Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, AriGold2.0 said:

Even better let’s put a chip inside our body’s so we can be easily scanned.

You are getting “scanned” every day through your phone, security systems, cameras, google, Alexa, laptop, tablet, grocery habits, credit card chips, social media and whole plethora of tracking devices.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

Don't get me wrong. I am certainly not going to be the first guy in the line to get jabbed. If other people want to be guinea pigs let them. Once I have determined it's safe I will go ahead because I'd kind of like to get on a plane again.

This is essentially where I am at.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Trying to invest a bit after reading this thread....   

 

 

Some  money on TSX  and a few equity american mutual funds - Science and Tech focussed.  Trying to be fairly conservative with my funds with maybe 10% on the riskier side..... 

 

Last 7 weeks i feel like markets have been fairly flat overall......   I am up 3.3  % in 7 weeks  in my portolio  which i feel is OK as i am also learning the process as i go. 

 

My wife has room in her TFSA.... I am really thinking about a   Telus, Enbridge or Royal Bank..  Just loading it up for the dividends.......

 

Really not sure if chasing high dividends  5-7 % is the way to go... or go after equity stocks and look for the investment gain.....  

Edited by kingofsurrey
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

What platforms do you use for quality stock research? I just started a 14day trial of Simply Wall St. So far I like it but I am open to other suggestions. Here is a screen shot of their interface.

 

  Hide contents

image.thumb.png.84d1bb701209fd90cc99fa58099b6b52.png

 

I really like the Simply Wall St interface. I've also got the trial but will likely pay for the membership because the decisions I've made based on what I've read on the site has only served me well. 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Trying to invest a bit after reading this thread....   

 

 

Some  money on TSX  and a few equity american mutual funds - Science and Tech focussed.  Trying to be fairly conservative with my funds with maybe 10% on the riskier side..... 

 

Last 7 weeks i feel like markets have been fairly flat overall......   I am up 3.3  % in 7 weeks  in my portolio  which i feel is OK as i am also learning the process as i go. 

 

My wife has room in her TFSA.... I am really thinking about a   Telus, Enbridge or Royal Bank..  Just loading it up for the dividends.......

 

Really not sure if chasing high dividends  5-7 % is the way to go... or go after equity stocks and look for the investment gain.....  

I was watching a YouTube video of a financial guy explaining going for dividends, I will see if I can find it in my history, but he basically said yea its good to go for them but don't stress and try to chase them over other stocks.  I have a bit of stocksk with dividends (RBC/Apple).

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Russ said:

I was watching a YouTube video of a financial guy explaining going for dividends, I will see if I can find it in my history, but he basically said yea its good to go for them but don't stress and try to chase them over other stocks.  I have a bit of stocksk with dividends (RBC/Apple).

Google 'The Dividend Guy'. In Canada buy 'The Canadian Money Saver' magazine. It has all around solid financial advice. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2020 at 6:25 AM, I.Am.Ironman said:

Very promising indeed. A lot of engineers and project manager positions for california which is nice to see. Even a few European positions to shore up their current operations there. That's what I like about them, they are already doing it in Europe so they have some 'know how'

These guys are doing all the right things, this one is really big IMO.

 

https://www.chargepoint.com/about/news/chargepoint-announces-integration-apple-carplay-revolutionizing-driver-experience-ev/

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AriGold2.0 said:

Geeze sure hope they get it for Android Auto too soon.  Hate when it only comes out on one platform or the other.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

What's the eta?

 

Any idea what they issue at?

I thought I read somewhere it will be around Dec 17th.  Could be wrong.

 

I'm worried the price is going to skyrocket from institutions before the average investor even gets a whiff.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, skolozsy2 said:

I thought I read somewhere it will be around Dec 17th.  Could be wrong.

 

I'm worried the price is going to skyrocket from institutions before the average investor even gets a whiff.

There is always a pull back a week or so later.. Snowflake went to 300 and has settled around 230-240

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

There is always a pull back a week or so later.. Snowflake went to 300 and has settled around 230-240

but why do I want to buy in at $230 when we should have been able to get in at $114

 

I'll be seeking a way to enter the IPO at the initial through my lender and broker.

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

@Boudrias &^@#ing Bezos and his online medicine delivery.

:( He had been so quiet that I hadn't thought about it for awhile. I got out at a small profit but I am bidding back in at 66.95. What are you thinking? There is no doubt that there will be a market for Amazon. I am sure the drug companies protect CVS margins to a degree. It is the prescription fees and loss of traffic that hurts most. I still think their walk-in clinics and Aetna are great ideas. They can do the same thing Amazon is going to do as well but Amazon has a lot of experience doing this. 

 

I might just go to HHL and wait. Covered call income with exposure to healthcare still there.  

  • Burr 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

:( He had been so quiet that I hadn't thought about it for awhile. I got out at a small profit but I am bidding back in at 66.95. What are you thinking? There is no doubt that there will be a market for Amazon. I am sure the drug companies protect CVS margins to a degree. It is the prescription fees and loss of traffic that hurts most. I still think their walk-in clinics and Aetna are great ideas. They can do the same thing Amazon is going to do as well but Amazon has a lot of experience doing this. 

 

I might just go to HHL and wait. Covered call income with exposure to healthcare still there.  

Most recently I picked at 59 and 60 so I am still up, I think it’s an overreaction tbh.

But I am watching it in case it drops down more, I picked up some KHC, probably the only food stock that is undervalued.

They have had lot of issues and bad leadership but I am hoping they are turning it around.

 

I was born in the 1970s but I wouldn’t get my prescription filled through Amazon despite the fact that we have Prime membership.

I actually just went to CVS a and Target to pick it up, that’s just me though, i don’t how many “old timers” feel that way.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...