The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Really this is worse than I predicted...

19naslund19

I will try to have factual substance to my post so nobody get their knickers in a bunch....

Fact 1 - Lack traded for what people in the business think is less than fair market value.

Fact 2 - Bieksa situation is a mess now. No fault or blame laid here...but seriously, a week of discussions (evidenced many many reports) and there is "confusion" on the year of the pick. Is this not one thing you would make sure you have agreement on earlier. My god the player went and looked at homes already!!!!

3. Lucic - regardless of whether we needed him or not, why is a failed attempt to get a player having so much insight shared. He is a player on another team (not ours) and what didn't happen shouldn't be discussed. It rarely is.

4. Other teams in our division got a lot better. Yes some will still have gaps, but a few bubble teams from last year are playoff bound let's be honest.

5. Decent but "underwhelming" I would say. Last year they marketed the players they got right away...this crop of players are not as prized by the organization I would say:

And yes we are hearing how hard Benning tried but nothing made sense as predicted.

PS- before you guys bash, I am a lifelong fan, 20 year ticket holder and will continue to be.

I think this week/weekend was an utter failure on the part of out team. I don't think we have the cap space nor want to get anything from FA that will help us improve next year, nor keep up with the division rivals. Yes Bieksa can still be traded by that will be for picks next year (and beyond?) so not going to help this year.

Fact 1 - Lack traded for what people in the business think is less than fair market value.

Fact: No one else was offering any more than this, and we HAD to trade a goalie or we'd lose one on waivers.

Fact 2 - Bieksa situation is a mess now. No fault or blame laid here...but seriously, a week of discussions (evidenced many many reports) and there is "confusion" on the year of the pick. Is this not one thing you would make sure you have agreement on earlier. My god the player went and looked at homes already!!!!

How do you know this wasn't a case of Wilson changing the pick and low-balling at the last second, hoping Benning would take the deal anyways to save face?

3. Lucic - regardless of whether we needed him or not, why is a failed attempt to get a player having so much insight shared. He is a player on another team (not ours) and what didn't happen shouldn't be discussed. It rarely is.

It's the media discussing and speculating that we were in on him. Benning and Linden haven't made any comments on it as far as I've seen/heard.

4. Other teams in our division got a lot better. Yes some will still have gaps, but a few bubble teams from last year are playoff bound let's be honest.

Yes, and how exactly was our management supposed to change that? GM's don't have the ability to veto trades between other teams. How do you think Anaheim or San Jose feel? They didn't get any better either, and San Jose arguably got worse.

5. Decent but "underwhelming" I would say. Last year they marketed the players they got right away...this crop of players are not as prized by the organization I would say:

Boeser seems like a great pick to me. Craig Button had him ranked 9th. Yes Button might be an idiot sometimes, but he has a good eye for talent.

PS- before you guys bash, I am a lifelong fan, 20 year ticket holder and will continue to be.

I think this week/weekend was an utter failure on the part of out team. I don't think we have the cap space nor want to get anything from FA that will help us improve next year, nor keep up with the division rivals. Yes Bieksa can still be traded by that will be for picks next year (and beyond?) so not going to help this year.

Good. We don't need any free agents. We need to put our young players in the lineup and allow them to develop, while seeing what they've got. It doesn't really matter if we make the playoffs this year, because we're not going to be contending for the cup regardless. The better draft pick we get next year, the better, as long as the prospects are developing properly.

Fact: No one else was offering any more than this, and we HAD to trade a goalie or we'd lose one on waivers.

But

How do you know this wasn't a case of Wilson changing the pick and low-balling at the last second, hoping Benning would take the deal anyways to save face?

It's the media discussing and speculating that we were in on him. Benning and Linden haven't made any comments on it as far as I've seen/heard.

Yes, and how exactly was our management supposed to change that? GM's don't have the ability to veto trades between other teams. How do you think Anaheim or San Jose feel? They didn't get any better either, and San Jose arguably got worse.

Boeser seems like a great pick to me. Craig Button had him ranked 9th. Yes Button might be an idiot sometimes, but he has a good eye for talent.

Good. We don't need any free agents. We need to put our young players in the lineup and allow them to develop, while seeing what they've got. It doesn't really matter if we make the playoffs this year, because we're not going to be contending for the cup regardless. The better draft pick we get next year, the better, as long as the prospects are developing properly.

/thread

I will try to have factual substance to my post so nobody get their knickers in a bunch....

And yes we are hearing how hard Benning tried but nothing made sense as predicted.

I just like to point out that being a fan for 20 years doesn't make ones point more valid.

Got a point, make it. It's all good.

Boeser may very well end up a great player.

I wouldn't trust Craig Button however. .we are talking about a former GM who released Marty St. Louis for nothing. ..NOTHING!

Button indirectly cost the Flames a Stanley Cup

Benning was on 1040 saying that he wanted to bring Lucic home and that he worked hard to get it done, but Boston felt LA's deal was better.

Agree on all points. Well written.

And there were rumblings that management were (quietly) irate at Wilson for doing exactly that.

If true, I can say categorically that he is an utter douchebag.

Kevin was already looking at houses for #@$ sakes... so you know it wasn't our side that botched this up... someone over there tried to pooch us and people should know who it was so they can be publicly shamed for being a complete and disingenuous ashzwhole.

Yada yada yada...

Lack is not as good as the other goalies. Hence no other team in the league gave us something better. It's not really up to the management to chose what we want, it's a free market.

The same goes with Bieksa. We want to get rid of him to bring in some new blood. The problem is, he's too bad to get rid of. No one wants him, especially for anything in return.

I think the management would be happy to just let him go for (almost) free to any club that might want to take a chance on him.

Let's face it. We don't have any good or even decent players to gamle with. The ones we've got, we wanna keep!

I think this year is a year of letting the youngsters compete for some roster spots, but no big trades heading our way, and I'm fine with that.

To blame JB for not being able to trade players of no substance is like blaming the weather man for being wrong. That is, no other GM would have made it better.

Archived