The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

This reddit bit is nuts, I've got friends who have no idea what they're doing trying to dabble in GME. I wonder how many others are out there doing the same given the hype. 

Only reason I haven't been sucked in is because I'm fully aware I know &^@# all about stocks. 

9 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

This reddit bit is nuts, I've got friends who have no idea what they're doing trying to dabble in GME. I wonder how many others are out there doing the same given the hype. 

Only reason I haven't been sucked in is because I'm fully aware I know &^@# all about stocks. 

I think Ja Rule is holding an average in the 350's and now trying to pump it on CNBC 

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

This whole thing pisses me off. I legit looked at GME last summer to buy because I like games and gaming stores and gaming companies and their price was dirt cheap. But I was reading about how they were going bankrupt getting crushed by online sales and online services so I didn't bother. And now all that is being defied because of reddit. Even a few hundred bucks back then I'd be retired today. 

35 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

This whole thing pisses me off. I legit looked at GME last summer to buy because I like games and gaming stores and gaming companies and their price was dirt cheap. But I was reading about how they were going bankrupt getting crushed by online sales and online services so I didn't bother. And now all that is being defied because of reddit. Even a few hundred bucks back then I'd be retired today. 

I get it, but ain't this pretty unheard of territory as far as the market goes? It's easy to look back and be disappointed, but there's no way you could have known :(

In the meantime, I hope the stocks you do have kill it 

Guess I'm gonna have to start learning, it seems a bit late for the GME train

Edited by Coconuts

How are you guys keeping up with your 9-5 jobs while trading? I find that I can barely keep up with 1 or 2 of my positions while working, and that's only because I'm working from home. 

I don't think I'd have time to watch the markets at all if it wasn't for COVID forcing everyone to work from home.

4 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

How are you guys keeping up with your 9-5 jobs while trading? I find that I can barely keep up with 1 or 2 of my positions while working, and that's only because I'm working from home. 

I don't think I'd have time to watch the markets at all if it wasn't for COVID forcing everyone to work from home.

Swing trade don't day trade.

Have a plan. If you lack confidence, set a rolling stop loss, or a bracket order which allows you to set a stop loss and a stop profit, if it trades within that range nothing happens. 

Yahoo finance and other apps send alerts to your phone/smart watch/e-mail, etc. if you want price alerts.

Very easy to work full time but stay in the loop. 

If you're chasing penny pumps and stuff though, then yeah, don't recommend. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Each week I only really have 4-5 hours where I HAVE to be doing my job at an exact time. I tinker back and forth between work and monitoring my positions/other stocks during the AM and then focus fully on work in the PM. Other than my job, investing, going to the gym, and playing with my dog, I don't really have any other time commitments. 

41 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I get it, but ain't this pretty unheard of territory as far as the market goes? It's easy to look back and be disappointed, but there's no way you could have known :(

In the meantime, I hope the stocks you do have kill it 

Guess I'm gonna have to start learning, it seems a bit late for the GME train

I guess on the flip side this would have never happened if they weren't a company in bad times. 

• Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Hindsight is always 20/20.  

As you said, with the move away from brick and mortar retail, and plus Covid.... I would have been tempted to short the stock as it seems their future is uncertain at best.  

I mean... how many here actually go to EB games to buy stuff?  I've probably spent like $500 buck there... over the past 20 years.  

On 12/31/2020 at 1:14 PM, Duodenum said:

Predictions for Q1 2021

TTCF $23 -> $35

IPOC - $16 -> $20+ (could be way higher given the news of all their partnerships coming out)

DKNG $47 -> $60+

SESN $1.3 -> $2+

STPK $20 -> $40

TTCF still at 23 area, has been as high as 26ish i think. 

IPOC/CLOV sitting at 14 right now, waiting for the rise. 

DKNG - 54, +7$ so far (+15%)

SESN $1.75, up 0.45C (+35%)

STPK at $33. up $13 so far. (+65%)

On 12/31/2020 at 2:10 PM, Duodenum said:

RMO has taken a beating from 40 to 23, might be where that 6k TFSA room is going on Monday if it doesn't spike back up before I can put in the order.

Fail here. Sitting at $18 range. No strength/volume in this stock. Got out at 21 from 23. Will be back in once it breaks its leading EMA 200 (around $21 right now). 

BFT also breaking out now. 

hello, im looking for help analyzing these calls/puts for gme. im not investing, but looking to help the uneducated masses

what does this mean?

CALLS: there is 56,035 expiring feb5

there total value= strike+((bid+ask)/2) *56,035 is $2,235,159,472.50

the average value of the contracts is $398.89

total movement today @ 14:35ET IS $19,671,661.10

PUTS: there is 192,542 expiring feb5

there total value= strike+((bid+ask)/2) *192,542 is $886,421,232

the average value of the contracts is $46

total movement today @ 14:35ET IS $8,850,531

I have absolutely no idea what this means. I hope a super autist can help

2 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Each week I only really have 4-5 hours where I HAVE to be doing my job at an exact time. I tinker back and forth between work and monitoring my positions/other stocks during the AM and then focus fully on work in the PM. Other than my job, investing, going to the gym, and playing with my dog, I don't really have any other time commitments. 

That's fair. Sometimes I end up just putting off work for the end of the day. My job is out on the east coast but I'm back in BC cause of COVID so working 6-2 makes that a lot easier. 

@NucksPatsFan and yes, definitely swing trading, no day trading, that would stress the hell outta me :lol:

On 12/31/2020 at 3:01 PM, Down by the River said:

I'll play along (EDIT: for anyone new to the thread, I'm brand new to this. There are a few on here whose opinion I value... I don't really value my own opinion and so neither should you):

BITF: $2.50 -> $5.00

ENPH: $175.47 -> $210.00

PCRFY: $11.71 -> $15.00

GLNCY: £233-> £250

EBIX: $37.97-> $49.00

Rationale:

BITF: Mines various cryptocurrencies. Provides computing power to Bitcoin networks. 

ENPH: Energy solutions that may benefit from Biden

PCRFY(Panasonic): Makes batteries for TSLA

GLNCY: Supplies copper to TSLA

EBIX: provides on-demand software and e-commerce services and solutions to insurance, financial, healthcare, and e-learning industries. Cathie Wood talked about new e-learning companies and this one might be on its way. Same with potentially telehealth.

BITF Currently at $3.33; had hit $5 earlier in the year and I mostly cashed out then. Currently up 33%

ENPH: Currently at 186.34; only up 6%. Took a big hit during the GME stuff. Was at $212 (above prediction) for a bit. Expect it to rise back up. 

PCRFY: Currently at 13.01; up 11%. Just over a third of the way there with time to spare. 

GLNCY: Currently at £249.90; up 7%. Surpassed £250.00 on multiple occasions; dipped last week.

EBIX: Currently at $53.55; up 41%. Peak around $63 last week. 

• Like 1

All the high flyers whacked in after hours. GME, BB, AMC, KOSS.

Also this should cool silver off a bit .......

CME futures exchange has raised the margin on silver futures by 18%

Mon 1 Feb 2021 22:29:20 GMT

The Chicago Mercantile Exchange has ramped up the Comex XAG margin 

In response to the spike in volatility.

SI futures maintenance margins raised by 17.8%
  • to $16,500 per contract (from $14,000)