The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Transition

Me_

People have been argueing for a while whether the Canucks are "rebuilding" or "retooling". Heated and justified arguments are made both for and against each style of team evolution.

Behind the endless "passion" of fans and toxicity of local media, Benning and his team seem to go about their business in building a winning team for now and the future.

Here is a compilation of Benning's activity since being hired as the General manager of the Vancouver Canucks:

TRADES

VAN

Brandon Sutter

3rd round 2016 (Earliest of "NYI (BUF)" or VAN pick)

PIT

Nick Bonino

Adam Clendening

2nd round 2016 (ANA)

VAN

Brandon Prust

MTL

Zack Kassian

5th round 2016

VAN

2nd round 2016

ANA

Kevin Bieksa (NTC)

VAN

3rd round (66) 2015

7th round 2016

CAR

Eddie Lack

VAN

Sven Baertschi

CAL

2nd round (53) 2015

VAN

Dustin Jeffrey

NYI

Cory Conacher

VAN

Adam Clendening

CHI

Gustav Frosling

VAN

Andrey Pedan

NYI

Alexandre Mallet

3rd round 2016

VAN

Will Acton

EDM

Kellan Lain

VAN

Linden Vey

LAK

2nd round (50) 2014 (TBL)

VAN

Derek Dorsett

NYR

3rd round (85) 2014 (ANA)

VAN

2nd round (50) 2014

TBL

Jason Garrison (NTC)

Jeff Costello

7th round (204) 2015

VAN

Nick Bonino

Luca Sbisa

1st round (24) 2014

3rd round (85) 2014

ANA

Ryan Kesler (NTC)

3rd round (84) 2015

UFA OUT

Will Acton

Peter Anderson

Darren Archibald

Cory Conacher

Zack Dalpe

Brandon DeFazio

Joacin Eriksson

Benn Ferriero

Shawn Matthias

Brandon McMillan

Cal O'Reilly

Brad Richardson

Bobby Sanguinetti

Mike Santorelli

Jordan Schroeder

Tom Sestito

Ryan Stanton

Jeremy Welsh

Mike Zalewski

UFA IN

Richard Backman

Matt Bartkowski

Taylor Fedun

Blair Jones

Ryan Miller (ltd NTC)

Radim Vrbata (NTC)

Yannick Weber

BUY OUT

David Booth

DRAFT PICKS

1 (6) 2014 - Jake Virtanen (RW)

1 (23) 2015 - Brock Boeser (RW)

1 (24) 2014 - Jared McCann ( C )

2 (36) 2014 - Thatcher Demko (G)

3 (66) 2014 - Nikita Tryamkin (D)

3 (66) 2015 - Guillaume Brisebois (D)

4 (114) 2015 - Dmitry Zhukenov ( C )

5 (126) 2014 - Gustav Frosling (traded)

5 (144) 2015 - Carl Neil (D)

5 (149) 2015 - Adam Gaudette ( C )

6 (156) 2014 - Kyle Pettit ( C )

6 (174) 2015 - Lukas Jasek (RW)

7 (186) 2014 - Mackenze Stewart (D)

7 (210) 2015 - Tate Olson (D)

LAST GILLIS ROSTER

13 April, 2014 vs CAL

D. SEDIN (NMC) - H. SEDIN (NMC) - BURROWS (NTC)

BOOTH - KESLER (NTC) - JENSEN

HANSEN - MATTHIAS - KASSIAN

ZALEWSKI - RICHARDSON - DALPE

Sestito

Higgins (NTC) (IR)

EDLER (NTC) - BIEKSA (NTC)

GARRISON (NTC) - WEBER

STANTON - CORRADO

MARKSTROM

LACK

Hamhuis (NTC) (IR)

BENNING'S CURRENT ROSTER

6 August, 2015

UFA

TRADE

ROOKIE

BAERTSCHI (T) - SUTTER - VRBATA (NTC)

HIGGINS (NTC) - HORVAT - HANSEN

PRUST - VEY - DORSETT

KENINS

EDLER (NTC) - TANEV

HAMHUIS (NTC) - WEBER

SBISA - BARTKOWSKI

CORRADO

MILLER (ltd NTC)

MARKSTROM

For the people who thinks Benning isn't tanking the team fast enough, the good news is, Benning isn't tanking the team. For the people who think this is a rebuild, perhaps in parts, as much as it also is a retool.

Benning is building a new core of players that will be competing for top spots and play for Cups year after year. For that to happen, the team has to make the playoffs. They will make the playoffs. They will be hungrier than the bunch Gillis assembled and then let rot away. They will be stronger willed.

Baertschi, Horvat, Kenins, Corrado and Markstrom are the most likely to stick with the team this year; they could not have been playing for the Canucks if all the old NTCs were still handicapping the team. That's five spots that were not available to anyone coming up during Gillis' term as the General manager. That's five sports open for kids who will develop well and with loads of confidence thanks to a system where some short-contract vets will protect upcoming young players until they can comfortably take over.

Sutter, Prust, Dorsett and Sbisa are excellent pieces acquired in the trades Benning made. There's a lot of sandpaper in those guys; something Gillis' teams didn't have or had too little of, especially in the playoffs. Gillis even tried to convince us that heavyweights are on their way out of the game.

Granted nowadays heavyweights have to be able to skate and contribute in other ways, but when Calgary players are having fighting lessons at practice in order to annihilate fear and doubt in their collective souls, when Brown runs our goalies, and when Keith's elbow becomes part of a game, I feel better knowing that Desjardins can send a line that can include Dorset, Prust on offense and Sbisa and Bartkowski on defense.

Sutter is a special case. He is the actual replacement for Kesler. With Horvat's development, either can take on the 2C or 3C spots. I suspect we'll see them alternate positions from time to time. Most of all, no more Kesler bullying kids out of the lineup and refusing to give his spot up at 2C.

Only 9 players, or 42% of the players are left from Gillis' last show to Benning's current team with Hamhuis on his way out. Also of importance, the Gillis-Era front office has now been fully cleared. No more capology, advanced statistics above all, signing cheap contracts on longer term.

I don't call this team's philosophy anything. I'm not labeling it. All component parts of the organization are becoming more fluid as the weeks go by. The team as a whole is evolving by employing all tools available whether it is hiring, firing, trades, drafts, trading drafts, trading for draft picks or prospects, trading stale players, promotion or any other tool available to an NHL organization.

What Benning has been able to accomplish in a year is beyond what most GMs can put together in a whole term with a team.

People have been argueing for a while whether the Canucks are "rebuilding" or "retooling". Heated and justified arguments are made both for and against each style of team evolution.

Behind the seemigly helpless anger of fans and toxicity of local media, Benning and his team seem to go about their business in building a winning team for now and the future.

Here is a compilation of Benning's activity since being hired as the General manager of the Vancouver Canucks:

TRADES

VAN

Brandon Sutter

3rd round 2016 (Earliest of "NYI (BUF)" or VAN pick)

PIT

Nick Bonino

Adam Clendening

2nd round 2016 (ANA)

VAN

Brandon Prust

MTL

Zack Kassian

5th round 2016

VAN

2nd round 2016

ANA

Kevin Bieksa (NTC)

VAN

3rd round (66) 2015

7th round 2016

CAR

Eddie Lack

VAN

Sven Baertschi

CAL

2nd round (53) 2015

VAN

Dustin Jeffrey

NYI

Cory Conacher

VAN

Adam Clendening

CHI

Gustav Frosling

VAN

Andrey Pedan

NYI

Alexandre Mallet

3rd round 2016

VAN

Will Acton

EDM

Kellan Lain

VAN

Linden Vey

LAK

2nd round (50) 2014 (TBL)

VAN

Derek Dorsett

NYR

3rd round (85) 2014 (ANA)

VAN

2nd round (50) 2014

TBL

Jason Garrison (NTC)

Jeff Costello

7th round (204) 2015

VAN

Nick Bonino

Luca Sbisa

1st round (24) 2014

3rd round (85) 2014

ANA

Ryan Kesler (NTC)

3rd round (84) 2015

UFA OUT

Will Acton

Peter Anderson

Darren Archibald

Cory Conacher

Zack Dalpe

Brandon DeFazio

Joacin Eriksson

Benn Ferriero

Shawn Matthias

Brandon McMillan

Cal O'Reilly

Brad Richardson

Bobby Sanguinetti

Mike Santorelli

Jordan Schroeder

Tom Sestito

Ryan Stanton

Jeremy Welsh

Mike Zalewski

UFA IN

Richard Backman

Matt Bartkowski

Taylor Fedun

Blair Jones

Ryan Miller (ltd NTC)

Radim Vrbata (NTC)

Yannick Weber

BUY OUT

David Booth

DRAFT PICKS

1 (6) 2014 - Jake Virtanen (RW)

1 (23) 2015 - Brock Boeser (RW)

1 (24) 2014 - Jared McCann ( C )

2 (36) 2014 - Thatcher Demko (G)

3 (66) 2014 - Nikita Tryamkin (D)

3 (66) 2015 - Guillaume Brisebois (D)

4 (114) 2015 - Dmitry Zhukenov ( C )

5 (126) 2014 - Gustav Frosling (traded)

5 (144) 2015 - Carl Neil (D)

5 (149) 2015 - Adam Gaudette ( C )

6 (156) 2014 - Kyle Pettit ( C )

6 (174) 2015 - Lukas Jasek (RW)

7 (186) 2014 - Mackenze Stewart (D)

7 (210) 2015 - Tate Olson (D)

LAST GILLIS ROSTER

13 April, 2014 vs CAL

BOOTH - KESLER (NTC) - JENSEN

HANSEN - MATTHIAS - KASSIAN

ZALEWSKI - RICHARDSON - DALPE

Sestito

Higgins (NTC) (IR)

EDLER (NTC) - BIEKSA (NTC)

GARRISON (NTC) - WEBER

STANTON - CORRADO

MARKSTROM

LACK

Hamhuis (NTC) (IR)

BENNING'S CURRENT ROSTER

6 August, 2014

UFA

TRADE

ROOKIE

BAERTSCHI (T) - SUTTER - VRBATA (NTC)

HIGGINS (NTC) - HORVAT - HANSEN

KENINS - PRUST - DORSETT

EDLER (NTC) - TANEV

HAMHUIS (NTC) - WEBER

SBISA - BARTKOWSKI

CORRADO

MILLER (ltd NTC)

MARKSTROM

For the people who thinks Benning isn't tanking the team fast enough, the good news is, Benning isn't tanking the team. For the people who think this is a rebuild, perhaps in parts, as much as it also is a retool.

Benning is building a new core of players that will be competing for top spots and Cups year after year. They will make the playoffs. They will be hungrier than the bunch Gillis assembled and then let rot away. They will be stronger willed.

Baertschi, Horvat, Kenins, Corrado and Markstrom are the most likely to stick with the team this year; they could not have been playing for the Canucks if all the old NTCs were still handicapping the team. That's five spots that were not available to anyone coming up during Gillis' term as the General manager. That's five sports open for kids who will develop well and with loads of confidence thanks to a system where some short-contract vets will protect them until they can take over.

Sutter, Prust, Dorsett and Sbisa are excellent pieces acquired in the trades Benning made. That's a lot of sandpaper; something Gillis' teams didn't have or had too little of, especially in the playoffs. Gillis even tried to convince us that heavyweights are on their way out of the game. Granted nowadays heavyweights have to be able to skate and contribute in other ways, but when Calgary players are having fighting lessons at practice in order to annihilate fear and doubt in their collective souls, when Brown runs our goalies, and when Keith's elbow becomes part of a game, I'm a happier Canucks fan with Dorset, Prust and Sbisa in the lineup.

Sutter is a special case. He is the actual replacement for Kesler. With horvat's development, either can take on the 2C or 3C spots. No more Kesler bullying kids out of the lineup and refusing to give his spot up at 2C.

Only 9 players, or 42% of the players are left from Gillis' last show to Benning's current team and now the Gillis-Era front office has now been fully cleared.

I don't call this team's philosophy anything. I'm not labeling it. All component parts of the organization are becoming more and more fluid and the team as a whole is evolving by employing all tools available whether it is hiring, firing, trades, drafts, trading drafts, trading for drafts, trading stale players, promotion or any other tool.

You can prediction the future :shock::P

I agree with most but there are still 50% players left if jensen makes the team.Anyways I agree the newer team is harder to play against and should be better then when Gillis left it.I doubt the trades are done and hope to see another spot open up for a young player.Another write up here suggested we try to trade for Jagr,me I wouldn't as we have 9 vets for leadership and 7 is the key number so we are close to havn't a roster even with vets and young guns!

Looks like an unintentional tank to me. Benning has clearly stated that he is not tanking and is trying to remain competitive (rebuild on the fly/ retooling). This upcoming seasons team is clearly Bennings (I would call last season as a transition team - Gillis had just as much if not more input into its makeup). Let's see how they finish. I am guessing 13-10 in the West.

i think benning is going about it the right way, which is different than cdc's way....that's all this is...our opinions and benning's plan...

some people put too much importance on their opinions...some people seem to think, that if they bitch enough, benning will change his plan and follow every opinion on here...brrrr.

Looks like an unintentional tank to me. Benning has clearly stated that he is not tanking and is trying to remain competitive (rebuild on the fly/ retooling). This upcoming seasons team is clearly Bennings (I would call last season as a transition team - Gillis had just as much if not more input into its makeup). Let's see how they finish. I am guessing 13-10 in the West.

Only losers predict failure; in hockey and in life.

Only losers predict failure; in hockey and in life.

Please!!! If I were to play a game against you, I would predict that you are going to fail. Presidents and Prime Ministers predict that their opponents are going to fail. Fighters and athletes of all kinds predict that they are going to win and their opponents are going to fail. Winners of all kinds have predicted failure, not for themselves, but for others.

I would say that he is building a structure and framework for the team to bring in its next group of "foundational players". We don't have those yet, they will likely come as the current group continues to decline through their late 30s.

He has added solid pros and tough to play against players so that some youth can come in and not get the tough assignments as rookies/sophomores (although Bo typically went against the number one centre towards the end of the season).

We have added some nice young pieces but the true lynchpin players have not likely been drafted yet. That will happen as the Sedins decline.

I think it will be a tough year this year unless some young guys step up to a surprising degree, we are just not going to have the scoring IMHO. The west has gotten tougher, very few easy nights. Don't think will be down with the Arizonas but think playoffs would be surprising.

What I like though is we are building a framework to bring in our McDavid/Eichel instead of blowing it up and bringing them into a train wreck. Buffalo is overpaying ROR ridiculously because they have been such a train wreck, and I love how he thanked them for the contract by driving drunk and crashing into a Tim Hortons, pure class.

I definitely like what I see in the prospect pool better than 3 years ago, really only a couple big pieces missing as opposed to Gillis who lost the whole puzzle box.

Really taking a look at where this team is going, I am feeling strongly that this Management is taking this slow, and planning for the future for a good, 5 year stretch. With the recent acquiree of Sutter, a well experienced, moderately skilled, with good potential, not only for him self, but his teamates, they look to be "retooling" the bottom-6, and I would have liked to see at max, a 24 year old, instead of Sutter at 26, it's still a fitting age. However, when I take a glance at Prust, and fasten my self of the knowledge of his age, it really makes me ponder... For many, it would be obvious to make the "safe" assumption that youth is the frosting and sprinkles that most teams are looking to apply on their team, especially in this age, which makes the addition of Prust, to some extent, a confusion. Though, his added experience is never a negative. Also, putting into consideration the talks they must be having with the Sedins regarding their feelings towards the future, and how much more they feel they have left until the inevitable, the same applying for Ryan Miller of coarse, I am smelling hints of cap space renewal for the final step(s). Lets say the Twins and Miller have 4 years left, in that time, Markstrom will get the needed teachings of Miller, the bottom-6 will hopefully have more depth, as well as a good addition, or two to defence, then they'll be gone, and...BOOM! Cap space! Speaking of Markstrom, Management must obviously be more confident in the potential of him over Lack, otherwise I don't know why that trade would have been made, besides minor cap space improvement.

All in all, it's going to be slow and bumpy over the next couple of years, but in the big picture, this team is growing, and I have faith in this management.

GO CANUCKS GO!

Really taking a look at where this team is going, I am feeling strongly that this Management is taking this slow, and planning for the future for a good, 5 year stretch. With the recent acquiree of Sutter, a well experienced, moderately skilled, with good potential, not only for him self, but his teamates, they look to be "retooling" the bottom-6, and I would have liked to see at max, a 24 year old, instead of Sutter at 26, it's still a fitting age. However, when I take a glance at Prust, and fasten my self of the knowledge of his age, it really makes me ponder... For many, it would be obvious to make the "safe" assumption that youth is the frosting and sprinkles that most teams are looking to apply on their team, especially in this age, which makes the addition of Prust, to some extent, a confusion. Though, his added experience is never a negative. Also, putting into consideration the talks they must be having with the Sedins regarding their feelings towards the future, and how much more they feel they have left until the inevitable, the same applying for Ryan Miller of coarse, I am smelling hints of cap space renewal for the final step(s). Lets say the Twins and Miller have 4 years left, in that time, Markstrom will get the needed teachings of Miller, the bottom-6 will hopefully have more depth, as well as a good addition, or two to defence, then they'll be gone, and...BOOM! Cap space! Speaking of Markstrom, Management must obviously be more confident in the potential of him over Lack, otherwise I don't know why that trade would have been made, besides minor cap space improvement.

All in all, it's going to be slow and bumpy over the next couple of years, but in the big picture, this team is growing, and I have faith in this management.

GO CANUCKS GO!

Older players bring a lot more than mentoring that benefits young players. Leadership and culture for starters. Culture: how to win, what it takes to win, how you take a tough loss, how you react to injury or bad bounces, how you deal with playing against guys who were your hero's growing up....and the list goes on.

Any team needs to have the benefits that various age groups and role players bring. Not everybody can be a mentor but young players bring enthusiasm and optimism, players in their prime get the job done and older players carry and pass on the culture of the team (hopefully a winning one). All groups benefit from the presence of the other groups.

So to think that the Canucks should just dump all players over 30 is wrong headed. Management understands this balanced approach. They understand that the support structures within the roster must be maintained too. So when Bieksa had to be moved, who fills the void? Enter Prust. We have all watched Edmonton and how they have had few veteran players and how their young guys are progressing very slowly. So we really want to fall into that trap here?

Archived