The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo, Schneider, Kesler, Bieksa, Lack = Markstrom, Horvat, Sbisa, Sutter, Dorsett, McCann, 3rd, 3rd, 7th

Zuongo

This is twisted, just because we lost Matthias to free agency doesn't mean we didn't get him

From what we had to what we have, I feel the Canucks brass has mismanaged some assets.

The same assets you say we're mismanaged by Benning, were actually mismanaged by Gillis.

NTCs killed players' value, not trading them when it was time killed players' value.

Those trades are not bad, but imagine if Horvat turned out to be a bust of a pick? Then we would really be screwed. The other deals, as many of you have said, should have an asterisk beside them due to the NTC and salary cap considerations.

Fact is the key pieces are McCann, Horvat and Sutter. These guys need to reach the level that Kass, Lu, and Scneids played at if we wanna call it even.

Fact is the key pieces are McCann, Horvat and Sutter. These guys need to reach the level that KASS, Lu, and Scneids played at if we wanna call it even.

Sutter and Horvat are already on a higher level than KASS

Kesler + 3rd + late 2nd+ forsling for Sutter, Dorsett, Mcann, Sbisa, early 3rd

That's actually a really good trade.

I don't love the trade today, it really makes me wonder about Benning- especially when he calls Sutter "foundational"

He also said Bonino "made other players better" before the Kesler trade was announced

He has an odd appraisal of talent also seen by the contracts he handed out to Sbisa and Dorsett and trading garrison for essentially vey!

He kinda is syndromic- the trades are almost good but not quite

Plus Retained salary on Lou.

So after all these big moves, what do you think of the outcome. I know in the context of these trades its a little different, but value wise are you happy with the return?

You forgot to point out that dumping Kesler, Lou's and Schneids salaries meant we could pick up Vrbata. We also had Matthias but he is as soft as a marshmallow so we let him go. The players I will miss this year are Richardson and Bieksa, but we have picked up some new character in return (anyone from the Sutter family has character written all over them).

I must say that it was distressing at the time to watch Luongo and Schneids go for so little but Gillis did that. Horvat is the gem in this so far, and if Markstrom delivers than we do to. Miller more or less replaces Luongo, the best pick up Benning could have made last off season by far.

You need a couple more years to make judgment on the Schneider and Luongo trades? Regardless of circumstances, we got ripped off in the Kesler deal. I'd rather have an unhappy Kesler than just give him away to a conference rival.

I'm glad your not the GM, just how did kess help the ducks? They were a favorite to win the cup before they got him and then what? They stayed about equal and gave up assets to get him. On the other hand we improved with kess out of the lineup and added a top pick that could be better then kess down the road. We actually robbed the ducks when you think about it and I'm happy that we traded him within our conference, especially considering the fact that that was "the" team he wanted to go to and he would have signed there anyway after he walked for FREE!!!!

The Cory and Lou trades were missteps by MG but Lou had to go and we could have a top end tender in markstrom that we got for him... Not bad? Cory as much as he should have stayed to be our #1 we got Bo and who isn't happy to have him in the lineup.

You need a couple more years to make judgment on the Schneider and Luongo trades? Regardless of circumstances, we got ripped off in the Kesler deal. I'd rather have an unhappy Kesler than just give him away to a conference rival.

Yeah like I said in another thread I would have let him rot till he expanded his list to at least 5 teams. Kesler was a warrior for us but in the end he really was the villain.

I'm glad your not the GM, just how did kess help the ducks? They were a favorite to win the cup before they got him and then what? They stayed about equal and gave up assets to get him. On the other hand we improved with kess out of the lineup and added a top pick that could be better then kess down the road. We actually robbed the ducks when you think about it and I'm happy that we traded him within our conference, especially considering the fact that that was "the" team he wanted to go to and he would have signed there anyway after he walked for FREE!!!!

The Cory and Lou trades were missteps by MG but Lou had to go and we could have a top end tender in markstrom that we got for him... Not bad? Cory as much as he should have stayed to be our #1 we got Bo and who isn't happy to have him in the lineup.

What are you talking about? Kesler didn't help the Ducks? Do you watch hockey? They lost game 7 to the cup champs.

What are you talking about? Kesler didn't help the Ducks? Do you watch hockey? They lost game 7 to the cup champs.

Weren't they already that good before the trade? I'm saying they went from a cup favorite before the trade to a cup favorite after the trade and walked away with nothing. They didn't really get much better with him in the lineup.

They gave up long term assets for short term gain and didn't gain much, I'll take that any day.

Those trades are not bad, but imagine if Horvat turned out to be a bust of a pick? Then we would really be screwed. The other deals, as many of you have said, should have an asterisk beside them due to the NTC and salary cap considerations.

Fact is the key pieces are McCann, Horvat and Sutter. These guys need to reach the level that Kass, Lu, and Scneids played at if we wanna call it even.

I think you have to include Marks, as he may end up being the #1 goalie he was projected to be.

McCann, Horvat, Sutter, Marks for Kes, Schneids and Lu.

McCann, Horvat and Marks reach their potential, that's a very good situation for the Canucks.

Weren't they already that good before the trade? I'm saying they went from a cup favorite before the trade to a cup favorite after the trade and walked away with nothing. They didn't really get much better with him in the lineup.

They gave up long term assets for short term gain and didn't gain much, I'll take that any day.

I see what your saying but Kelser made them stronger there is no doubt. He was a huge reason they got past the first 2 rounds especially against Winnipeg. I think they will win the cup this year. Them or Washington.

2 players who didn't want to be here, a back up goalie, old man Bieksa - Out

Hockey trade which I feel was equal Horvat for Schneider. Horvat has 15 more years, Schneider has 6 maybe 7 more elite years and I don't see New Jersey doing anything with them.

Lack, minimal return compared to the majority of other backups traded over last few years. Lack should be our starter. Not $6 million old man Miller.

Cam Talbot is much better than Lack and the Rangers only got a late 2nd, a late 3rd and some other low picks.

Lack trade was fair value.

Archived