The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

5 minutes ago, AriGold2.0 said:

I snagged 5000 warrants of HZAC. They just released a new SPAC so I'm thinking this one is gonna wrap up shortly. 

500M spac targeting financial, big team.. The CEO is 46 and owns the Dodgers..

1 week turn around or shorter for you?

2 hours ago, c00kies said:

And websites to get into stocks? I've been dying to get in since bank investments are so small.

It depends on what your goal is.  

Most of the posts here are short-medium term trades for the most parts, not really the best for someone starting out.  

I am mostly on Reddit, Stocktwits and also on CDC for ideas.  Still gotta do your own research of course, but if someone is interested in a specific stock, you might want to figure out the rationale behind it and whether it's legit or not.  I think I took a few stock tips from Arigold, NucksPatFan, Sp3nny, and Warhippy (probably a couple of other posters too)... and have done well overall, albeit a dud here and there too.  

Lets just say I trust regular posters on CDC more than Reddit or Stocktwits.  CDC isn't really a pump & dump kind of place anyways.  

2 hours ago, c00kies said:

And websites to get into stocks? I've been dying to get in since bank investments are so small.

I am fairly new. Websites/Apps that I use:

Simply Wall St.: You get a free trial for 14 days and it does a great job of breaking down different aspects of different stocks (value, future, health, dividend) into a very easily interpretable snowflake analysis (easier to visualize yourself than for me to explain). I believe @AriGold2.0 pointed out that you can use fake email addresses to keep getting the free trial.

Investing.ComI prefer the App to the Website, but it provides nice, real-ish time data on stock prices. If you use brokers like WealthSimple, they are often delayed by as much as 15 minutes and can be really not all that useful. 

MarketWatch: Kind of the same as Investing.Com, but its App will also deliver you news. Sometimes it is useful; sometimes it tells me that Hank Aaron died. Maybe I'm just naive, but I don't understand how this news will impact markets.

Cathie'sArkThanks to others in this thread, a substantial proportion of my profits have come from ARK ETFs. This site tells you what ARK is buying/selling. While I am still routinely putting money into their ETFs, sometimes I also use this as guidance for buying individual stocks. 

BarChartUseful for quick details on things like whether the 50-day moving average is above the 200-day moving average, etc. 

WhaleWisdomUseful for seeing what's going on with puts/calls by major hedge funds. Shows 13f filings (form that must be competed by funds that hold at least $100 million in assets).

MarketBeatSimilar to WhaleWisdom. Provides information on a lot of things, including information about Institutional Holdings/Attitudes towards a particular stock. 

If you use Twitter, put "$" before any stock symbol and you can get information that was as well. I generally find people on Twitter to be a bit obnoxious/trying to pump up certain things; look for legit sources and filter out the rest.

I started with Simply Wall St. and moved from there. Good luck! 

• Cheers 3

Haven't posted in a while but I'm proud to say I now have my first 10 bagger. My baby GME is up to $63 today ($73 at one point) and the squeeze is just getting started. Been holding since the $4-6 range with a few small sells on the way up but have now trimmed to half at $57. The rest I'm holding to the moon! Also all the major brokerages including questrade have now raised the margin requirements for both shorts and longs but really it only affects the shorts. I'm almost expecting $100+ on monday

• Cheers 4

3 hours ago, TGokou said:

Haven't posted in a while but I'm proud to say I now have my first 10 bagger. My baby GME is up to $63 today ($73 at one point) and the squeeze is just getting started. Been holding since the $4-6 range with a few small sells on the way up but have now trimmed to half at $57. The rest I'm holding to the moon! Also all the major brokerages including questrade have now raised the margin requirements for both shorts and longs but really it only affects the shorts. I'm almost expecting $100+ on monday

I bought some puts into the close. Still friends? 

::D