The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

3 minutes ago, Russ said:

Is that who chargepoint went under? I was waiting to see them become public to put some money down, I have one of their chargers and find it good 

Yes. Switchback Energy (SBE) is expected to merge with chargepoint.

3 minutes ago, Russ said:

Yea! Only had 1k worth around $17 but still happy with results so far 

What's your exit strategy? A JPM analyst just upgraded the price target from 41-46.. It's at 44.30ish now but has gone damn near parabolic. It can't keep up this pace. They have earnings next week as well.

Dow futures today finally took out the pre Covid high. They hit 30,000 exactly. Then put in a (approx) 950 point reversal. 5 of the 30 DOW components finished up between 11-21% and the DOW closed up less than 3%.

Same thing in NQ futures they dropped 4.5% off the day's high.

ES futures hit an all time high today then dropped 3.2% of the day's high. Failing to put in a new closing high.

None of this is encouraging.

NASDAQ tumbles into the close. Dow and S&P close higher but near session lows

Dow's best day since June 5

The major indices opened sharply higher on the back of the Pfizer news on a vaccine. The gains were led by the Dow industrial average the S&P index. The NASDAQ index went along for the ride early on. However, a late day selling pushed the NASDAQ into negative territory. The Dow industrial average and S&P index also close near session lows but still higher on the day. 

• Covid gainers got hammered today including Zoom, Home Depot, Whirlpool, Amazon and Netflix 
Some losers today included:
  • Zoom, -17.4%
  • Crowdstrike, -10.76%
  • Whirlpool, -10.4%
  • snowflake, -9.49%
  • Netflix, -8.56%
  • Square, -7.09%
  • Costco, -5.39%
  • Amazon, -5.06%
  • Facebook, -5.04%
  • Home Depot, -5.03%
  •  
winners included:
  • American Express, +21.43%
  • United Airlines, +19.23%
  • American Airlines, +15.18%
  • Bank of America, +14.27%
  • Boeing, +13.71%
  • J.P. Morgan, +13.62%
  • Walt Disney, +11.87%
  • Citigroup, +11.64%
  • PNC financial, +11.57%
  • Exxon Mobil, +10.34%
  • MasterCard, +9.93%
  • Southwest Airlines, +9.72% 

Edited by nuckin_futz

5 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Yes. Switchback Energy (SBE) is expected to merge with chargepoint.

What's your exit strategy? A JPM analyst just upgraded the price target from 41-46.. It's at 44.30ish now but has gone damn near parabolic. It can't keep up this pace. They have earnings next week as well.

Ah good to know about SBE. 

Honestly I got so little into Nio I'm gonna let it ride and see where it ends up in a year from now. I don't day trade so I'm just grabbing stuff for long term with smaller steadier gains 

2 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

Had to load up on Clorox yesterday with that huge drop.

CVS is on fire lately and my pipeline stocks are doing well.

IBM still criminally cheap as is Cisco, time for big tech to cool off. 

Finally CVS is breaking out. RTX is moving as well. Market moving to the value side. Last week I added to RTX, AQN, PPL, and TRP. I still like the Pipes for the yield as much as anything else. My gold stocks are causing grief. I am heavy on this play and still think the debt issue comes home to roost.  

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Finally CVS is breaking out. RTX is moving as well. Market moving to the value side. Last week I added to RTX, AQN, PPL, and TRP. I still like the Pipes for the yield as much as anything else. My gold stocks are causing grief. I am heavy on this play and still think the debt issue comes home to roost.  

I got some Conoco as well, oil has been beaten to death so.......contrarian view.

Cisco earnings are on Thursday I am gambling that it will go over $40 so we will see.

Holding onto Target, Clorox and Abbott no matter what.

• Upvote 1

Just now, filthycanuck said:

Yikes! I get ya, its so tempting to straddle the line between making a quick buck and roughing it out and striking big.

I still don't know why I gave up on it. I went from managed to passive portfolio and sold everything and said &^@# it on CVNA lets get rid of that as well even though it was one of the few common stocks I was confident in.. 

3 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

I still don't know why I gave up on it. I went from managed to passive portfolio and sold everything and said &^@# it on CVNA lets get rid of that as well even though it was one of the few common stocks I was confident in.. 

defintely patience plays a big part. I was up in NIO, Tupperware, got in early in single digits, doubled but they went on a holding pattern for a few weeks so I sold, then a weeks just popped