The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

NHL'er

6 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

If he was smart he'd sign this year. If the Canucks were smart they would offer him a contract this season. He's at least good enough to play in the AHL. If he isn't interested in making 70k to play pro hockey instead of a 3rd year of college then that's a bit weird. I wish that Boeser would have turned pro already, but he is going to turn this franchise on its ear so that's ok. Kesler was a disgrace to team USA, but these kids we have coming up are going to fit right in around here.

No it's better to stay for another year so you can become a better player and deman more money down the road rather than sign early and become a college burnout. 

Just now, suitup said:

No it's better to stay for another year so you can become a better player and deman more money down the road rather than sign early and become a college burnout. 

I keep hearing this rhetoric about he needs to gain weight to become an effective player. When you look at the players that have had success without having the strength and weight behind them it is a more recent phenomenon. Johnny Gaudreau is probably the lightest and there are too many to list now. There isn't a substitute for skill and desire. If a player has those and can skate, there's a chance he'll make the NHL

28 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

I keep hearing this rhetoric about he needs to gain weight to become an effective player. When you look at the players that have had success without having the strength and weight behind them it is a more recent phenomenon. Johnny Gaudreau is probably the lightest and there are too many to list now. There isn't a substitute for skill and desire. If a player has those and can skate, there's a chance he'll make the NHL

Yeah but Johnny Gaudreau isn't a gritty, two-way player who plays the type of game that requires more weight. Even then, he's around 184, he can afford to put on 10 pounds. Two very different players.

That's like saying Lucic doesn't need his weight and strength in order to be an effective player. 

Edited by suitup

3 minutes ago, suitup said:

Yeah but Johnny Gaudreau isn't a gritty, two-way player who plays the type of game that requires more weight. Even then, he's around 184, he can afford to put on 10 pounds. 

He was listed at 6'1" and 184 pounds a year ago and I would hope he is maybe a couple of pounds heavier now. A good training regimen over the summer and I would suspect he should be in the 195 - 200 pound range.....pretty decent size even for an NHL'er. I suspect that strength may be of more concern right now than weight though.

Just now, Rick Blight said:

He was listed at 6'1" and 184 pounds a year ago and I would hope he is maybe a couple of pounds heavier now. A good training regimen over the summer and I would suspect he should be in the 195 - 200 pound range.....pretty decent size even for an NHL'er. I suspect that strength may be of more concern right now than weight though.

He's listed as that this year as well. Regardless of how much strength/weight he could gain in the summer, it's a good idea to stay in college for another year. He's been playing great this year, but next year would be better for Gaudette as he will have the opportunity to play a bigger role. 

2 minutes ago, suitup said:

He's listed as that this year as well. Regardless of how much strength/weight he could gain in the summer, it's a good idea to stay in college for another year. He's been playing great this year, but next year would be better for Gaudette as he will have the opportunity to play a bigger role. 

He may benefit from another year but take this for what it is worth.

February 2017 – Gaudette continues to have an amazing sophomore season. The shoot-first center leads the nation in power-play markers with 14 and in shots on goal with 146 – 4.56 per contest. He is riding a 21-point, 12-game point streak (8+13) and sits sixth in the nation for points (51) and fifth for points per game (1.58). It should be fully expected that the 2015 fifth-rounder will turn pro at the end of Northeastern's season but whether he goes straight to Vancouver or signs a PTO with the Utica Comets of the AHL is still undetermined. Cam Robinson

http://www.dobberprospects.com/adam-gaudette/

21 minutes ago, suitup said:

Yeah but Johnny Gaudreau isn't a gritty, two-way player who plays the type of game that requires more weight. Even then, he's around 184, he can afford to put on 10 pounds. Two very different players.

That's like saying Lucic doesn't need his weight and strength in order to be an effective player. 

Gaudreau was the lightest. I didn't mean for him to be the typical forward in the comparison scenario. We maybe forget that Gaudette is already 20. Does he need those same development years or has he already got them under his belt?

I love Gaudette's game, but his numbers are a bit inflated thanks to his PP goals. School record, and a lot of tap ins on rebounds or cross ice passes. If you follow some of the stats guys there is a theory out there that PP goals are the least important of the 3 points available while teams are working the man advantage. Opposite for 5v5 though.

That means that Gaudettes 15 power play goals are great, but aren't as impactful as Sikuras 21 power play assists. I know this seems backwards with the theory of primary points being the most important, but the powerplay is a different beast.

Gaudette is a great prospect, and leads the NCAA in shots on goal which is amazing cause we need people to shoot lol.

For some perspective from last year:
Connor had 10 pp goals and 24 pp points in 38 games.
Motte had 7 pp goals and 17 pp points in 38 games.
Boeser had 5 powerplay goals last year, and only 11 powerplay points in 42 games.
Jimmy Vesey had 6 pp goals and 14 power play points in 33 games.
Cagguila had 3 pp goals and 10 pp points in 44 games

Gaudette has 24 pp points in 34 games and a total of 51 points
Connor had 24 pp points in 38 games and a total of 71 points

(We all know he's not Connor, but they had similar power play totals so it's an easy comparison)

As you can see what Gaudette is doing on the power play is top class, but that doesn't translate as well as 5v5. Kyle Connor was the shooter for the CCM line on the Powerplay, and he has 12 goals in 34 games in the AHL this year with 4 on the pp.

Breaking Records
Gaudette only needs 2 more pp goals to have more than any other player in the NCAA over the last 5 years in a single season. That is pretty astounding considering he is only a sophomore, so it's not a bad thing, but also not something that any of the other top players to play in the NCAA in the last 5 years has done. Maybe he is such an exception that other players will one day try to catch his record, or maybe it's a bit of an anomaly that should tell us to be conservative about expectations.

Edited by Derp...
  • Upvote 4

35 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

Gaudreau was the lightest. I didn't mean for him to be the typical forward in the comparison scenario. We maybe forget that Gaudette is already 20. Does he need those same development years or has he already got them under his belt?

Just from watching him play, I personally believe he should get those development years. He's racking up points, but they only serve as the basis of how well a player is doing. Gaudette is strong in all three zones and has improved in every facet of his game, but I really think that he's still quite raw. I would like to see him repeat what he has done this year before expecting him to be able to jump into the AHL and dominate. 

10 minutes ago, Derp... said:

I love Gaudette's game, but his numbers are a bit inflated thanks to his PP goals. School record, and a lot of tap ins on rebounds or cross ice passes. If you follow some of the stats guys there is a theory out there that PP goals are the least important of the 3 points available while teams are working the man advantage. Opposite for 5v5 though.

That means that Gaudettes 15 power play goals are great, but aren't as impactful as Sikuras 21 power play assists. I know this seems backwards with the theory of primary points being the most important, but the powerplay is a different beast.

Gaudette is a great prospect, and leads the NCAA in shots on goal which is amazing cause we need people to shoot lol.

For some perspective from last year:
Connor had 10 pp goals and 24 pp points in 38 games.
Motte had 7 pp goals and 17 pp points in 38 games.
Boeser had 5 powerplay goals last year, and only 11 powerplay points in 42 games.
Jimmy Vesey had 6 pp goals and 14 power play points in 33 games.
Cagguila had 3 pp goals and 10 pp points in 44 games

Gaudette has 24 pp points in 34 games and a total of 51 points
Connor had 24 pp points in 38 games and a total of 71 points

(We all know he's not Connor, but they had similar power play totals so it's an easy comparison)

As you can see what Gaudette is doing on the power play is top class, but that doesn't translate as well as 5v5. Kyle Connor was the shooter for the CCM line on the Powerplay, and he has 12 goals in 34 games in the AHL this year with 4 on the pp.

Breaking Records
Gaudette only needs 2 more pp goals to have more than any other player in the NCAA over the last 5 years in a single season. That is pretty astounding considering he is only a sophomore, so it's not a bad thing, but also not something that any of the other top players to play in the NCAA in the last 5 years has done. Maybe he is such an exception that other players will one day try to catch his record, or maybe it's a bit of an anomaly that should tell us to be conservative about expectations.

Thanks for the in-depth analysis Derp! I would say the eye-test would agree with your conclusion that we shouldn't get caught up in the hype just yet. Although Gaudette has been getting many cross ice passes and tap-ins, he's not just a benefactor from those plays as when you watch him play you'll notice that he does very good job working with the other members on generating that opportunity that led to the goal. Also hockey IQ is one of his biggest assets, so him being able to score by getting open might just translate give he plays with the right players. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

If he was smart he'd sign this year. If the Canucks were smart they would offer him a contract this season. He's at least good enough to play in the AHL. If he isn't interested in making 70k to play pro hockey instead of a 3rd year of college then that's a bit weird. I wish that Boeser would have turned pro already, but he is going to turn this franchise on its ear so that's ok. Kesler was a disgrace to team USA, but these kids we have coming up are going to fit right in around here.

How so? He's one of the top two way players in the game

6 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

Benning said he would be signing "a couple of our college players" at the post TDL press conference. I would assume he was referring to Gaudette and Boeser.

So it sounds like Gaudette will be turning pro this spring.

Definitely getting more of that sense

from Benning's last few statements alluding to Gaudette. Especially compared to what Linden had said a little while back.

8 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

Benning said he would be signing "a couple of our college players" at the post TDL press conference. I would assume he was referring to Gaudette and Boeser.

1 minute ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Definitely getting more of that sense

from Benning's last few statements alluding to Gaudette. Especially compared to what Linden had said a little while back.

Sure would be nice for Utica next year. Adding Gaudette and Dahlen alone would do wonders to the forward corps.

Plus likely one of Virtanen/Boeser.

Edited by J.R.

7 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

Didn't Linden just meet with Gaudette and it was basically decided another year in College to get bigger and stronger before turning pro was the best choice of action?

1 minute ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Didn't Linden just meet with Gaudette and it was basically decided another year in College to get bigger and stronger before turning pro was the best choice of action?

Well I guess he could have been referring to Boeser and the freshman Lockwood, but that doesn't really make any sense, unless he is struggling with the books or just doesn't like school. He is far from a developed college prospect yet.

14 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

Well I guess he could have been referring to Boeser and the freshman Lockwood, but that doesn't really make any sense, unless he is struggling with the books or just doesn't like school. He is far from a developed college prospect yet.

Ya that's def odd Benning said they were going to sign 2 NCAA prospects. Maybe Lockwood because Michigan sucks? Except he seems pretty physically immature still so it doesn't really make sense.

Be amazing to sign Gaudette though, I hope it is Boeser and Gaudette Benning is talking about.

Boeser

Gaudette

Goldobin

Dahlen

That would be a serious influx of skill in our organization.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Ya that's def odd Benning said they were going to sign 2 NCAA prospects. Maybe Lockwood because Michigan sucks? Except he seems pretty physically immature still so it doesn't really make sense.

Be amazing to sign Gaudette though, I hope it is Boeser and Gaudette Benning is talking about.

Boeser

Gaudette

Goldobin

Dahlen

That would be a serious influx of skill in our organization.

Of course it's possible that we're parsing his words too carefully and he's really talking about Boeser and someone like Kerfoot or Aston-Reese?