right now. It is a fair return because that is what was offered. There will be other goaltenders available if Markstrom flops. "The sky is falling" is incorrect.

This was an epic fail of a draft!

Boeser did not look excited to be drafted here, we left Juulsen and Harkins on the table and you cannot argue that they are all that different from each other talent wise.

Just like people overreacted that McCann was not happy to be drafted by the Canucks?

Amazing how people immediatelty know a person well enough in the first few minutes, that they can they tell exactly what they're thinking.

Juulsen and Harkins were clearly not deemed highly enough to be 2nd round picks. We've drafted enough safe picks like Harkns already, and Juulsen would have been nice but we couldn't justify taking him at 23.

I hope he does well there. Great guy and he deserves it. He entertained us for a couple years and that was enough to makes us see the potential and how likeable he is. Sure, we could have kept him and not signed Miller or traded Miller, but at the end of the day you have to appreciate how the Canucks are giving all these players fantastic opportunities.

I think the way the Canucks handled this situation was classy, smart, and entertaining. We as fans should be happy for Lack and look forward to what's in store for the future with regards to our goaltending. Unfortunately Eriksson is no longer with us, but Markstrom and Cannata are. We will probably have to sign another goaltender as well before welcoming Demko, a 2014 draft choice into pro hockey.

Hopefully the new goaltenders are as entertaining as Lack has been for us in that brief time, and hopefully Miller is up to the challenge of perhaps playing a few more games in the upcoming season if Markstrom isn't quite ready, god-forbid. But Markstrom has been compared to Ben Bishop, so there is that. With any luck, we'll have the goaltending needed to make the playoffs again in the 2015-16 season. If not, that's okay. It will be another noteworthy and entertaining season regardless of the outcome.

Just like people overreacted that McCann was not happy to be drafted by the Canucks?

Amazing how people immediatelty know a person well enough in the first few minutes, that they can they tell exactly what they're thinking.

Juulsen and Harkins were clearly not deemed highly enough to be 2nd round picks. We've drafted enough safe picks like Harkns already, and Juulsen would have been nice but we couldn't justify taking him at 23.

This.. people forget we also need scoring in our prospects this kid looks like he has just what the Dr ordered. Benning says the way he plays and shoots reminds him of Joe Pavelski. How is Harkins shot compared to Boeser?

Archived