The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lukas Jasek | RW

9 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Second game without scoring.

Now sits at 6 points (2G 4A) in 5 GP in the AHL.

I was too busy to watch but sounds like Jašek continued to be involved and create some good chances last game:

“Jasek skated across the high slot and fired a shot on net against the flow of play that nearly fooled Pasquale, but the netminder managed to come up with the save.”

“Jalen Chatfield followed up by jumping into a seam to take a nice pass from Lukas Jasek, but the Chatfield shot was blocked.”

“Lukas Jasek had a backhander turned aside by Pasquale.”

“Michael Chaput ripped a shot on net and Pasquale dove out to cover it up with Lukas Jasek lurking close by looking for garbage.”

https://canucksarmy.com/2018/04/13/canucksarmy-utica-comets-post-game-syracuse-crunch-down-the-comets-2-1-in-overtime-kole-lind-has-best-game-as-a-comets/

Maybe Jasek is starting to cool off after his hot start. Let's see what he can do now....

1 hour ago, Derp... said:

Just regressing back to the mean. He wasn't going to score every night for the rest of the season.

You mean 2 points per game wasn’t sustainable? ;) 

As you correctly point out, it was inevitable that he’d stop his streak at some point. And while the Comets certainly could have used some goals from Jašek in his last two games, their entire team struggled to put pucks past Pasquale, losing 1-0 and 2-1 to Syracuse.

So in the games Jašek has been shut out, the Comets as a team have scored a total of 1 goal.

It’d be a bit different if Utica had scored 5-6 goals in those two games and Jašek hadn’t registered a point.

And despite not scoring, he’s still remained, by all accounts, one of the better Comets and produced several good scoring chances. IIRC he set up a disallowed goal and had another excellent chance in tight in the first game (as well as a few other scoring opportunities), and my post earlier had a summary (from Cory Hergott) of Jašek’s more notable chances in the second game. With better puck luck (EDIT: in his last two—obviously the puck luck was just fine for his first few games ;)), Jašek could very well be riding a five game scoring streak.

But luck will always eventually succumb to the math (aka regression) and he was never going to sustain that 2 points per game pace.

He has, however, looked a lot like maybe a 1 PPG player (and he’s still above that with 6 points in 5GP), which is pretty darn good.

Also positive is the fact he joined the “sure things” group of healthy scratches that were rested for this last game. If Jašek hadn’t already impressed Cull, I’d bet he’d have still played last game so that the coaches could continue to evaluate him and make a decision (on where he fits into their roster for the playoffs). Instead, he seems to have quickly established himself as one of the more valuable players on the team.

This last game may have been one of those rare situations where a healthy scratch is a good sign. Like a “you’ve made the team, kid” (at least for the coming playoffs—he still needs a contract for next season) kind of signal where Jašek staying back in Utica with guys like Goldie/Demko/Sautner/etc means that he’s done enough to be considered one of the important players on the roster, rather than just one of the new guys on an audition.

You look at the list of guys the Cull tapped for a “rest day” heading into the playoffs, and IMO it’s a clear positive for Jašek to find himself listed among the other names of the healthy scratches.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

Lukas Jasek is such a surprise 7pts - 6 games

Dahlen 2pts - 2 games

Lind   1 pt  - 6 games

Go young guns....

You forgot Motte.  Massive game from another "young gun".   He was in beast mode.

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

Lukas Jasek is such a surprise 7pts - 6 games

Dahlen 2pts - 2 games

Lind   1 pt  - 6 games

Go young guns....

In Lind's defence.  He is younger and the Czech Pro league is a few rungs up on the WHL lol.

Posters on HFBoards keep suggesting that Jašek’s Czech contract is an obstacle to getting him signed.

Personally, I keep referring back to an article from Law in Sports (online journal), where the following is stated:

“While the NHL club would retain the exclusive rights for that player in the NHL, the player may still be able to play for an IIHF member league. Often, players who are drafted by NHL clubs are not ready to compete at the NHL level. Therefore, it is common for NHL clubs to allow their players to play for a club in an IIHF member league. Thus, the drafting NHL club could allow the player to develop his skills while playing for an IIHF member league. However, if this were to occur, the NHL club would require that the player contract between the player and an IIHF club would include a termination clause. This termination clause would come into effect if the player and the NHL club agree to a player contract.21

To me, that reads like it would be the norm for the Canucks to have demanded that Jašek (as their draft property) have a termination clause written into any contract signed with an IIHF member league after he was drafted.

The current deal with Liberec would be exactly that, so I tend to think Jašek must have a termination clause that would be activated as soon as he signed an NHL ELC.

Others, like those on HFBoards, don’t seem to agree. They think Vancouver needs negotiate a release and buy out the Czech contract.

Anyone have any practical experience in these matters? 

2 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Posters on HFBoards keep suggesting that Jašek’s Czech contract is an obstacle to getting him signed.

Personally, I keep referring back to an article from Law in Sports (online journal), where the following is stated:

“While the NHL club would retain the exclusive rights for that player in the NHL, the player may still be able to play for an IIHF member league. Often, players who are drafted by NHL clubs are not ready to compete at the NHL level. Therefore, it is common for NHL clubs to allow their players to play for a club in an IIHF member league. Thus, the drafting NHL club could allow the player to develop his skills while playing for an IIHF member league. However, if this were to occur, the NHL club would require that the player contract between the player and an IIHF club would include a termination clause. This termination clause would come into effect if the player and the NHL club agree to a player contract.21

To me, that reads like it would be the norm for the Canucks to have demanded that Jašek (as their draft property) have a termination clause written into any contract signed with an IIHF member league after he was drafted.

The current deal with Liberec would be exactly that, so I tend to think Jašek must have a termination clause that would be activated as soon as he signed an NHL ELC.

Others, like those on HFBoards, don’t seem to agree. They think Vancouver needs negotiate a release and buy out the Czech contract.

Anyone have any practical experience in these matters? 

Those on HF Boards tend to be morons.  That’s my practical experience.  :frantic:

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

From yours and others' reports since we drafted him, it seems his development has been rather erratic the way he's been used (and not used) in Europe.  By the way he's performed in Utica so far, I would think the Canucks will pursue whatever angle possible to sign him and keep him here, and that should include getting him out of whatever contract he may still have over there.

24 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Those on HF Boards tend to be morons.  That’s my practical experience.  :frantic:

Yeah, I know. It’s just they do have a sprinkling of folks who post there who actually know what they’re talking about (like a few former players, scouts, coaches, and staff).

Not sure the HF posters on Jašek actually know anything. But they sure like to represent themselves as if they do.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

9 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Yes.

Its my experience that no matter what.

HF boards will determine Benning and Linden will have screwed this up.  No matter the outcome

Yeah probably.

One poster over there is pushing a story that Benning has tried and failed several times over the past year to get a contract done on Jašek and Liberec has blocked him at every move.

This doesn’t really add up (at least from what I know).

Most likely, they’re conflating Liberec with Trinec (who were pretty uncooperative with Vancouver and Jašek when it came to him pursuing options over here).

But Trinec was the club that pretty much “owned” Jašek since he was a young kid, and had him under a junior contact from well before he was drafted. So it’s quite likely that his deal with them didn’t include a termination clause. His deal with Liberec was signed as a free agent (as far as his status in the Czech league) and while he was under the NHL Draft rights of the Canucks. I’d expect both Vancouver and Jašek made sure he had a out clause in his new deal.

So I’m pretty suspicious of the information being pushed over at HFBoards (when it comes to Jašek).

But it does fit into the whole “Dim Jim” narrative that the dominant group on HFCanucks seems to be enamoured with.

I suspect that these HF posters have just cobbled together some bits and pieces from various facts and opinions, plus a whole lot of speculation and fiction, and created a story to get people worried that Jašek might not get signed and that our “inept” GM is somehow botching the situation.

Personally, I think it’s a just matter of when, and not if, JB signs Jašek an ELC.

And I don’t think there’s going to be much (if any) issues getting him out of that Czech contract.

• Upvote 1