The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks to announce Grenier signing tomorrow?

I have had a very busy year and didn't catch any Utica games. Anyone care to offer an NHL comparable for style of play? And perhaps a comparable on an "at best" amount of production?

His ceiling is Matthias with more physicality. Basically a good 3rd line guy who can chip in offensively and bring some physicality.

How many times to people have to repeat this, GAUNCE IS NOT A C.

He has been playing his ENTIRE pro-career as a winger (1 year, but still), he has not played a lick of C in the AHL. How people still get this wrong is baffling.

Yeah I wouldn't read too much into that. Looks like he can play all forward positions.

His ceiling is Matthias with more physicality. Basically a good 3rd line guy who can chip in offensively and bring some physicality.

Thank you. That would be excellent to have a third liner that can lay the body AND get 30 pts.

No. Hank explained it in an interview shortly after he was moved off the 1st line. It wasn't a move to spread out scoring - it was a result of the fact that Vrbata does not provide a forecheck, doesn't really play in the hard areas, meaning it was up to the Sedins to do the heavy lifting to generate space for Vrbata, whereas ideally they have a winger that provides that presence for them. Burrows does exactly that - he gets in hard on the forecheck, he goes to the front of the net, he's also very strong on the boards and the cycle - he's a better fit all things considered, despite Vrbata's right handed shot and ability to finish. Vrbata is ideal for them on the powerplay.

I'm not sure why someone doesn't just pour over the game tapes from when Anson Carter was on the Sedin's wing and figure why he was so successful.

No. Hank explained it in an interview shortly after he was moved off the 1st line. It wasn't a move to spread out scoring - it was a result of the fact that Vrbata does not provide a forecheck, doesn't really play in the hard areas, meaning it was up to the Sedins to do the heavy lifting to generate space for Vrbata, whereas ideally they have a winger that provides that presence for them. Burrows does exactly that - he gets in hard on the forecheck, he goes to the front of the net, he's also very strong on the boards and the cycle - he's a better fit all things considered, despite Vrbata's right handed shot and ability to finish. Vrbata is ideal for them on the powerplay.

Please trade Vrbata. Can't stand these soft players who don't forecheck hard and hang around the top of the slot or above the hash marks waiting for everyone else to do the hard work while they cherry pick. Vrbata was exposed as a lazy ass in the playoffs. The Canucks need to give the younger, albeit unproven, players the opportunity to see what they can do offensively.

Canadiens need scoring and they have two second round draft picks and I believe they have the cap space to take on Vrbata's contract for a year. Vrbata for the Habs' two seconds is a trade I can get behind.

Please trade Vrbata. Can't stand these soft players who don't forecheck hard and hang around the top of the slot or above the hash marks waiting for everyone else to do the hard work while they cherry pick. Vrbata was exposed as a lazy ass in the playoffs. The Canucks need to give the younger, albeit unproven, players the opportunity to see what they can do offensively.

Canadiens need scoring and they have two second round draft picks and I believe they have the cap space to take on Vrbata's contract for a year. Vrbata for the Habs' two seconds is a trade I can get behind.

I love Vrbata - and think he was injured in the playoffs - definitely got his bell rung. I think he has a definite place where he's an outstanding NHLer - it's just a matter of fit as far as I'm concerned. II thought he'd be a great fit with the twins with his pitch and catch possession game, his good two way hockey sense, and his deadly right handed shot - it's just that one missing element that really limits their line. Ideally he has a big, relatively skilled, physical center (like he played with in Arizona - Hanzal) and/or a similar style player on the opposing wing. Vancouver's top 6 don't really feature those types of players - at least not in the present.

I'm not sure why someone doesn't just pour over the game tapes from when Anson Carter was on the Sedin's wing and figure why he was so successful.

They were 2nd liners back then and the defenses back then were weaker. Carter was so wide-open a lot of the time it was a joke. But the WCE was still being focused on by top defenders then and they performed poorly during their decline. Now the Sedins face top defenders every shift and the quality of the NHL's defense as a whole has increased since that Dancin' Anson heyday.

They were 2nd liners back then and the defenses back then were weaker. Carter was so wide-open a lot of the time it was a joke. But the WCE was still being focused on by top defenders then and they performed poorly during their decline. Now the Sedins face top defenders every shift and the quality of the NHL's defense as a whole has increased since that Dancin' Anson heyday.

Even if they were second liners, the effectiveness of what Carter was able to achieve can still be modeled. They were still facing 2nd pairing defencemen which are formidable opponents.

The good news is that soon enough the Sedins will be 2nd liners again and maybe they will find their Anson Carter again.

The good news is that soon enough the Sedins will be 2nd liners again and maybe they will find their Anson Carter again.

This is why I always find it odd when people talk about the Sedins as having a "window". If anything we'll be a better team in a few years with a youthful top line and Sedinery on the 2nd. They're like twin Jagrs, they'll play well into their 40s... and we certainly won't be stopping them.

It's doubtful that any players in our system will be able to do what the Sedins have done as tier 1 top line players, but soon enough our young players will take over (whichever they may be) and we'll have the best second line in hockey.

PS: for this reason they will NEVER be traded

How many times to people have to repeat this, GAUNCE IS NOT A C.

He has been playing his ENTIRE pro-career as a winger (1 year, but still), he has not played a lick of C in the AHL. How people still get this wrong is baffling.

Lol. Gaunce played centre his whole life, was drafted as a centre, started playing in the minors as a centre. But he got moved to the wing ..... ZOMG NEVER BEEN A CENTER YOU GUYS ARE IIIIIIIDIIIIIOTS

Lol. Gaunce played centre his whole life, was drafted as a centre, started playing in the minors as a centre. But he got moved to the wing ..... ZOMG NEVER BEEN A CENTER YOU GUYS ARE IIIIIIIDIIIIIOTS

Off topic but I've seen this "zomg" thing a few times. Is this a typo? Or am I just getting old...?

Grenier's had back to back 17 goal seasons the past 2 years in the A. That's more goals than Kassian and Matthias have ever put up in the A so yea, k.

Grenier won't come close to that in the nhl. Maybe 6 goals.

Matthias had 18 goals and 9 assists this past season in the nhl. We gave him up for free.

Archived