The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Hockey News Considers Markstrom And Demko 2 of the Best Goaltending Prospects In The World

SabreFan1

I remember when Markstrom got lit up against San Jose last year.

I remember when Quick got lit up, and hasak, and Brodeur, and Roy, and, and and.....All goalies get lit up more than once every season. It's the nature of the beast. By almost all accounts, Markstrom will become - if he's not already - a much better goalie than Lack. He has a ceiling that could make him top 5.

Tradem

lol - your art is great...

Well I hope your right. It's funny how we used to never have a decent goalie now he seem to stumble on good goalie after goalie

Yes - yes and yes! Check out the career leaders for Van goalies and it really does look like never. We have been so, so spoiled in that regard since Luongo came in and blessed our dressing room or something.

I remember when Markstrom got lit up against San Jose last year.

I remember Lou getting lit up a lot when he played here, let up in the finals three of 7 games as well!!! People round here still think he's a good goalie?

I can see that. I'm pretty sure most hockey fans realize our goalie scouting is top notch in this league. Our defence and 3rd and 4th line building have been the issues. Once our goalies get to Vancouver and stand on their head, it's the fair-weather fans who knock down our reputation. We had Luongo for crying out loud, it still wasn't good enough for some of the fan-critics. Even Cory Schneider had those fair weather fans on this board. IMHO, Markstrom and Demko could be exciting to watch. I just hope the fans are patient.

We haven't used a 1st or 2nd round pick on a D-man since Yann Sauve.

Considering that, it's amazing our defense has held up this well for so long. But the cracks are definitely starting to show.

Where does Calvin Pickard fit in this question?

16 games each in the NHL last year, Pickard with Colorado had better numbers than Vasilievsky with Tampa.

Hell, he almost led the league in save %...

I was thinking of that too. Pickard I say will be a really good starter to have when he is 26/27 and I thought he really settled into the NHL when he got a few starts under his belt. It's just that the goalie prospects on that list are expected to be the most likely ones to reach elite status. I would have to think if Pickard were on that list he would be placed 6 or 7. He definitely looks NHL ready though.

What ever happened to Jack Campbell?

Same thing that happened to Brian Finley, Maxime Ouellet, Ari Ahonen, Brent Krahn, Dan Blackburn, Jason Bacashihua, Adam Munro, Hannu Toivonen, Al Montoya, Riku Helenius, Leland Irving...

Goalies are hard to project. Which is why they rarely go in the 1st round anymore.

He is only 23, which in my opinion is too early to call that he's a bust despite his injury problems. Yet having Lehtonen and Niemi locked up probably isn't boosting his morale. If he has a strong year in the AHL next season though that should boost his value.

I remember when Quick got lit up, and hasak, and Brodeur, and Roy, and, and and.....All goalies get lit up more than once every season. It's the nature of the beast. By almost all accounts, Markstrom will become - if he's not already - a much better goalie than Lack. He has a ceiling that could make him top 5.

10 minutes into his first game though. Not gonna say he is a lost cause but it's hard to ignore until he starts piling up games, and completing them.

10 minutes into his first game though. Not gonna say he is a lost cause but it's hard to ignore until he starts piling up games, and completing them.

Cory Schneider's 2nd game he got scored on 5 times in just over a period. Again, it happens to every goalie. Especially ones that are thrown to the wolves against good teams. Markstrom's lousy start came against San Jose as well, not surprisingly.

It's how a goalie bounces back though. Next time Markstrom got the start he had a .963 SV% and a 1.00 GAA.

Does anybody remember the one game where Schneider struggled against San Jose? Or the one game he got lit up in Manitoba?

Nope me neither.

Yes they play a lot of other games, but these games are special because it attaches the pressure element like no other. Usually a goalie who thrives in big pressure games (a la Carey Price) can be projected to be a decent NHL goalie. This was my point of emphasis on the fact that Demko looked really shaky especially considering that US team was heavily favored. Maybe its just the fact that Russia pawns the US in international play.

Yes they play a lot of other games, but these games are special because it attaches the pressure element like no other. Usually a goalie who thrives in big pressure games (a la Carey Price) can be projected to be a decent NHL goalie. This was my point of emphasis on the fact that Demko looked really shaky especially considering that US team was heavily favored. Maybe its just the fact that Russia pawns the US in international play.

The biggest pressure situation was against Canada, and he played great.

Team USA was definitely not a favorite that year, in fact that was one of their weaker rosters. They were strong in goal, but weak on D, and lacked high end offensive talent outside of Eichel.

The team Carey Price was on was like an All-Star team compared to Demko's. It featured Toews, Letang, Gagner, Little, Neal, Marchand, Helm, Cogliano, Downie, Russel, Franson, Alzner, Staal, Bourdon. Not even comparable in the slightest.

Cory Schneider's 2nd game he got scored on 5 times in just over a period. Again, it happens to every goalie. Especially ones that are thrown to the wolves against good teams. Markstrom's lousy start came against San Jose as well, not surprisingly.

It's how a goalie bounces back though. Next time Markstrom got the start he had a .963 SV% and a 1.00 GAA.

Hah wow, Sanford looks like an allstar goalie in that highlight reel..

Also, Wellwood.... Rob Blake... Nabokov on the Sharks haha so old so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yUXgmeToJA

Like I said, not gonna say he's a lost cause. But you can't brush that game off until you prove you can bounce back, consistently. Benning says when Markstrom gets lit, he almost always bounces back next game. I am waiting to see it at the NHL level.

Like I said, not gonna say he's a lost cause. But you can't brush that game off until you prove you can bounce back, consistently. Benning says when Markstrom gets lit, he almost always bounces back next game. I am waiting to see it at the NHL level.

We're all waiting to see it at the NHL level, he was rushed into the league before he was ready and it set him back but he's done a great job of regrouping and it's time for him to show us what he's got. I wouldn't expect to see him play lights out every game, I'd expect the Canucks to shelter him and let him grow this year putting up with the odd growing pain. As fans we should do the same... Not bitch every bad game he plays and asses him at the end of the season.

Markstrom needs to make the full transition to the NHL and then all is good. Of course, he has to do it behind our defence.

Here is how Cory bounced back. I love BoHo but can't say I'd take him over Cory.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Todd-Cordell/Cory-Schneider-Wasted-Several-Good-Seasons-Backing-Up-In-Vancouver/159/70412

Dod he not just show you stats from his next start that were pretty imoressive? Are they not every bit as indicative as the ones from the SJ hame where the team in front of him looked like a bchl bottom feeder?

Agreed with the calls for John Gibson.

Also think Kristers Gudlevskis should be on that list. Just last year stopped 55 of 57 Canadian Olympic team shots while playing behind a pretty weak Latvian defense, and he also quickly scaled the professional ranks as well. If not with Tampa I'm sure another team would take a flyer on him. [/quote

It was one game

Archived